Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    (Disc) Priest becoming FotM?

    I don't know what it is, but I see a lot of (Disc) Priests popping up lately. It's actually the most common class/spec in my guild () and even when pugging Heroics there's almost always a Priest healing us. I find myself frequently using my Shadow spec because it's actually Ranged DPS that's more in demand.

    Anyone else noticed this?

  2. #2

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    A disc priest in semi decent gear is IMO the hardest thing in the game to kill. with 95023439843 different shields and instant spells and then a channeled spell that i think is like 1.5 seconds and only gets shorter with haste that heals for like 1billion, why wouldn't u want to play it... its uber survivabilty, and good heals.... that or a druid healer.... 4 dots ticking away and then insta casts for 15k..... i cry in arena's when we fail on open bursts ...

  3. #3

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    I used to play a T8 disc priest, pre the easy way of getting it through badges. Then, when it was announced that gear was going to be available far more easily through badges, suddenly they diden't want my priest anymore. The guild was flooded by priests! Shadow, Holy, Disc I belive we had seven active priests with me.

    - Instead I was told to come on my Warlock for raids, even if my Warlock was still wearing T6. I belive that is the first time I have ever been asked to get on a worse geared toon to assist my guild.

    I can defenetly see more priests around. Now that I have started PvPing on my Warlock ( WLD setup ) half of the enemy teams have a priest or pally. I barely see druids or shamans around. About the FotM I am quite unsure how to answer on that one. Priests have always been a valueable asset to guilds, but as of today every second priest runs around in awesome gear but plays like a retard. We had a T9.5 Priest that failed healing a 40k hp tank in Totc heroic...

    @ Bambi: A Disc Priest is indeed a power to be reconned with, but for our setup they go down really, really fast. Theres nothing that destroys a disc priest like Mortal strike, bladestorm + Silence added a little mix of Shadowfury + Chaosbolt :> Especially since half the teams with Priests seems to carry along a rogue. - Rogue runs to the priest to disarm warrior - Shadowfury + Bladefuck em both. When will rogues learn to stay away from the Warriors?

    Dark times for the priest class my friend, dark times.

  4. #4

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    At least from a PvP perspective, all the healer classes are fairly in line with each other with the exception of protadins, and once they're tuned in 3.2.2 we'll be more or less alright.

    From a PvE perspective, I can sort of understand where your coming from; while it all sounds plausible I personally haven't seen this on my thinly populated realm

  5. #5

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Been playing disc priest pvp wise for 2 years now. Switched to disc from holy for pve when disc became viable. I'm the only disc priest in my guild. I don't really understand why you say disc priests are FotM... I'm more inclined to say that Spriests are, ever since they got buffed... just like shamans. All we come against in arenas now (3v3s) are shamans, possibly simply for their BL/heroism. However this may possibly vary from realm to realm and battlegroup to battlegroup.

    Best way to kill a disc priest in pvp is to oom him or make a warrior sit on him. It ain't so hard really. MS screws a priest over especially since he doesn't have any mobility whatsoever.

  6. #6

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    In PvP there has always been bucket loads of Disc Priests so I haven't noticed any difference.

    But in PvE I have noticed a subtle rise in the number of Disc Priests. I've been Disc since TBC came out, never wanted to go Holy. Back in TBC I never saw any Disc Priests do PvE, it was the same in the beginning of WOTLK, all Priests were Holy.

    However in the last few months I have noticed more cropping up, not sure why. I don't mind tho as most of them have Holy as offspec and if we need a Raid Healer they just respec and I stay Disc.

    I am Priest - Play Free Online Games

  7. #7

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    At least from a PvP perspective, all the healer classes are fairly in line with each other with the exception of protadins, and once they're tuned in 3.2.2 we'll be more or less alright.

    From a PvE perspective, I can sort of understand where your coming from; while it all sounds plausible I personally haven't seen this on my thinly populated realm
    I would much rather come across a prot pala than a sham / druid.

  8. #8

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Because Discipline wasn't viable in PVE until WOTLK.

    EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

  9. #9

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Im currently leveling my priest after shelfing it for about 2 years at 60.

    Hit lvl 70 yesterday, Im loving shadow for leveling and have disc as offspec for healing dungeons.

    Its a very different healing experience when I compare it to healing on my resto druid.

    Ive no doubt pvp probably has some part in people playing priests again as I have bumpd into plenty of priests in BG that are very anoying to take down.

    But of course the same can be said of a good resto druid or shaman.

    People will either like it at endgame or say meh, not what I was looking for and re-roll.

  10. #10

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Quote Originally Posted by G l o w y r m
    Because Discipline wasn't viable in PVE until WOTLK.
    Since when?

    Apologies if you were being sarcastic, it's hard to tell sometimes.

    I was Disc all through TBC and WOTLK and haven't ever felt I wasn't in line with other healers.

    I love Disc and will stay that way forever hopefully.

    I am Priest - Play Free Online Games

  11. #11

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flormelis
    Rogue runs to the priest to disarm warrior - Shadowfury + Bladefuck em both. When will rogues learn to stay away from the Warriors?
    yeah...feint + evasion > bladestorm, but nevermind dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by Davantius
    However, I have now learnt that Belguim is on the east side of Germany not the west so thanks for the correction

  12. #12
    Pandaren Monk Eis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    1,879

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Disc wasn't "as good" as holy in BC. It got some loving in WotLK and now it's great.

    But on topic, priests are just pure awesome. Duh.

