Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Prot Pallies - Regemming/chanting

The way I see my enchants and gems is good but I like to get other peoples point of views on this sort of thing
    here is my armory
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...estrasz&n=Atli

I usually use LoO and Black heart trinket just picked up the boot which dropped me from 232 to 183 hit...

I'm MT usually and I think i might need to get my hit up a bit maybe drop the dodge/def chant on shoulders and get stam/resil

Lets see what you think.

Re: Prot Pallies - Regemming/chanting

Keep the Dodge/Def on Shoulders.
    Replace Str and Parry gems with Agi or Dodge.
    Vendor that Parry trinket.
    And afaik def is the best enchant for chest.

Ps: Move 2points from conviction into pursuit of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Keep the Dodge/Def on Shoulders.
    Replace Str and Parry gems with Agi or Dodge.
    Vendor that Parry trinket.
    And afaik def is the best enchant for chest.
    as I said in post I use black heart instead of parry one and i use LoO also, as you can see i dont need the def so either its stats or hp for chest imo my dodge is high enough and the parry/stam gems even it out a lil bit

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle
    as I said in post I use black heart instead of parry one and i use LoO also, as you can see i dont need the def so either its stats or hp for chest imo my dodge is high enough and the parry/stam gems even it out a lil bit
    Told you to vendor the trinket because it's utter crap (you'll get too close to the parry cap when you activate it -> value is greatly diminished).
    Parry is far worse than dodge unless you have like 2 times moar dodge rating than parry, so gemming for parry is useless in most cases.
    Def is still the best avoidance stat so there is no "I don't need def".

15+ Year Old Account

Honestly from what i can see your going for threat too much, gemming str isn't good, the libram isn't good honestly,(in fact the EoH one gives more SBV) the first thing any prot paladin should get is the one from Triumph, which gives a static 3~% Dodge, and even the hit enchant on gloves isn't good, personally i run with 35 hit rating (yes, rating) and the taunt glyph for when the tank switches are really needed, unbuffed ive got around 1300 SBV and run with the 0/53/18 spec (with PoJ,HotC and Vindication) and I'm yet to find a boss where my threat isn't high enough, I've tanked the gimmick fights (Hodir and Vezax at least) and as long as your dps knows what threat reduction is you will never have a problem, go for more stam and def gem-wise, and don't go out of your way for threat anymore.

I read somewhere that the libram is getting buffed to better reflect its iLevel in 3.2.2

Lunita

i'm pretty sure you can stay def capped if you replace your shoulder enchant with the pvp one. (30 stam/15 resilience)
    imo, 30 stam/15 res (res is useless i guess but still) >>>> 20 dodge

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by fxcw
    I read somewhere that the libram is getting buffed to better reflect its iLevel in 3.2.2
    Yes, but by that time every PvE Prot paladin should have the new Triumph libram and just be keeping the HS one for BGs

Quote Originally Posted by fxcw
    yeah, its increased to 432 sbv if i remember correclty..
    But as the poster above says, triumph libram should easily be taken first.
    If its called Tourist season, why can't I shoot at them?

If you want to know if you should gem for dodge or parry you can use this formula:
    (dodge% - 10) / (parry% - 10)

If it is less than 1.88 gem for dodge, if it is more than 1.88 go for parry.

Also in this post 3.2 world, and the dodge rating nerf therein, defense gives more pure avoidance (combined miss, dodge, and parry) per rating point than both Dodge and Parry.

Problem isn't your gear. Its your spec. Change spec so that there is one point in Improved Judgements and start using 9696 rotation. Like:

Pulling with Avenger's Shield
    9: Judgement
    6: Shield of Righteousness
    9: Holy Shield
    6: Hammer of the Righteous
    9: Consecration
    6: Shield of Righteouness

repeat from 1 to 12

That does maximum threat, and you obviously arent doing that.

I'm going to say this again just to make it clear...

