Goblins as shaman?

Just curious what others thought about this change in Cataclysm. Goblins as portrayed in the WoW universe are rather greedy and industrial. They rape the land for resources, their cities are made of cold metal and have that blizz "steam punk" feel. How does this fit? Seems to make about as much sense as having a goblin druid....

Goblins in other fantasy worlds such as D&D, sure, but I don't see it in WoW

Re: Goblins as shaman?

i see what you mean.
    In many other games like you said goblins often have a shaman role. Oblivion D&D etc
    perhaps the goblins rediscover their heritage.
    As thrall is apparently saved by the goblins after a shipwreck Thrall being a shaman this could all have something to do with it.
    Goblins rediscover their ancestors who help them at a time of need! seeing as the goblins encounter natural disasters (shipwreck volcano etc) i could see a goblin shaman being born out of need for his protection.
    Correct me if i am wrong but shamans use the powers of the elements and their ancestors?
    If so when the goblin race is in such danger as it was in the Cataclsm trailer i can imagine these....ancestors being concerned.

but meh
    this is bliz we are talking about. They will find a way!

little fuzzy on my shaman lore, but if I remember right, shamanism is a communication with spirits, not so much a tie to the natural land.

They're calling the aid of spirits to lend them powers, where druids would actually pull power from nature itself.

Industry doesn't fly directly in the face of shamanism as it might with druidism.

I don't know how to argue away the pillaging of the land though, I'm sure the earth spirits might have some problems with that. Only argument I could throw out there is that Blizz kinda said that the 'horde goblins' were just one organization, tied to only one (or more) of the trade princes. Those princes may not 'pillage' as others might.

Come to think of it actually, the goblins we see tearing out mountainsides for mining and whatnot are mostly Venture Co., and they employ a number of races, Dwarves included. So it's probably not fair to associate the actions of the Venture Co. with that of Goblins as a whole.

Yeah, I'm gonna stick with that

Shaman are basically elementalists, calling upon elements. Some people mistakenly believe that they're similar to Druids, but in fact, druids are quite different, communicating with nature - the comparison is little kitties and plants as opposed to gigantic fires, thunderstorms, etc.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

I know this is tough to believe......

BUT

Just because some members of a race (in this case goblins) do something (in this case desecrate land) DOESN'T mean all of them do.

Tiny Green Shamans FTW.

shamans are more like witch doctors, IMO than say ... druids

shamans work more with the elements than with the forces of nature

Stood in the Fire DaveTheHunter's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

I'm looking forward to this. I already have an 80 shaman, but as soon as they allow paid race changes to goblin I will be doing it. I already have a name saved on my server too... Rakanishu!

Quote Originally Posted by failoth
    shamans are more like witch doctors, IMO than say ... druids

shamans work more with the elements than with the forces of nature
    Ultimately though they are quite similar in result. But they do draw from quite different sources of power. Druids draw upon spirits of nature (post-Titan, demi-gods) and Emerald Dream. Shaman tends to draw their powers from the elementals, who are more associated with the Old Gods.

I don't remember if they are currently allowed to be Shaman or not, but I could think of a few reasons why they would want to be one.
    1) Controlling elements = profit!
    2) They work closely with elements to begin with, especially in the old times. Hell, they even crafted Deathwing's armor scale for him, didn't they? They ought to be pretty close to Ragnaros and the other elementals that also served him.
    3) They are after all part of the horde, whose culture rely heavily on Shamanism.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragoonLord
    little fuzzy on my shaman lore, but if I remember right, shamanism is a communication with spirits, not so much a tie to the natural land.

They're calling the aid of spirits to lend them powers, where druids would actually pull power from nature itself.

Industry doesn't fly directly in the face of shamanism as it might with druidism.

I don't know how to argue away the pillaging of the land though, I'm sure the earth spirits might have some problems with that. Only argument I could throw out there is that Blizz kinda said that the 'horde goblins' were just one organization, tied to only one (or more) of the trade princes. Those princes may not 'pillage' as others might.

Come to think of it actually, the goblins we see tearing out mountainsides for mining and whatnot are mostly Venture Co., and they employ a number of races, Dwarves included. So it's probably not fair to associate the actions of the Venture Co. with that of Goblins as a whole.

