Algalon 10 from hunter's point of view. Movie and a handful of tips.

Hey everyone. Here is my armory.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...strom&n=Zuhaha

I want to share with you this movie. Obviously it's an Algalon kill. You can watch it on
    >>>>>>>>>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yjY7...<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

or download the HD version (It's 1440x900)
    >>>>>>>>>>>http://www.filefront.com/14481301/Al...0HD%29.avi<<<<

My reasons are following:
    1) I feel like there isn't enough movies from hunter's PoV.
    2) If you are doing Algalon 10, you only have 1 hour a week to learn so you can use every chance to learn something before you actually engage the encounter (Tho our first kill was also first evening with me in the raid so the fight isn't that hard to learn)
    3) I wanted to see other's people opinion on my movie-making style.

To explain number 3. I feel tired of this pattern for making PvE movies, which goes like: Flashy black'n'white intro. Trance music. Credits.
    For PvP movies it's basically the same, just more flashes and replace trance with some hard rock. That's why I think it could use something different. Hence the music. I must say there isn't much editing in this movie. That's because it's not meant to be tutorial movie. If you guys think I should make tutorial (aka add comments, highlights and explanations to the events, feel free to say so in this thread.

UI addons: Dominos, Xperl, Sexymap, Forte Xorcist, Prat, Titanpanel, Mik's scrolling battle text.
    I can see people asking about the cooldown timer bar. That's one of the Forte Xorcist parts. It's simmilar to Coolline, but you can set your own scale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [size=12pt]Now to the fight itself. (I assume you already read up on his abilities)

The start is simple. MD your first tank, nuke Algalon before the stars spawn. You can blow your CD's there, if you are MM (As in RF, trinkets, readiness. You won't need them for new few mins.) If you are SV, you might want to save RF for last 20%. You can also lay a trap before he becomes attackable to proc LnL.

The biggest difference is whether you are killing stars or not.

A) You are not killing stars. In this case, unless you are kiting the constelations (I don't think that is a job that would require hunter), you will have literally THREE things to worry about, besides DPSing the boss.
    Cosmic Smashes - Those are the orange circles on the floor, followed by explosion. Much like Mimiron's rocket from below, BUT the damage is lower, the futher you are. Unless you have really low health, you can survive standing few yards away from them, however, if you can, you should move at least 15-20 yards to minimize the damage.
    Dying Stars - This is fairly obvious. Don't stand next to the star that's about to die. You'd get phased instantly.
    Big bang - Don't mess up on this one. Make sure you know which hole will be available and get there in time. Tips: Disengage is your friend. Use AotViper in the phased realm. Remember to send pet on Algalon again after this phase (Yea I know I forget that a lot)

B) You are killing stars.

Smashes and Bang are still an issue. Dying stars won't really matter as you are the one deciding which one will blow up. See above for these 2 if you skipped that part.

Killing the stars
    - You will have to keep up steady DPS while switching targets often. When you watch the movie you can see I am at 4-5k DPS while killing stars, and usually have time left.

The important part is to time the death of the star. You can do that easily by slowing / stopping DPS at ~10k and just blowing it up with Killing Shot, when everyone in the raid has enough health to survive it. (It's around 12-15k dmg). Make sure it's in the right position too. You can even stop DPSing one star and switch to another one, if the original star is heading too far to the side / too close to the melee.
    - The stars get constant damage, so watch out if you leave star on low health. Make sure it doesn't blow on it's own in bad moment -
    Try to kill stars that are far from everyone, but not too far from Algalon.

At 20%, you switch to Algalon and burn him down. As we learned, he will still cast Big Bang in this phase, so be ready for that in case you haven't had 3 of them yet. This is the part where you can use your CD's again. If you are MM, you should now have trinkets, RF and readiness ready. Which means 2 rounds of shots + 30 sec rapidfire.

Enjoy your loot (Which by the way is utter crap in 10-man, from hunter's point of view.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So anyway, hope this would help some of you. If you have any questions, ill try answering them.
    Check the youtube info section for more... uhm.. info.

If you made it this far without being killed by this wall of text, you deserve a cookie.

Thanks for reading and watching.
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
    ~G.B. Shaw

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Algalon 10 from hunter's point of view. Movie and a handful of tips.

Hi,

What's that addon called that displays your damage on the side of your character.
    For example: 19023[Killshot] <--- Icon.

Thanks in advance

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

It might be Parrot.

Quote Originally Posted by iHunt
    Hi,

What's that addon called that displays your damage on the side of your character.
    For example: 19023[Killshot] <--- Icon.

Thanks in advance
    Mik's scrolling battle text. It's a custom setting, which displays crits in different font than normal hits (those flow on the right side)
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ttle-text.aspx
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
    ~G.B. Shaw

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks alot guys, but I already found out myself. Well I'm using parrot now. But thanks anyway

FWIW, killing entire waves of stars like in the video isn't optimal - he respawns them on a timer, and will only respawn enough to make sure there's a total of 4 up - so if you kill 3, then wait (and dps the boss instead), he'll only respawn 3. You can then kill one of the new ones, the one you left up from the first wave will die on it's own (or some help from you), you can leave the other 2 new ones up, and when he respawns them again, he'll only spawn 2 new ones.

This gets a bit tricky across big bangs because when you emerge from a bang you need to pick up a low hp star instead of any random star, but it has the advantage that you spend a lot more time on the boss, which is helpful for a first kill.

Also, the alg10 loot isn't all bad, both the quest ring and the dropped ring are very good until you get ToC loot - the quest ring was BiS pre-ToC.

Nice video though (although personally I disliked the music even more than the usual techno >.>)

FWIW, killing entire waves of stars like in the video isn't optimal
    Well we are so far ahead with the DPS there is no reason to risk it. But yes if DPS on the boss is your problem then you might want to do this.

Also, the alg10 loot isn't all bad, both the quest ring and the dropped ring are very good until you get ToC loot - the quest ring was BiS pre-ToC.
    There are 3 items suitable for hunter, and all of them are needed by mutliple classes. Not the best lootlist they could give him if you asked me.
    ~G.B. Shaw

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

k for the vid but Arcane Shot on a MM ArP build, even during Grim toll proc and when kill shot was available made me smile ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Destard
    k for the vid but Arcane Shot on a MM ArP build, even during Grim toll proc and when kill shot was available made me smile ;D
    That was because it was right after cosmic smash and I didn't want to blow the star just then.
    ~G.B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Professor
    That was because it was right after cosmic smash and I didn't want to blow the start just then.
    Owned.

Haven't watched the video yet, but nice idea mate. We have only had one Alagalon attempt so far unfortunately (having attendance issues) however when we did, I was managing stars so this will be interesting to see if you managed them differently to me.