Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Disc Priest becoming FotM?

Fotm doesn't mean it's overpowered to the point where you'd never lose >.>

It just means due to certain events/changes, a class/comp that was rarely seen before now has a huge influx of players running it. Think Beast cleave.

Despite changes, RMP isn't the "best" team. It's just strong, and has a lot going for it even with the fear/blind nerf. Meh, I run RKP myself, and it's a little weird, but start of the season and not having any real problems yet.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq
    I think there's a few good reasons why Discipline has gotten popular. One of them is that Discipline is one of only two primarily tank healers out there. Sure, Druids can do it fairly well too, but with the massive amount of burst damage on tanks and the distribution of raid damage, I'm often finding Druids just make more sense as raid healers. Even moreso, as I'm sure most people are aware, the Disc/Pally MT healing combo is just plain sick and it beats out any other pair of tank healers out there hands down. Secondary to that is that Discipline brings a little bit more utility to the raid with faster/cheaper dispels, Power Infusion, and Renewed Hope, the first is compared to Holy, the but the other two are things that no one else brings. All of this pretty much means that virtually every raid will want a Discipline Priest as the first Healing Priest in the raid.

The other thing is just that the playstyle is very different. Playing Discipline feels a lot more like playing DPS to me than Holy does. A lot of the fun of Holy to me is the mana game, but a lot of people don't seem to enjoy that, and that aspect is largely gone from the Discipline playstyle. Discipline is also a lot closer to having a rotation than Holy is, so while you don't get the epeen from topping the meters of a DPS, you still get about as close to that playstyle as you can with a healer. Of course, I think a lot of the power of Discipline comes from doing more than just spamming on the tank, and I try my best to utilize that because the whole rotation thing is boring to me, but I see a lot of Discipline Priests not taking advantage of the lack of a CD on PWS or BT hasted PoH.

So, I guess, my theory is that Discipline appeals a lot to people who may have rerolled as Priest because they were interested in getting a raidspot and a healer was the only way they could do it. An ideally played Discipline Priest still requires a healer mentality, but it is a spec that a DPS mentality can also do okay with while it would fail miserably at Holy.
    This is an interesting point, back in classic priests were the number one healers, they healed the tank and it was seen as an important role. With Holy being stereotyped as a raid healers only it annoyed a lot of holy priests who wanted to do some tank healing. So with that in mind going disc gives them the ability to tank heal and do what is perhaps concieved as a more important role.

Been a priest since BC. Was Holy back in the day - these days I roll Shadow and leaving healing to the truly passionate about healing. Whenever I was asked to heal when wrath came out, I always went Discipline - I just thought it was a really nice change in style from Holy. But then they made some changes to Holy that made me really start to enjoy it. I'm still a Shadow priest at heart - hell, if you look me up in armory, I currently have 2 shadow specs - I've never had to heal for a raid. So I've started utilizing my dual spec for alternate shadow specs for Hard Mode fights. Any time I have to heal it's only for Heroics.

However - I've noticed a distinct lack of priests here on Exodar. A sizely portion of priests I've seen have come and gone - a lot of them have been truly terrible no matter what spec. For instance, there's only a few notable Shadow Priests on my server, horde-side. I will admit, though, that most of the time when I see a healing priest it's usually Discipline. Why? Here's my thoughts - Shamans are better raid healers, Paladins are better tank healers, but Disc is a very fast paced and almost as equally capable as a Holy Paladin. The play style is a bit different from most healers. Also, Discipline priests offer something no other healer really can - true prevention. They also bring great utility compared to Holy Priests.

So why are so many healing priests disc?

A) A different kind of healer
    B) They're great in PvP
    C) They were once Holy and when they made Disc they just wanted a different experience.

Personally - I've grown out of the disc thing. I like it, but most of the time I never get to utilize it. No matter what raid I'm in main tank healing is always left to either the Paladins or the Resto Shamans (which they do very nice after some recent changes). So I get better raid healing capacity as a Holy preist. And personally I really just feel Holy is more fun. That's just my opinion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Disc just rocks! ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne
    Shamans are better raid healers...
    Can't say I agree here, Holy Priests are arguably the strongest raid healers right now. I'd say Resto Druids are definitely very close, you could even make a strong case to say that they are perhaps slightly ahead. I just believe the burst type nature of Holy makes them better in most encounters than druids but its very interpretational. Druids can MT heal a bit more effectively... but anyways.

I'm not sure where Shaman are but I don't see them along the same power level as Priests and Druids.

You don't have to be OP to be FotM. Perhaps FotM isn't the right word, I was just noticing an increase in popularity.

Now, I think Priests are the most interesting healers out there, and I figure many people agree or have come to agree. You have a lot of tools and can do some amazing healing, limited mostly by your mana.

Discipline Priests don't have to be more effective than Paladins to be the most common healers, just more fun. And it should be obvious they're not underpowered, so that's not standing in their way.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyJester
    You don't have to be OP to be FotM. Perhaps FotM isn't the right word, I was just noticing an increase in popularity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Fotm doesn't mean it's overpowered to the point where you'd never lose >.>

It just means due to certain events/changes, a class/comp that was rarely seen before now has a huge influx of players running it.
    RMP has only been the most popular 3's comp ever in existance right? At least half the teams in most of the tournaments run RMP. Even in the days of DWL, RMP was still 2nd or 3rd most popular depending on the season. Its been realy popular forever.

