Thread: Stuck at 2K dps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Stuck at 2K dps

Quote Originally Posted by Grimgore
    Mongoose will work for us now (they changed it a little before WotLK came out) and it's the second best enchant atm for feral dps. Berserking takes top honors though. IMO Mongoose is for tanking, but it's not horrible for dps either. Just not as good as Berserking.
    That is almost true. After 10k AP raidbuffed Mongoose wins hands down. You forgot it's not only agility, but haste as well. Which is also a good dps boost for ferals.
    I am a Leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

just reading other threads/info, yes i am at work, but hey arent you all?! :

as hc's tend to be easy now, what about opening with mangle, then sr, then just swipe away!?
    or does that consume to much/to fast energy?

then back to roatation on bosses.

Hey for feral dps a few tips would be drop the points in making FB stronger as yo dont have enough arp crit etc to put it in ur rotations enough for it to be worthwhile.

You HAVE to have king of the jungle maxxed it's decent dps increase then you wanna replace glyph of mangle with glyph of savage roar as rip,shred and SR glyphs are always top dps regardless of gear.

Would love to try and talk through the rotation but it's been said and is long/complicated HF .

I mangle+rake (for 2 or 3 CPs), then hit SR. At this point I'll be really low on energy, so I pop Tigers Fury now for the +60 energy and then start spamming swipe. Sometimes I'll use Berserk too so I can swipe twice as often for a short while. Just keep SR up and spam swipe until SR needs to be refreshed. That's what I do on trash packs and it works great. 5-12k dps depending on how big the trash pack is.

Quote Originally Posted by Meno
    just reading other threads/info, yes i am at work, but hey arent you all?! :

as hc's tend to be easy now, what about opening with mangle, then sr, then just swipe away!?
    or does that consume to much/to fast energy?

then back to roatation on bosses.

Basically this. Never go stealth. Open with a mangle, SR right away, pop TF and Swipe spam. Rinse and repeat per pack and you'll be doing great dps in heroics. It's extremely different than a rotation on a boss fight, but it works. If the heroics are going quick enough (which they should be) then you'll probably be saving Berserk for each boss fight, but if it's taking 10min between bosses, pop it on a large pull for mad swipage

15+ Year Old Account

You know whats sad. i can do 3k dps without a weapon on which drops me to about 4.1k AP lol

Stood in the Fire DaveTheHunter's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

I have a feeling it is likely your rotation that is the problem. You do have some sub-par enchants/gems, but nothing that I would attribute to only 2k dps. The rotation for feral dps is arguably the hardest rotation od any dps and can take a lot of practice to master. I hit 80 barely over a week ago and have hit a record of 5k dps on a boss fight in a heroic already.

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ntarg&n=Steaks

I logged out in what little pvp gear I have, but I'm in almost all heroic/badge/ToC gear, 2 piece t7.5, and the t8.5 chest. My other trinket is the banner from regular ToC.

I always open with a mangle, rake, shred then savage roar regardless of cp. It is usually 5 at that point but if I'm unlucky with crits it may be only 3 or 4. I then use TF and shred until 5 cp or until I need to refresh mangle or rake, then rip at 5 cp. At that point its "just" a matter of never letting a bleed or SR fall off.

I love all the people in this topic who open up horribly wrong lol.

15+ Year Old Account

B000bbbbbssss!!!11!1

Quote Originally Posted by Goatonlb
    Edit: Who thinks ArP is terrible for ferals again?
    Dumb people, bads, and people who want feral to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski
    You know whats sad. i can do 3k dps without a weapon on which drops me to about 4.1k AP lol
    The opposite is pretty fun too. Top dps in a pug, then have people inspect you to find you're naked.

Agreed about Facemauler. It'll teach you to be a bad druid in the long run. You have to learn how to adapt to different situations, not wait for the addon to tell you what to press next.
    Please don't listen to this guy, or anyone that agreed with him.
    Get feral by night (I linked it, facemauler is no longer supported and feralbynight was kept up to date better) and pay attention to what it tells you to do. Just saying "Do the rotation until you learn it" is retarded.

Play with addon help for a few weeks and you'll be able to do it on your own. Especially since you should easily pull 4k in your gear.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Hi folks
    Please help, first of all, yes i am a female
    got some pics? :P

Hi folks
    I'm web-slut and like to flaunt my gender. *Tee hee*

Quote Originally Posted by Firemansam

2. Drop improved mangle talent, worthless.

4. Get Facemauler http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...acemauler.aspx or i guess feral by night works too
    Do not under any circumstances do #2.

