Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Belf, Troll, or Undead... oh my?

So I'm about to faction/server transfer my mage (already moved my paladin) to the horde, and I'm trying to figure out what race I should switch to.

I'm more leaning towards a troll or a belf at this point... belfs have higher base intellect and arcane torrent, but trolls have berserking. I don't really PvP all that much outside of the occasional BGs, which is why I'm not really considering an undead, unless someone can convince me why I should.

Thoughts?

Re: Belf, Troll, or Undead... oh my?

Blood Elfs are Fun and Sexy.

Troll all the way if you PvE

Troll all the way, coolest Horde race around.
    Hopefully "at least" means "sometimes three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number flame shock shall tick, and the number of ticking shall be three. Four shalt thou not tick, nor either tick thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou holy lava burst of antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall suffer at least two more ticks of flame shock. Amen."
    :3 -Whowherewhat

i dont like jungle trolls, i remeber this game called warcraft 2, if they actually gave us thos trolls i would nva roll anyother race

Blood Elf has the best racials although I do like the female Undead casting animation
    Never pick a fight with someone who has nothing to lose.

wait for cata then go orc

Quote Originally Posted by retrofade
    So I'm about to faction/server transfer my mage (already moved my paladin) to the horde, and I'm trying to figure out what race I should switch to.

I'm more leaning towards a troll or a belf at this point... belfs have higher base intellect and arcane torrent, but trolls have berserking. I don't really PvP all that much outside of the occasional BGs, which is why I'm not really considering an undead, unless someone can convince me why I should.

Thoughts?
    Some things you would have to consider depend on your current race.

If you are a Gnome you will probably notice a slight drop in mana, ergo a Blood Elf would be a bit more attractive in the mana gain factor (6% mana return every 2 minutes is quite nice) but If you are going for increased dps you should go Troll all the way.

If you are a Draenai and enjoy having a self heal for clutch situations I would see undead as a very attractive race in that regard. Cannibalize could probably heal for more, but it is all dependent on your current spell power (if you are a Draenai) vs your health (if you switch Undead). And 1% hit is a benefactor you will have to compensate for with your characters gear, pure and simple.

If you are a Human you are more than likely used to having a pvp trinket at your disposal, and 'Will of the Forsaken' more or less can accomplish that desire. 3% spirit doesn't really yield any noticeable differences in health/mana regen (neither does troll health regen) but you will probably loose and have to compensate for a chunk of crit (dependent on your current spirit of course).

A lot of these buffs are situational, and in the back of your head I guarantee that whatever you end up picking you will probably run into a situation where you will say "man... if only I chose troll instead of undead..." or whatever.

Personally, if I wanted to focus purely on raiding I would go troll (I am one now anyway) but keep in mind that if you pick Troll you aren't going to be magically better at pve and worse at pve (20% increased cast speed is in no way bad for pvp). For another example, having Will of the Forsaken and Cannibalize doesn't mean you will suck at raid dps compared to Trolls and suck at mana management compared to Blood Elves. ALL of these racial traits are purely bonuses, and these tiny perks DO NOT break the game (although in cataclysm they probably will... lol). Go with whatever you think you will have the most fun with. :P

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Trolls are always the best for Mages when it comes to PvE. The haste is just OP.

I'd go troll if I were you just for the haste buff. When the xpac comes out though /shrug.
    That one retired mage.
    http://dotabuff.com/players/75546158 Main DotA account
    http://dotabuff.com/players/135984949 Secondary DotA account

Troll if u are an elitist pve dps jerk :P so to speak
    Undead "female" if u are into looks and animation.. "male is meh shoulder proprtions for a skeleton :>
    BELF male is just gay looking sorry to say but IMO
    BELF Female doesn't beat UD female looks nor animation ;p

as since my char is a female mage undead and mostly into pve i dont' benefit from racials at all, i don't care that much tbh it is still teh cutest mage in the server at least !
    Valhalia @ Xavius EU

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ValTehMage
    Whats with all the hostility? They look the best and play the best.

Who doesn't want a Racial called 'Da Voodoo Shuffle?'

Quote Originally Posted by Uggrukor
    Trolls are always the best for Mages when it comes to PvE. The haste is just OP.
    I wouldn't call it OP, I mean, with my Mage Being a Troll, Berserking doesn't work with every haste trinket out there (some share CD's, and that can get annoying) and with say that buff stacked, plus icy veins, plus Bloodlust I could get to a fireball cast of about 1.4-1.5 seconds (roughly).

So if I were to purely spam fireball for those 10 seconds I could get in about 7 fireballs.

Now if i lose the 10 second haste I'm roughly working around a 1.7-1.9 second fireball cast which will give me about 5 (maybe 6) fireballs in those 10 seconds of casting.

So I mean, yeah, 1 or 2 extra fireballs is definitely nice (and if any of those crit it could yield a good spike in your dps) but it certainly isn't OP.

Undead "female" if u are into looks and animation.. "male is meh shoulder proprtions for a skeleton :>
    BELF male is just gay looking sorry to say but IMO
    BELF Female doesn't beat UD female looks nor animation ;p

as since my char is a female mage undead and mostly into pve i dont' benefit from racials at all, i don't care that much tbh it is still teh cutest mage in the server at least !
    Ok, so don't pick Blood elves b/c they are 'gay fags', if you are a rich fag pick Troll, and don't pick female Blood elves because they date gay faGS!

Sorry man, that's all I heard, seems like you are just pissed about male blood elves having long hair. We are talking about racial bonuses here, not looks.

we are talking overall my dear friend and ofc it was full of IMO
    and that was IMO :P i'll recap
    i don't care about looks gief maximized dps value :gief troll "male female shemale whatever "
    looks are win gief undeadz
    what about belf animation IMO is inferious to undead's ones ;p
    i think the original poster got some added value from my post anyways since i'm quite sure he is more than familiar with racials by now
    Valhalia @ Xavius EU

Troll PvE - Lolzerking.
    UD PvP - lolwotf.
    Belf - fags.

Icy Vain, Haste trinket, Berserker. then maybe add a Blood Lust (spell stealable) and hyper speed ex. on gloves = gg.

i made a enh sham and i use it when im in trouble and i need a quick healing wave when i LoS and dont have maelstorm, but i can also set up melee burst w/ wolves, BL, Berserker and Windfury Totem. its works pretty nice.

as for BE, i have a mage BE, the xtra silence is nice but there is DR on silences so you have to watch what you spell you hit 1st. i would want to see how the xtra 20% would be w/ icy veins, trinket and maybe a spell stolen BL.

Troll haste is imba in pve and pvp...for me BL + icy viens + berserking gets frostbolt down to 1.1s, albiet only for a few seconds its still very fun

Troll, when cata comes out you'll be able to change your race as well (or shortly thereafter) so if there's something huge that you're not liking about your troll, just switch.

That, or wait until cata comes out with the new race changes and decide then. Since you can have a toon on each faction, you may want to keep your gnome just the way it is. Especially if they get something notably helpful/intriguing that you'd like.

Would suck to have to pay for two faction changes for the same toon.
    Bill Gates could laugh in our faces and say "lol you're not Billionaires you suck at life lol" but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't, even if he is a dick to work for.
    -Bodi

we are talking overall my dear friend and ofc it was full of IMO
    and that was IMO :P i'll recap
    i don't care about looks gief maximized dps value :gief troll "male female shemale whatever "
    looks are win gief undeadz
    what about belf animation IMO is inferious to undead's ones ;p
    i think the original poster got some added value from my post anyways since i'm quite sure he is more than familiar with racials by now
    Has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?