Stone of choice...

So I was reading up on EJ forums and they said that Spellstone > Firestone for any spec... Being a destro lock I've always used firestone... Am I wrong? The only reason I can see it being better is since haste > crit, and maybe the extra periodic damage of immolate would make conflag hit harder... any ideas here?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Stone of choice...

Until T9 when haste scaling starts to become poor again, they're about equal with Spellstone marginally winning out.

The difference is so minor its not worth discussing. Pick what you enjoy, and when your Haste Scaling factor dips below 1.2, then its time to stick with Firestone regardless.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback
    So I was reading up on EJ forums and they said that Spellstone > Firestone for any spec...
    There are several threads, and tons of posts by many people. Somewhere someone might have said that spellstone > firestone, and even if it was correct when written, that might have been several patches ago and things might have changed.

elitist jerks, destruction thread

quote:

Firestone or Spellstone on weapon?

Even though haste is a better DPS stat than crit, the 1% extra damage to DD-spells outweighs the benefits of Spellstone by far.

Since it's in the first post, I guess that makes it a bit more "official". But there's no math there to support it, but maybe elsewhere in the thread, can't be bothered to search for it at the moment :P

yes please read their first post first.
    affliction and demo use spellstone and destro uses firestone.

15+ Year Old Account

Here:

My personal SimCraft output with 10,000 iterations and FIRESTONE:
    7248 100.0% GHERKIN_T8_00_13_58

Rerunning with 10,000 iterations and SPELLSTONE:
    7266 100.0% GHERKIN_T8_00_13_58

Above 1.4 Haste Scale Factor, Spell Stone

1.2 - 1.4 Haste Scale Factor, Insignificant difference

Below 1.2 Haste Scale Factor, Firestone

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback
    So I was reading up on EJ forums and they said that Spellstone > Firestone for any spec... Being a destro lock I've always used firestone... Am I wrong? The only reason I can see it being better is since haste > crit, and maybe the extra periodic damage of immolate would make conflag hit harder... any ideas here?
    You are right to use firestone as deep destro, yes haste > crit but you gotta use your brain a bit and not just blindly do whatever someone in EJ is saying, I dont know your level of gear but I remember it being really easy to reach 500+ haste in T7 gear, which is really good, I am sitting at 577 haste myself at this time, which is getting a bit overkill (can reach 630 with switching couple items) and going for more haste with spellstone is a waste, also since as deep destro you ain't using much dots at all, a bad idea..

So the 1% boost to direct damage spells > 1% boost to dots, and at that amount of haste it does not benefit you enough to overweight the direct damage boost.

But in the end of the day, it's all about how you have balanced your stats with gear, if you lack a LOT of haste (ie. have around 300-350) then it might be worth to use spellstone but like I mentioned above, even in T7 gear its easy to reach the level of haste that you definately don't need to use spellstone...