FaceMauler and FBN are bad too. You will not learn how to play, you will just learn how to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Please don't listen to this guy, or anyone that agreed with him.
    Get feral by night (I linked it, facemauler is no longer supported and feralbynight was kept up to date better) and pay attention to what it tells you to do. Just saying "Do the rotation until you learn it" is retarded.
    Yes, don't listen to me. I obviously don't know what I'm doing. I'd like to point something out that this person said earlier in the thread, I was going to let it slide before but meh.

"Crit is red, not purple. If you want to go kitty, switch to the agi/3% meta, use a nightmare tear for your 1 blue, agi/crit for 1 yellow, everything else agi. Likely you'll never use ArP (You can figure that out if you actually stick with it)"

Crit is yellow, not red. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40124
    Using agi/crit for a yellow to meet the meta requirements isn't needed either, as the nightmare tear will cover that. You know how for instance an orange gem counts as 1 yellow, 1 red? The Nightmare tear counts as 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 blue, so it alone will activate your Relentless ED meta, even if you didn't have any other gems slotted at all. Try it out and see.

Straight up, Facemauler will teach you how to suck. It'll make a horrible druid into a below average druid, but you'll never get good relying on that addon. Learn to watch your bleeds/buffs/debuffs and react accordingly depending on what is about to fall off. That's the only way you'll ever get good. Waiting for Facemauler (or Feralbynight for that matter) to tell you what to press next is fail, b/c you have to account for reaction time. The time it takes between reading what's on the screen and actually using it. When you learn the rotation yourself, you'll be able to anticipate what you'll be pressing next (or even for the next few attacks) and thus be able to use your ability the split second it comes off CD. I tried Facemauler for a brief time, and my dps went down compared to just doing it myself. Let me give you an example... let's say you're fighting an aerial boss, such as Razorscale or Sapphiron. You're at 4 CPs and the boss is about to lift off in 1 second. Facemauler/Feralbynight would tell you to shred b/c they're programmed to tell you to Rip at 5 CP. But in reality, you'd get more dps by going ahead and using the 4 CP Rip so that it'll be ticking while the boss is in the air and unreachable to you. An addon will never account for stuff like this... you have to learn what to use in what situations or you'll never meet your full potential. FM/FBN are for bads, and anyone using those addons will never be as good as someone who actually knows how to play feral correctly. If anyone disagrees with that, please explain to us how using that addon will help. I'd love to hear it, backed up by some actual factual information.

Good druids don't use those kind of addons for a very good reason.

Crit is yellow, not red. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40124
    Oh damn, meant agi. I'll go edit.
    The Nightmare tear counts as 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 blue, so it alone will activate your Relentless ED meta, even if you didn't have any other gems slotted at all. Try it out and see.
    Really? This I didn't know. Never bothered to try as I've been lucky with set bonuses though.

Straight up, Facemauler will teach you how to suck. It'll make a horrible druid into a below average druid, but you'll never get good relying on that addon. Learn to watch your bleeds/buffs/debuffs and react accordingly depending on what is about to fall off. That's the only way you'll ever get good. Waiting for Facemauler (or Feralbynight for that matter) to tell you what to press next is fail, b/c you have to account for reaction time. The time it takes between reading what's on the screen and actually using it. When you learn the rotation yourself, you'll be able to anticipate what you'll be pressing next (or even for the next few attacks) and thus be able to use your ability the split second it comes off CD. I tried Facemauler for a brief time, and my dps went down compared to just doing it myself.
    I never said use it forever. 2k isn't very good. To help learn the rotation (And not do a horrible 2k) I always recommend using an addon. You'll quickly learn to dps without it (Or just use it for buff/debuff tracking and turn off move prediction)
    I don't really see a problem leaving it on forever as long as you can think for yourself though...oh wait you do.

