heard that 0/53/18 is better should i switch

can anyone recommend a rotation for whichever spec is better

also can you tell me if my gear is suitable

thanks in advance

Re: recomendations to help me get up my dps and such

Not trying to be an asshole here but...

http://elitistjerks.com/f75/

Personally, I like TTW/FB better than FFB specc, but that's a personal choice. However, you need a lot more haste for that specc so let's stick to FFB for now.

First thing you need to be going for is the hit cap, which is 11% w/o talents. So, look for gear with hit raiting on it and even start gemming for hit untill you reach that 11%. Also, get that spell penetration gem out of your legs. >.<

After you're hit capped, start looking at stacking some spell power and haste.

The rotation's pretty simple; Start with a LB, then FFB untill you get the insta-PB. Keep LB up at all times, and just rinse and repeat.

P.S- If you're really having a hard time getting the hit cap (which you shouldn't), you might want to look at speccing arcane instead.

Salkor - Blood Elf Mage (US Illidan)
    Bottom - Tauren Druid (US Altar of Storms)

Hunters; The special children amongst retards.

your gear really sucks, you have the same amount of spell power i had at 70 in okay gear. spend some gold on the ah and get yourself titansteel weapon at the least...then do heroics nonstop to get your free t8.5 you dont deserve.

and get rid of that spell penetration gem in your pants! It's a (seen from a pve perspective) useless stat.
    But yeah, run a couple of heroics, get gear upgrades by badges, drops and craftables (for example, get your tailoring up for awesome lightweave embroidery) and then try again, because quite frankly your gear isn't really up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by riccou
    then do heroics nonstop to get your free t8.5 you dont deserve.
    Someone sounds bitter.

But as others have said the MAIN thing you need is hit. Get hit capped before you worry about anything else. New gear will help with hit cap. But gems should be hit until you reach the cap which varies depending on your spec. You can find out hit cap through some simple google searches. Then you can start worrying about anything else.

But, I personnally use 18/53/0. I really like that spec. Its a pretty common one. I don't think there is really a need to switch it, unless you really want to for some reason.

Change the enchant on you boots to Icewalker (12 hit and 12 crit), buy an eternal belt buckle and put a +hit gem in your belt. Re-gem your legs to a +hit yellow gem and whatever that +sp/+spir purple gem is (you could also just do double +hit gems and ignore the socket bonus.)

The spec you're currently in (18/53/0) gives you 3% hit from talents. 26 hit rating is 1% so you'll need 364 hit rating to reach the 17% hit cap. This is the most important thing to do to get your dps up. One million spellpower doesn't mean anything if your spells don't hit the boss.

The rotation for 18/53/0 is: Apply Living Bomb to the boss, when Living Bomb explodes reapply it > Fireball (if Hot Streak procs, cast pyroblast, then continue as normal). Sometimes you'll get very lucky strings of Hot Streaks so make sure you're watching your aggro.

Look through AtlasLoot or wowhead and find out which heroics drop things you can use (Heroic Utgarde Keep and Heroic Culling of Strat both drop rings that you could use) and just keep running those. Good luck

And here I'll explain what people did not explain after just stating everything out of the blue.

Here you have 2 people mentioning 2 different things about hit cap.
    Technically it's 17%, usual arcane spec gets 6% from talents, FFB gets 3%, and ttw fire gets zero. this being said, in heroics the hit cap is lower, and in raids there should hopefully have a shadow priest or boomkin to put that 3% hit debuff on the boss, therefore you only have to aim for 14% WITH talents. (I suggest having extra hit gear to switch just in case there's no shadow priest or boomkin in your raid, shit happens.)
    More importantly, Arcane Focus only gives hit rating to your arcane spell, nothing else. NOTHING. ELSE.

On another note, your rotation will slightly vary also depending on the group rotation, if you need to put up scorch debuff or not but I suppose the whole 5xscorch and keep it up isn't so complicated. Don't stick to the selfishness of most mages who just spam fireball because the number is bigger they think they do more dps, they just think they do but in fact they dont, scorch debuff is highly worth it, just not enough to justify the glyph or to spam it on another other than bosses. (and only if there's no other similar unstackable crit debuff).

okay so lets say i get the 17% hit.

what heroics do i need to do??

Quote Originally Posted by matticusmage
    okay so lets say i get the 17% hit.

what heroics do i need to do??
    You need 6% hit for heroics.
    Do all of them! Try find a group for ToC (guild?) doesn't matter if normal or heroic they both drop loads of cool cloth-dps stuff.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Do heroics, use Atlas Loot to see what epics drop from which bosses and try to get those. save up your emblems to get better gear from the vendors. It's the type of game where all you can do is farm sadly =(

In terms of spec, I was FFB for quite a while. I did rather like it, but then out of nowhere I tried a 18/50 whatever/0 spec. All of the sudden my DPS is higher by about 1000 or something. (Used to pull mid 3k, I tried the new VoA boss last night in 10 man, was pulling 4k+) So I guess stick with the fire/arcane spec. For offspec I'd go Frost. Not only for PvP, but I use it for certain fights like Deconstructor that is AoE heavy, or the Faction Champions in 10 ToC. Plus I just like it, but that's just me.

Losing the +8 expertise and +8 hit rating gem in your helm might be a good place to start.