  13. #13

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    in pvp, they're the least FOTM/OP healer

    in pve, they're simply viable with 3 specs for the first time in the history of wow

    in pve they're in good shape, althought shadow is scaling poorly with all the gear and most of the fights involve a lot of switching and moving which hurt spriest dps, and they simply lack the utility that once defined the class, but they're OK with 3 specs which is good

    in pvp, holy isn't viable in pvp and a nice talent that priests need (body and soul) for pvp is not worth taking

    -they have the lowest mana regen and least reliable ways to regain mana in a pvp environment (disc or shadow)

    -they have the least throughput of the pvp healers

    -spriests have mind flay as a snare. by snaring their opponent, they root themselves which is ridiculous. also, when they have to use dispersion, they silence themselves and can still be snared/slowed/stunned (tooltip is either wrong or misleading).

    -mass dispel and psychic scream, 2 very crucial spells, miss a LOT and you can lose a game/match based on RNG, which blizz said they don't like, but haven't addressed with priests. in reality, removing the 10% chance for spriest to proc blackout (short duration stun via shadow damage) and the addition of psychic horror actually gave spriests LESS time to get away or set up the dots. it was a nerf overall and we got control at the cost of having to tank more damage

    -a priest is only as good as his partner, they lack the ability to take up anyone's slack. a disc priest can't outheal a mistake or two whereas all the other healers can, not to mention, with the CC options available to them, they can slow the game down which is an advantage

    -priests lack mobility and for multiple seasons in arena, have relied on rocket boots to keep up with druids, especially after druids got the run speed buff in tree form. as it is now, priests are the most stationary class in the game in pvp with no way to counter it. shadow has a bit more mobility but really have to use all their cds to set up their dots and still, you have to do it while taking stuns and damage across your face

    priests have good synergy in PMR but that's more because of how tough mages and rogues are in pvp and how much control they have more than anything. the higher resilience and HP gets on average, the less ideal priests are in that roll.


  14. #14

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfoot
    Since when?

    Apologies if you were being sarcastic, it's hard to tell sometimes.

    I was Disc all through TBC and WOTLK and haven't ever felt I wasn't in line with other healers.

    I love Disc and will stay that way forever hopefully.
    disc was as good at single target healing as druids and shaman (worse than pallies) but worse than all other classes in AoE healing before 3.0

    if you played disc in pve, you'll remember that the AOE spells were restricted to the party only. there was no reason to be disc in raids before penance came about and they became the tank healers

    it was as viable as melee hunters and smite spec

  15. #15

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Disc has been popular for quite some time now... pretty much after the first buff to disc several patches ago. I don't know why though, I actually had disc as my first OS when LK was first out well before it was popular and thought it was quite good. A lot of people said Disc was garbage etc, but it was a pretty decent spec even then.

    After the buff it just became the popular healing spec. It was around this time I got bored with it, the novely wore off really. It's a very easy spec to play and I didn't find it very challenging. The niche aspect was more limiting than I realised and I changed my OS to Holy. Pretty ironic that the vast majority of people did the exact opposite.

    I still maintain Holy is far more fun, far more dynamic, far more skilled to play. But the population seems to think Disc is more fun than Holy... I think it's jsut because it's an easier spec to play but people aren't to either admit that or come to terms with it.

  16. #16

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Quote Originally Posted by greysin
    disc was as good at single target healing as druids and shaman (worse than pallies) but worse than all other classes in AoE healing before 3.0

    if you played disc in pve, you'll remember that the AOE spells were restricted to the party only. there was no reason to be disc in raids before penance came about and they became the tank healers

    it was as viable as melee hunters and smite spec
    I used to enjoy having a Disc Priest in my raids in TBC. As a Boomkin and mostly top-5 DPS without being threat-capped, I would get the buff, whatever-it's-called, that increases spell haste. Good times, good times.

    More on topic; On my realm, there is a severe lack of Healers. I wouldn't mind if there were more Disc Priests. There is also a lack of tanks; I've a screenshot of ToC HC LFG with 14 people in it, only Warriors, Paladins and DK's and a Druid, not a single one of them listed as a tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    I'd ride for the sole fact that its a huge cock. It'd be hilarious.

  17. #17

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Quote Originally Posted by greysin
    in pvp, they're the least FOTM/OP healer
    lol
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

  18. #18

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drawz
    lol
    druids were top healers 5 of 6 seasons
    paladins were top healers 1 season

    priest/rogue and pmr are 2 of the most common combos there are, but still, priests have never been the top healer for even one season

    with the nerf to mana burn, the nerf to fear/blind and the buff to blind/cyclone, even though priest/rogue and PMR are still around, the options are better for other classes than ever and priests have only had things taken away

    i've played every class but paladin to 1800 and every class but shaman/paladin/mage to 2k

    healing with a priest still requires more perfection because one mistake or one bad RNG can lose a game for you

    disc was always the healer that could dps and force the issue with other healers. now, the HP and res is too high and a priest's mana regen too low to be able to do as much dps, but they're still being outhealed by druids, paladins and now shaman, not to mention those classes ALL have a cc to work with and more mana to play with

    what sucks is when you need a mass dispel to get that holy paladin down but it misses 2 times, he's at full hp and you're down 2k mana of your 16k mana pool

  19. #19

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    From a pve perspective:

    I have played priest for 4-5 years as healer. Using dualspec holy and disc.
    I feel that disc shines in 5mans and 10mans. Unless there is some nasty tankhealing like algalon.
    The discpriest HPS just seems to hit the roof and more would be needed. Holy paladins are the kings of tankhealing imo.

    In a 25man raid environment im most often holy as the guild has a very active disc.

  20. #20

    Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

    Disc is aweseome..

    People roll it becouse it's a good spec. I heal HC's with 60/11/0 PvP spec and I'm doing just fine.
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

    I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •