Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot - Fights that need you to substain/generate high amounts of threat

I just started tanking with my pally in wotlk he is decently geared tanked/farmed heroics for emblems and all that good stuff...

Anyhow, this week i was invited to tank a uld 10, the group was very geared but i did good tanking/holding agro until hodir...

I've done all my homework, stick to the 9696 rotation religiously but i could not hold threat worth a piss during that encounter...

Any tips fold building/maintaining threat in those types of fights?

Thanks in advance

R

Re: Prot - Fights that need you to substain/generate high amounts of threat

Make sure that the first round of crit buffs that someone gives it to you. Pop wings and watch the 20k Shield of Righteousness crits.

If you dont get the buff quickly and possibly more than 1 time you are going to have some fun trying to keep Hodir from killing the DPS'rs

10+ Year Old Account

Stacking buffs is key to hold aggro, popping wings and any other dps boosts can help you build aggro as well. If you are still having trouble, find your worst offender (usually warlocks... I'm guilty of this) and macro a BoP/Salv for them. If you have them, rogues and hunters must ToT/MD on you as well. Also for the initial pull have all the ice blocks broken to gain a slight lead on threat(assuming normal mode).
    Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

If the tank gets 0 buffs, and the dps get haste/crit you don't stand a chance on this fight.
    "Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party. I'm sorry, but those skills, entirely missing now in WotLK, are the real signs of skill and ability to tank effectively."

Quote Originally Posted by Aerikaya
    Stacking buffs is key to hold aggro, popping wings and any other dps boosts can help you build aggro as well. If you are still having trouble, find your worst offender (usually warlocks... I'm guilty of this) and macro a BoP/Salv for them. If you have them, rogues and hunters must ToT/MD on you as well. Also for the initial pull have all the ice blocks broken to gain a slight lead on threat(assuming normal mode).
    LOL yes! the warlock in our group was the first one to pull from me!!

R

15+ Year Old Account

Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defense are your friends. I hope you have some sort of aggro meter like Omen, watch the bars, as soon as someone pulls Taunt. Also, Hand of Salvation will slow down those aggro whores pretty quickly. If you have another paladin in the raid he should be using his on those with high threat. If youre the only one, i suggest a macro that targets and cast HoSalv. I would bet the same guy is pulling off you all the time so its a very simple /tar ??? /cast HoS macro.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Losing aggro on Hodir is not a big deal. He is tauntable, ranged DPS should always stand at max range so you can taunt back if you see Hodir switching targets.
    Watch out on Flash Freeze - if some ranged are over 100% aggro and you have to get out of melee range, taunt the second Flash Freeze is over.
    If you have problems with resisted/missed taunts, use the Glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defense are your friends. I hope you have some sort of aggro meter like Omen, watch the bars, as soon as someone pulls Taunt. Also, Hand of Salvation will slow down those aggro whores pretty quickly. If you have another paladin in the raid he should be using his on those with high threat. If youre the only one, i suggest a macro that targets and cast HoSalv. I would bet the same guy is pulling off you all the time so its a very simple /tar ??? /cast HoS macro.
    yup have the usual raid mods (omen, dbm) did not think about making bop/hos macro but will make one for next time...

thanks all for your input

R

Hodir is tauntable, so you can always get him back (unless your dps are really stupid).

as stated above maintaning aggro on hodir requires you to get the crit buff asap and as much as possible without standing in other things to stand in a haste buff....this pretty much lvls the playing field since dps are using these buffs too

and yes he is tauntable so make sure you are ready to taunt at all times, have salv and bubble macros set up and make sure your dps know what omen is and how to avoid pulling the boss which in most cases is their fault anyways
    Have an iPhone? Want to keep up to date with the latest iPhone news? Check out theiphonespot.net

only 2 fights require so much threat that somebody is actually close to pulling.

6minute Malygos

Hodir

hodir is worse cus you actually have to keep your finger on taunt cus it WILL happen that the damn mage will pull (the one in my guild gets up to 16-18k dps... there's just NO way that you can do that much TPS even with the buffs.)

if the Melee are pulling off you then you're doing something wrong. if the casters are pulling then that's normal just be ready to taunt when he turns to them. (Omen threat meter helps to see when that will happen.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    only 2 fights require so much threat that somebody is actually close to pulling.

6minute Malygos

Hodir

hodir is worse cus you actually have to keep your finger on taunt cus it WILL happen that the damn mage will pull (the one in my guild gets up to 16-18k dps... there's just NO way that you can do that much TPS even with the buffs.)

if the Melee are pulling off you then you're doing something wrong. if the casters are pulling then that's normal just be ready to taunt when he turns to them. (Omen threat meter helps to see when that will happen.)
    yes it was mostly the casters pulling, as mentioned above in our group it was the warlock and i just couldnt keep him off of him

R

he should be soulshattering... mages will pull aggro cus the constant raid damage makes it impossible to go invis.

he should be soulshattering... mages will pull aggro cus the constant raid damage makes it impossible to go invis.
    Invis has been changed so the threat drops regardless.

Also, If you can, beg for a stormcloud from your raid. Just get one and you should have plenty of threat for a loooong time.

this was changed last patch....dmg no longer interrupts invis =D kinda miss the tank always yellin at me though :'(
    Have an iPhone? Want to keep up to date with the latest iPhone news? Check out theiphonespot.net

thanks again for all input...all in all i think it was a combination of me being unprepared and people not paying attention to their threat...I def should do better next time...

the funny thing is that i also tanked steelbreaker during IC and didnt have any problems when ranged dps was nuking from inside runes of power...

R

Quote Originally Posted by Ricg
    thanks again for all input...all in all i think it was a combination of me being unprepared and people not paying attention to their threat...I def should do better next time...

the funny thing is that i also tanked steelbreaker during IC and didnt have any problems when ranged dps was nuking from inside runes of power...

R
    Luckily those are temporary, and not as big of a boost as when in Hodir mages can spam 50k crits off at 1-1.5s cast haste beams. Then throw a bloodlust...

Just to echo some of the comments already posted for you, losing aggro on hodir is quite normal. The crit buffs the are provided to mages and warlocks make them hit for crits and rolling damage from things like ignite that are beyond the capability to hold aggro. The key is to actually use this excess threat to build your own aggro. As soon as hodir turns to run after a ranged taunt it back. This will climb your threat. As long as it isn't done too often to make him go immune, taunting frequently against these buffs really helps.

This is even more true on hardmode, where the buff is purposely being spread to the ranged dps and they aren't looking for threat, they are just trying to cause as much damage as possible durning the time limit. On hardmode losing threat isn't just normal, it WILL happen and has to happen if your dps is doing enough damage to down the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defense are your friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiss
    Hodir is tauntable, so you can always get him back (unless your dps are really stupid).
    Except the part where he goes immune if you taunt too much trying to get agro for not having buffs =\.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Hodir if your tanking make sure your always have the haste buff, move him as needed. Also getting a moonbeam next to a fire is killer for threat as a pally since seal dmg will proc the singed dmg and debuff.