Let me give you an example... let's say you're fighting an aerial boss, such as Razorscale or Sapphiron. You're at 4 CPs and the boss is about to lift off in 1 second. Facemauler/Feralbynight would tell you to shred b/c they're programmed to tell you to Rip at 5 CP. But in reality, you'd get more dps by going ahead and using the 4 CP Rip so that it'll be ticking while the boss is in the air and unreachable to you.
    I usually just let them sit until they land/adds appear so I can have a fresh savage roar. Neither way necessarily right or wrong. But neither shown by an addon. (Feralbynight sometimes does this though actually...well theoretically. I've never tried it but it has a custom list for most bosses)

An addon will never account for stuff like this... you have to learn what to use in what situations or you'll never meet your full potential. FM/FBN are for bads, and anyone using those addons will never be as good as someone who actually knows how to play feral correctly. If anyone disagrees with that, please explain to us how using that addon will help. I'd love to hear it, backed up by some actual factual information.
    For 1, they track your buffs and debuffs and show you that info. You can turn off move prediction.
    They also help you learn your rotation as you are first starting out. Well, unless you're bad, in which case you'll never learn it...addon or none. So it doesn't hurt there.

Maybe I'm just going about this wrong. Please explain how it'll hurt someone doing less than half of the dps they should be.

Either they do more dps and learn their rotation, or they do more dps and rely on the addon. Am I missing some phantom third option where they do less dps and are instantly bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos
    Which is?
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos
    Which is?
    They already know how to play and don't need an addon to tell them which button to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski
    They already know how to play and don't need an addon to tell them which button to push.
    So is there a problem with a new cat using it?
    Or someone using it for buff tracking?

I use it. I have move prediction turned off, I just have it track my buffs and cooldowns. I just don't see why that makes me worse. I also learned my rotation using it, a rotation I likely wouldn't have had half the mastery I have now without learning with the addon.
    I'm lost as to where the line is drawn. It's the same thing as healbot hate in my mind.

But I guess that's a fair enough reason.

15+ Year Old Account

I have no problem with people using it if it can make them do more dps but some people on this forum do :P. its as you say "the same thing as healbot hate in my mind".

If you're using FBN simply as a buff/debuff/Dot timer, that's totally acceptable in my eyes. That would basically be the exact same thing as using Bad Kitty. It's the ability prediction part of it I have a problem with. The reasoning is that if you're doing 2k dps (such as in this case w/ the OP) and you use FBN and are suddenly doing 3k, you're going to be all 'wow, FBN is awesome, I'm happy with my dps' when in reality you have the potential to go much higher. It makes it easy and IMO makes people lazy when it comes to figuring the dps priority system out. In your case, you used it to learn the rotation and then got rid of it, which is fine. I suppose I can agree that it could be a useful tool in that case.

I'm just afraid that people who use it will come to rely on it, and not strive to hit the next plateau that you really can't achieve by just reading a set of directions off your screen. If you're learning the rotation by using the add-on, and REALLY paying attention to WHY you're supposed to do certain things at certain times instead of just blindly following what the addon says w/o putting any thought into it, more power to you. However, you could also just read the feral dps sticky on this site or the one on Elitist Jerks forums and that will tell you what to do as well, more importantly it'll help you understand WHY you're doing what you're doing.

I just personally think that this addon creates complacent players that don't really 'get' feral, they just imitate it by doing what the add on says. And thus they don't ever improve past the gains they got from using the addon. And you have dps potential way past what you'll achieve by following FBN.

As 'training wheels' while you learn, ok, go for it. Just don't come to rely on it b/c it's not even close to perfect. And the fun of feral (to me anyways) is forever chasing that 'perfect dps cycle' that is so difficult to achieve. Doing the exact right things at the exact right times. I've never had a fight (other than stationary fights like Patchwerk or Vezax) where I've done 100% everything I could do to maximize my dps, I usually screw up a couple times while avoiding environmental hazards or changing targets, and the goal of REALLY just nailing it is what I love so much about this class/spec. It seems to forever elude you but at the same time, it's within reach. It's my version of 'chasing the dragon.'

Let me put it this way. FBN might make you achieve 80% (hypothetical percentages here) of your potential. If you're only currently reaching 50% of your potential, I can certainly see the advantage. But don't stop there. You have another 20% that you just can't get from following the addon, you have to really *understand* feral to push your dps to it's maximum potential. You have to know what your next attack will be, and the following one, etc. Learn to anticipate what you'll be doing so you're ready for it. It becomes second nature eventually, at that point it becomes 'easy.' But it has a pretty massive learning curve and takes awhile to get there and to learn how to approach new fights and whatnot.