Armor penetration , a big idea.

Hallo And thank u for reading my topic. This is my 1st time making a topic and i would like ur patience for the mistake(s) that i might gonna make.

Armor penetration, What is it? Obviously u all know that Armor pene indicates the percentage of armor that will be ignored by an attack. So Is it true? Is it for the best to have as much as possible without giving attention to all the other stats( Agility ofc ;D ).

Recently i realized that with food buff for armor pene (hearty rhino) i was up to 721 Armor penetration. Well it wasnt bad at all. I was playing with full 20 armor pene Gems + 3x34 Jewels special gems . Then i realized what happened when Gm ( grim tolll) procced. i was like 721+612= 1333 Armor penetration... Y i know thats a lot and useless.

After making some search i found out that no matter how much armor pene u have The 83 lvl bosses ( thats for ulduar and for Totc ) will always have 5% armor. That means that even if u have 100% armor penetration with A procc of Mj or Gm the boss will always have 5% armor and u will have 95 % armor penetration no matter what it sais.

So guys. After making some more maths here is the results ( im not good at maths tbh : ).
    Lets say that u have without sockets 300 armor pene and u are not using Grim toll or Mj . GO FOR FULL ARMOR PENETRATION ( EPIX +20 each) gems. Get as much as u can.
    The other possibility is for the people that is using Grim toll or Mjolnir runestone. Those guys must have max 550-560 armor penetration with gems and gear, because when the trinket proccs u will have around 95% armor penetration. So guys dont do the same mistake as i did. Having 721 armor pene and using Gm or Mj . Just Replace some of ur gems ( not the gear ofc) go for +20 agility and i think u will be Ok

I am w8ing for ur respond to discuss my mistakes so we can improve our dps

name: Ùdasilè realm: Burning legion Guild: Risen lvl 80 Feral druid

Re: Armor penetration , a big idea.

Welcome to a few months ago. :/

Discussions on ArPen are always ongoing and maths were done by more reliable sources already. Assuming you are not a troll, it's nice of you to try but really unnecessary and would probably end up confusing more people than there already are. Your maths seem a bit off from what I've seen elsewhere, too.

Armor pen dies in either Cataclysm or 3.3 (depending on how nice/mean bliz feels)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Theorycrafting and posting numbers on forums
    Not everyone is going to be an expert theorycrafter or mathematics expert, and we're not expecting you to be one in order to participate in these forum discussions. But also be honest about the fact that linking to someone else's work doesn't necessarily turn you into one either.

Was that too harsh? (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by FourofaKind
    Armor pen dies in either Cataclysm or 3.3 (depending on how nice/mean bliz feels)
    Ya, I think it will be later, would take too much effort to change all the stats now lol. But ya all the specs are going to have mastery making you better at what you do, so more stamina agility and intellect to go around!.

Quote Originally Posted by FourofaKind
    I was glad to hear this, much easier to just stack agi with chants/gems than dealing with numbers from arp.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

A big idea ? Sounds more like common sense to me :
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Quote Originally Posted by Telaso
    I was glad to hear this, much easier to just stack agi with chants/gems than dealing with numbers from arp.
    Does everyone want the fucking easy way out?

ArP is so easy to figure out tbh. Every piece that has ArP is ArP "rating" so are the gems. Say ur at 450 ArP rating and want to hit 490 ArP rating. 2 +20 ArP gems get u to 490 ArP. Its really not do difficult.

If ur having trouble finding your soft cap with a trinket go play on a target dummy for 20 minutes.

There not getting rid of ArP becuase its too "mathy" for players. Its too "mathy" for blizzard.

Deleted

Yeah, sure. It's completely obvious. The Tooltips says "reduces Armor by xyz %" but that is just not the correct math behind it. Without a calcualtor and some math you can't get a grip on the stat. And to be honest, itemizationwise ArPen ist utter BS in its design. It favors some classes/specs way more than others. Just compare a MM-Hunter and a SV-Hunter. Or a rogue and an enhancer-shammy. Sure, I'll probably have some fun hitting that hardcap in a few weeks/months but i'll be glad when it's gone.

Armor penetration ruined warrior pvp in WOTLK.
    I hate armor penetration. It's lame and stupid.
    Thank you baibai!

its cool that you are trying to figure it out, but blizzard gave us the armor penetration formula for this very reason. Lots of people have run sims and models to figure this stuff out many months ago.

Guys be nice to the OP - he worked hard and is correct. The actual number for the softcap with trinket is 566, but his suggestion is right there very close to it.

A lot of us on here knew this info already - but maybe his post will help someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trialtm

ArP is so easy to figure out tbh. Every piece that has ArP is ArP "rating" so are the gems. Say ur at 450 ArP rating and want to hit 490 ArP rating. 2 +20 ArP gems get u to 490 ArP. Its really not do difficult.

If ur having trouble finding your soft cap with a trinket go play on a target dummy for 20 minutes.

There not getting rid of ArP becuase its too "mathy" for players. Its too "mathy" for blizzard.
    I'm not saying its hard, I'm saying it will be nice to not have to regem everytime you get a new item to stay at the soft cap.

get to 50% arp w/o grim toll or runestone, then gem agi.

(yes i made this myself with Microsoft Paint in <2 min)

15+ Year Old Account

so the real cap is 95% not 100% ???
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra
    so the real cap is 95% not 100% ???
    no. it goes back to the arpen formula that blizz uses.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Armor_penetration

read through that, and if you understand it all then great for you. If not, then just follow the crowd and use the 100% arpen cap rule of thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Trialtm

You haven't figured out ArPen, you've figured out counting gems. ArPen is actually extremely complicated in comparison to the other stats that only suffer from diminishing returns (exponential decay). The actual amount of armor removed through armor, and therefore damage increase, is different from the tooltip on the character screen.

Playing with a target dummy doesn't help you find your softcap, it just shows you that ArPen trinkets work. You need to do some math to find that the cap is actually around 1230. The way ArPen is actually calculated was shown in a WowWiki link in an above post. If you have to choose between 2 pieces of gear and one has ArPen on it, you're gonna need to do some serious number crunching to find out a dps difference between the two, and if math isn't your thing then you're gonna be making misinformed choices or relying on someone else's BiS list.

The problem with ArPen imo is that you don't always know how much armor bosses have. Although it's been pretty consistent around 13k (I think, this link says so anyhow), it could change and Blizz wouldn't tell us. As well, it's more complicated than any stat should be as it removes some players ability to understand the game and misleads them (by saying armor reduced by up to x%).

For OP:
    This table shows that even at the ArPen cap of 1230, A boss with roughly 13k Armor will still have around 2500 armor (some interpolation with the table).