Solo'ing Molten Core: Gehennas

Hey,

So far i've had some fun in Molten Core solo'ing most bosses on the first try as either Retri (most of the time) or Prot.
    Gehennas however is pissing on my parade there. The -75% healing debuff and the adds sundering me up for about 20k is getting annoying.

I've seen some posts here with the advice to go prot on him but the result is even worse then when i go retri and no specific tactics were given.
    Either going on the adds or gehennas himself hasn't made much of a difference, as ret instant FoL's aren't keeping me up and as Prot i'm going down a bit faster then gehennas.

If anyone here would care to give some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Re: Solo'ing Molten Core: Gehennas

I can't give you paladin tips (I'm a DK) but I had the same problem.

The way I do it is to burst him down as fast as possible. First I kill the adds and then Gehennas.
    The only way to remove the curse is to use Restorative Potion. It will remove the curse you have on you and the next one if you are lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    "Nerf Rock. Paper is fine."
    - Scissors
    Originally Posted by Nakatoir (Blue Tracker)
    Off-spec healers such as Shadow, Elemental, Paladin and Laser Turkey

did this for the first time whis weekend, opened up with early wings and burned down the adds then went on gehennas. waited until i had around 1k hp poped a purification potion and used lay on hands directly. restorative potions should ofc be better but i didnt know they existed >.<. then i started dealing damage to him again, next time i went low i bubbled and healed myself to full. then i went on damaging him again. at the end i killed him with around 2k hp left after my ardent defender had proced
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

Thx for the advice as i didn't know about those potions (hardly used in raids and if you don't have an alchemist...)

Might still try it as retri first, it is my mainspec and my prot gear isn't all that impressive. I doubt i can take him down only using 2 or 3 pots especially if you have to burn the best CD's afterwards.

Also really intrested to see how Majordomo and finnaly ragnaros would go.

Remember that you can only use 1 potion while in combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    "Nerf Rock. Paper is fine."
    - Scissors
    Originally Posted by Nakatoir (Blue Tracker)
    Off-spec healers such as Shadow, Elemental, Paladin and Laser Turkey

i never thought about those potions :

I also tried soloing him and died when he was at 40% (after killing both adds and proc'ing ardent defender heal while on boss, i'd wait till i got low and bubble then heal to full... then i'd last till i died which wasn't enough. now i'll have this potion + LoH which should be enough since my bubble would be back up by then if i were to be low again)

Found a video on youtube about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqNMfbHHhIM
    The comments also mentioned the potions.

Got to admit i've come to like these solo'ing challenges (apart from the fact that i got my ass handed to me by gehennas and cried for help here).
    It's still a fun change from raiding ulduar or ToC and gives you a different experience of your class.

That, the epeen of killing a boss solo while wiping on it with 39 others 4 years ago and there's always to hope of getting to wield something orange but worthless in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Satorius
    and there's always to hope of getting to wield something orange but worthless in the end
    Hey! HEY! You take that back! There's nothing at all worthless about flexing your epeen in full t2 + TF at the IF bridge.

It gets you chicks. Serious. Not even JK.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest
    It gets you chicks. Serious. Not even JK.
    Yeah, 50 year old men pretending to be chicks.

Probably. :-\
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by chadiu
    Yeah, 50 year old men pretending to be chicks.

I doubt it, because i'm guessing that that type of men are usually too busy keeping their locked up women (either in the basement or a shack in the garden) in check.

Getting waaaaay off topic though, got the answers i needed for which i'm gratefull and probably only going to try it out in the weekend.

i am able to solo him as a prot paladin blowing all my cooldowns and using that curse removing potion ( not the one mentioned above )

edit: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=13462 there you go

• usually i get him to 80 when i first get that curse, which ignore until i get below 20, then i use DS and heal myself up
    • Afterwards i bring him to about 50 until i get the next curse wich again i ignore until i drop to 20. use potion heal up.
    • Bring him down to ca 20/25 until you get next curse and then you might concider using your cd's wisely ( LoH / DP )

most of the times i kill him with circa 12-40 % hp remaining

make sure you kill those annoying adds first and dont forget to deactivate divine plea when you heal yourself.

mainly use JoL with SoV only after healing switch for a few hits to JoW with SoV.

The main aspect of this boss is not to kill him but to prevent him killing you, while he slowly grinds himself to death on your Holy Shield.

All in one the whole Molten Core is easy soloable as protection Paladin ( geared in some ulduar / ToC25 stuff which is mainly quite crappy gear concidereing the fact that my main specc is Ret )

The most difficult fight in MC might be Ragnaros, who is not hard bit hardly killable solo ( due to the knockback which knocks you off 50% and that nice 6-8k ( dnt remember ) fireball he shoots at you while noone is in melee range ). i personally managed to bring him to 40% ( 3 sons phases ) when a unfortunate chain of even more unfortunate circumstances killed me ( meleehit in some height, knockback AoE and fireball ... thou i have 35-36k selfbuffed )

Ah and also: skilled sacred shield is your friend , have fun soloing epic content !