Yeah, I'm gonna stick with that
    Well it's also a Shamans job to maintain the planet essentially. Druids and Shaman both share the job of healing the earth. I feel like they will be the 2 highlighted classes of this expansion.

15+ Year Old Account

If you read at all how Thrall became a shaman, you will know he didn't really choose to be a shaman. The spirits put him through trials to see if they wished him to be a shaman. How goblins would go through the same trials and be allowed to be shaman? Blizzard only knows at this point. I think it is a poke it the eye of their own lore, but we shall see what BS they pull out to make it work.

It can't make less sense than spacesquid shamans, and shooting lightning bolts does fit a goblin engineer ;D
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

I remember hearing an idea, that the goblins did a deal with the elements, and thats how they are shamans

sounds pretty goblin-esque to me

From what i understand Shamans arent all tree hugging nature loving people, not lore wise anyway. Trolls may live in huts but they arent exactly respectful of natural ways, their shamanism is more of commune with spirits and gods... and eating them for moar powah. Goblin shamans are more of the Geomancers type. They are mages that focus on land magic over arcane. examples would be, make earthquakes, start volcanos, command lava etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Shamans are very connected to the land. The lore makes this very clear with the story of the orcs and their fall. When they betrayed the Elements and took up Fel Magic which destroyed their planet it was a long time before the elements eventually forgave them. They don't tear up every time a tree falls like the druids but they are very connected to the natural world. Its part of their ability to be one with the elements to be able to use them properly. Anyone who read the shaman quest on the horde side should realize that.

The difference between Shamans and Druids is that Druid is what they primarily raw their power from. In the warcraft lore Druids draw most of their strength from living things and life spirits. Shamans draw their power from the elements. There is a level of cross over though same as a Paladin and a Warrior. I both smash things with their sword basically but they draw power from different sources so they can do different things. A typical druid can make trees grow and spread life they embody nature. A typical shaman can call on any of the elements to serve what purpose is needed, they are like hammers made of nature. If druids are natures shield than shamans are nature sword.

I was always disappointed at the very small roles Shamans were dealt in WoW while druids hogged all the spotlight. Finally, 3 expansions later Shamans get some spot light. People can't grow trees out of this problem now, they need some real nature power! I really don't see how the goblins with all their techno-gadgets fit into the shaman class. They cut down trees, strip mine land, pollute water, spoil air, and abuse fire. In fact playing as a shaman i always hated it every time i saw the Venture company cause i knew i'd run into a bunch of goblins doing something they shouldn't be doing. I'd like an explanation. Maybe these aren't the same group of goblins or something but an explanation is definitely needed because goblins have been anything but nature friendly and they've never shown an ounce of respect to anything thats not money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic

Shaman are Witch Docters. If you read not in lore but actually read. Indian "Shaman" are called Witch Docter

Quote Originally Posted by Denaka
    Shaman are Witch Docters. If you read not in lore but actually read. Indian "Shaman" are called Witch Docter
    WoW shamans are not witchdoctors(except trolls ofcourse)

Your being to literal, "shaman" in real life is a title given to native spiritual leaders by usually western explorers, there are both "shaman" and "wichdoctors" in the americas, africa, and australia the terms are interchangable mostly due to explorers being to lazy to learn how to pronounce the native word for the spiritual leaders.

In WoW shamans are described as spiritual leaders who commune with the elements, and it is a jump to imagine goblins communing with anything without a sizable profit involved. Thats where you have approach goblin shamans from a different perspective, instead of being spiritual leaders they are economic leaders who are more successful than most and become leaders, while instead of communing with the elements they bargain with elements insuring a mutually beneficial agreement, heck they might even haggle with the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuldain
    I know this is tough to believe......

BUT

Just because some members of a race (in this case goblins) do something (in this case desecrate land) DOESN'T mean all of them do.

Tiny Green Shamans FTW.
    But by this logic all races should be able to be all classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganius
    But by this logic all races should be able to be all classes.
    not particularly, all forsaken are dead, so they couldn't really get in touch with nature and become shamans and druids