FotM refers to somthing that IS too good and that will get lowered at some point. People know its too good so they /reroll or w/e to the comp/spec/class/race just becuase they want to easily be the best. Just like allot of people switched to at the start of WotLK when they saw how unbalanced they were. They are in a better spot right now and as you can see the population of active DK's went down. That is FotM and it always has to do with somthing that is unbalanced and where people know it is and those are the reason they play it.

If you havnt noticed RMP keeps getting buffed not nerfed.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Priests are preaty stable, at what they can do and how powerful they are ..
    Thats other classes around beeing buffed and nerfed .. up and down.
    With incoming ("soon") Prot healing nerf, people start to look for something to replace...

IMO there is no FOTM healer atm .. if you start looking who is most popular, or best at certain tasks, you might find one or other class is better .. but calling it FOTM is to soon.

About Holy in PvP ... it would be great with GS work. Sadly you can count on it like rogue on Vanish .. cool to have, might save the day .. but specing, and hoping each game it wont fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Daros

IMO there is no FOTM healer atm .. if you start looking who is most popular, or best at certain tasks, you might find one or other class is better .. but calling it FOTM is to soon.
    I couldnt agree more with you on that. I think all healers are in a realy great place right now and that it comes down to play style more then who is the more powerfull healer.

I have every healer except for a shamen at 80 and I love them all.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Quote Originally Posted by Kelandraa
    I'm more inclined to say that Spriests are, ever since they got buffed...
    XD

LAWL.
    DO NOT ASK 4 NINNERVATE!>?

Quote Originally Posted by Daros
    The FotM (rip thank god) is the Prot Paladins, but like you said, that's going to die. I don't really think there's a class that's anything near say S3 Druids, or something. I remember rerolling to a Druid early in S3 because in BG gear/Blues I was able to do substantially better than my Paladin who was already in mixed T6/S3 gear. Embarrassing.

Discipline rocks for Heroics healing... i mean i shield everyone up and keep that up the whole instance... tank maybe needs a penenace or so sometimes but thats it... i often end up on like 600k absorbed and 100k healed in heroics

also disc has some fun stuff like this

I chose a priest when I was lvling RAF with a friend. When I got to 60 I went disc solely because Penance is awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPower
    RMP has only been the most popular 3's comp ever in existance right? At least half the teams in most of the tournaments run RMP. Even in the days of DWL, RMP was still 2nd or 3rd most popular depending on the season. Its been realy popular forever.

FotM refers to somthing that IS too good and that will get lowered at some point. People know its too good so they /reroll or w/e to the comp/spec/class/race just becuase they want to easily be the best. Just like allot of people switched to at the start of WotLK when they saw how unbalanced they were. They are in a better spot right now and as you can see the population of active DK's went down. That is FotM and it always has to do with somthing that is unbalanced and where people know it is and those are the reason they play it.

If you havnt noticed RMP keeps getting buffed not nerfed.

how is a mana regen nerf and blind/fear nerf a comp buff?

10+ Year Old Account

I know in my realm - Eonar (US), there is a short supply of priests, especially Disc ones. Majority are either Holy or Shadow but most of the time, in PUGs, you would rarely find a priest for heals. Usually dominated by Holy Pallies, Trees or Resto-Shammies.

Hmmm, I've been doing some census shots on my server, and Priest is the 4th class in popularity.

Maybe it's a local problem then? To be honest, I don't see that many Priests on the cross-server BGs, just while leveling and in instances/arena's.

Re: (Disc) Priest becoming FotM?

fotm? nowai. in pvp is the worst healer. i got a disco with 1079 resi and 26k hp self buffed. and get pwnd by 2 melees in 7 sec. and in 2v2 rogue hit u till 5k and then stun and stun, noway to overcome it. even with pain supretion ferals hit u for 4k. warrs 3k ms. tbh prefer to wear a shield and plate and got 25k armor... than a poor 40% reduction every 3 mins... and there is no cc, fear are miss 7/10 times, priest dont got any cc. cause droo got root-cyclone, and can shape to go away from hamstring and every other speed reduction. palas can just buble and stun u, and can't die by any melee, and shams can just go ghost wolf and run away ezly. disco are good for 2v2 and only if ur partner can save ur azz when hard time come... cause if u play 3v3 and ur partners miss a cc u are dead... in 3v3 everytime i get pwned first...

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ulon&n=Lunadia see my priest. and dont wanna any kiddo to start L2P and shit. i play prist before u even born....
    and sorry for my sucky English.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne
    Shamans are better raid healers
    This very much depends on the fight mechanics, CH is fantastic for a fight that has continuous raid damage - particularly if that damage is being applied unevenly. On the other hand if the entire raid is taking a spike simultaneously a disc priest can be the best raid healer - albeit with the limitation that you can't stack them. Fights like Hodir where you have periods of intense raid healing, interspersed with periods of calm favour holy priests.

Saying that, resto shaman have had their scaling problems fixed - whereas disc's ability to raid shield won't scale well. I won't be surprised if disc raid shielding falls by the wayside in 3.3

Re: (Disc) Priest becoming FotM?

I think with the xp changes priests have become a lot more enjoyable to level, especially being able to level through PvP. I know the prospect of leveling 1-80 on my priest almost stopped me from doing it.

Yesterday I joined a 25M VoA with 7 other priests.