Libram of Obstruction is my libram (EoH libram)
    The Black Heart is my trinket that replaces Rune (parry trinket)

forget the fact that i am using both of them at this point in time i was looking at stuff before servers went down and armory doesnt have my proper ones equiped.

apart from those 2 items...

I have almost got enough EoT to get the dodge libram

When i was gemming for dodge/stam i had 35%+ dodge in raids and my parry was at about 17%

Now for the str/stam gem im trying to work out why the hell i put that there where it should be avoid/stam gem (my stupidity)

With my hit I noticed when i had fairly low hit that a lot of my abilities would be deflected or avoided..so is it best to drop the hit all together besides my gear of course and gem for stam/avoidence?

Threat has never been an issue for me either for General or anything either so idc about the threat decreases tbh

Quote Originally Posted by samladin
    Problem isn't your gear. Its your spec. Change spec so that there is one point in Improved Judgements and start using 9696 rotation. Like:

repeat from 1 to 12

i didnt say i have a problem...i said im regemming/chanting

Quote Originally Posted by Lunita
    i'm pretty sure you can stay def capped if you replace your shoulder enchant with the pvp one. (30 stam/15 resilience)
    imo, 30 stam/15 res (res is useless i guess but still) >>>> 20 dodge
    There is NO DEF CAP!
    15 def + 20 dodge > 30 stamina.

There is NO DEF CAP!
    15 def + 20 dodge > 30 stamina.
    this is true, i did some research on dodge/parry v def rating

as another poster in here said def gives more than dodge/parry which makes it worth while for me to switch my chest chant to def

Quote Originally Posted by samladin

repeat from 1 to 12

Ok, I know some people live in a myopic world in which there is never a reason to break the 969 rotation, but if you're looking to invest points into getting past tier 2 in ret and someone else buffs might, 2/2 Imp. Judgments and 3/3 HotC tends to be the best bet. Would you rather put the points into LOLBenediction? Here's a hint. If you're not losing threat from being OOM, Benediction has had 0 effect on your fight. 2/2 Imp. Judgment does not prevent you from using 969. All it does is take the ability off cool down early. Something that is actually beneficial in certain situations.
    Looking for a great guild on Tichondrius?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyneside
    Ok, I know some people live in a myopic world in which there is never a reason to break the 969 rotation, but if you're looking to invest points into getting past tier 2 in ret and someone else buffs might, 2/2 Imp. Judgments and 3/3 HotC tends to be the best bet. Would you rather put the points into LOLBenediction? Here's a hint. If you're not losing threat from being OOM, Benediction has had 0 effect on your fight. 2/2 Imp. Judgment does not prevent you from using 969. All it does is take the ability off cool down early. Something that is actually beneficial in certain situations.
    2/2 Judgements is still pointless almost every situation. I use 1/2 Judgement + 3 HotC + 2 BoM + 0 Conviction instead of 2/2 Judgement 3 HotC + 1 Conviction, which is at least useful in heroics and 10 mans.

Nillo I would say your tanking spec is more of a heroic tanking spec, not a raid tanking spec. You're wasting a lot of those points you have in the ret tree.

edit:

Getting back on topic, Alti I don't see a problem with any of your gemming and enchanting choices aside from the hit gems. I seem to do fine sitting slightly above 5%. Everyone gems and enchants their gear differently and it used to matter in a raid boss tanking situation, but not so much anymore. (in certain situations) some people like to gem for avoidance while I prefer gemming for effective health (because of argent defender).

Quote Originally Posted by Inept
    Nillo I would say your tanking spec is more of a heroic tanking spec, not a raid tanking spec. You're wasting a lot of those points you have in the ret tree.
    Nani?

Btw.: The spec that is not a raiding spec is yours.

Nani?
    What's the reasoning for wasting over 10 talent points in the ret tree when they will more than likely already be brought by a ret paladin or another class. With those points if your goal was additional threat, would be to pick up seals of the pure in the holy tree, or anything more beneficial.