Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    HL spam Vs. FL spam

    I am a holy paladin currently pushing end game content, Just curious as to other people's thoughts and opinions on HL spam vs. FL. spam

    Whats worked for you in what situations and why. Whats more mana efficient for you and why stuff like that lemme know!

    I personally find that with our healing comp in raids 3 holy pallies 2 resto shamans and a resto druid and a disc priest, that with multiple Beacons on the MT/OT that going around and raid healing with FL is 1. more mana efficient 2. way more effective healing, and there is no problem keeping the tanks topped at all times and 3. much faster as im a bit low on the haste right now. and yes i have taken into consideration the HL glyph and its aoe heals

  2. #2

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Well I'm using both HL/FoL at boss encounters. Different for different encounters. I'm still using alot of HL on the tank, but more and more I'm raidhealing with FoL and BoL + sacred shield on the tank.






    (First post yay!)

  3. #3

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Did:

    the tank die?
    anyone die from Tympanic Tantrum/Frozen Blows/etc.?
    the party/raid wipe (due to bad healing)?
    you go oom?


    If you answered no to all of the above, you're doing it right. End of story.

  4. #4

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    and the answer is no!

    I do sometimes find that im going oom due to the way im specd, not in ret for the extra crit, and due to us only getting 30% back from crits instead of our old 60%

  5. #5

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    I recently aquired 4-set T9 and it really is awesome. Though I still use holy light with big hits, I feel myself using flash of light way more, because of the hot. What I normally do is keep the hot up on the tank and raid heal with FL/HL. Now that beacon heals for overhealing aswell it does not really matter if you cast the holy light on the tank or on an other target.

    Overall I think Flash of light spam is more mana effecient and good for f.x. GV-Hard. But when there's big hits I tend to use HL alot more, but with FL hot kept up.

    Btw for the haste, 670 haste equal 1sec FL = GCD. (that with JotP & raid buffs)

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans zcks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The ass end of nowhere AKA Kansas.
    Posts
    2,656

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Well both spells are good for their prospective uses, flash of light for small-moderate consistent damage & holy light for high fast spike damage. In the end spamming holy light is not viable unless you stack insane amounts of intellect, so its best off to stack allot of spell power & intellect after reaching the desired amount of haste that way you can switch back and forth as needed, or better yet get alternate gear pieces so you can use the gear best suited for the given situation.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

  7. #7

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    yea i cant wait for that 4 set im only a few badges away form getting it myself, i find that with my low haste, even after judging my initial HL cast seems to take days, im shooting for around 600 or so haste, i just find that with current gear and spec that flash is much more effective for me in my situation. But thanks for all the input ill put it to good use!

  8. #8

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Quote Originally Posted by zcks
    Well both spells are good for their prospective uses, flash of light for small-moderate consistent damage & holy light for high fast spike damage. In the end spamming holy light is not viable unless you stack insane amounts of intellect, so its best off to stack allot of spell power & intellect after reaching the desired amount of haste that way you can switch back and forth as needed, or better yet get alternate gear pieces so you can use the gear best suited for the given situation.
    well other than gemming the sp/int gems and what not for my meta i see no point in gemming Sp at all as int gives crit mana and sp all in one little pakage!

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans Snes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,985

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Is that literally the toughest question paladin healers need to ask themselves? Which button to mash?

  10. #10

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Quote Originally Posted by Snes
    Is that literally the toughest question paladin healers need to ask themselves? Which button to mash?
    No. Its "Why wont blizz give me a new god damned heal?"



  11. #11
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    124

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    I really enjoy when people ask these kind of questions...
    I find myself using all of the healing spells I have in different ways depending on the fight. (all but General Vezax ofc)
    I mean really there is no HL spamming or FL spamming. A person with half a brain would know when to use either of the spells.
    I use holy shock pretty much on CD. There is no spamming of 1 heal the entire fight (again does not apply to GV)
    Just stop asking stupid question and please use your spells correctly.

  12. #12

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluepants
    No. Its "Why wont blizz give me a new god damned heal?"
    you might be one of the few who ask that...

    let's see what heals we have:
    big heal: HL
    small heal: FoL
    instant heal: HS
    HoT: FoL with SS buff
    AOE heal: beacon and HL glyph
    shield: SS

    what more do we need? every healing class has these heals. if we ask for more, we would be imbalanced and would have to give up things.
    Because I want to say this every single day but don't want it to get a drag:
    1) The ingame store will only sell timesaver items. It won't affect balance.
    2) No, getting to 100 in half the time isn't pay2win. raids don't start until the second week, everyone has time to get there.
    4) getting charms faster is also not pay2win. getting those is easy, but not everyone has the time or want for dailies.

  13. #13

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    you might be one of the few who ask that...

    let's see what heals we have:
    big heal: HL
    small heal: FoL
    instant heal: HS
    HoT: FoL with SS buff
    AOE heal: beacon and HL glyph
    shield: SS

    what more do we need? every healing class has these heals. if we ask for more, we would be imbalanced and would have to give up things.
    Thats like 2 heals to cast and 2 buffs to manage.
    Ever played a holy priest ? You'll pretty much need to bind every key in your reach to a healing spell / cd / dispel /whatever.
    TL;DR : Paladins really need some more buttons to heal ~_~
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

  14. #14

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Quote Originally Posted by Jpkto
    I really enjoy when people ask these kind of questions...
    I find myself using all of the healing spells I have in different ways depending on the fight. (all but General Vezax ofc)
    I mean really there is no HL spamming or FL spamming. A person with half a brain would know when to use either of the spells.
    I use holy shock pretty much on CD. There is no spamming of 1 heal the entire fight (again does not apply to GV)
    Just stop asking stupid question and please use your spells correctly.
    Its not that i dont know how to heal i just was curious as to what other people have done in all the varying situations they have encountered, its not a wait so umm what heal to use it was a what have you done and whats worked for you....

    thats like saying dps classes are stupid for dicussing different dps rotations granted all our heals are of course situational, the question was more of a information gathering question not a im a retard question

  15. #15

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Spam is bad.
    versability is good.

    I think that is it. We have already few heals, make good use of them. I do Holy Light more than Flash, though. 50% HoL, 20% BoL, 20% flash (and hot), 10% shocks, normaly.

    One thing that I would like to use more is Divine Favor. I find myself saving it as a cooldown, thus never using it.

  16. #16

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    spam was more meant to imply primary use of one spell over the other, but thanks for the imput

  17. #17

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Quote Originally Posted by zcks
    Well both spells are good for their prospective uses, flash of light for small-moderate consistent damage & holy light for high fast spike damage. In the end spamming holy light is not viable unless you stack insane amounts of intellect, so its best off to stack allot of spell power & intellect after reaching the desired amount of haste that way you can switch back and forth as needed, or better yet get alternate gear pieces so you can use the gear best suited for the given situation.
    Why would you EVER gem full spell power as a paladin? Thats like a druid gemming full spirit. As a paladin you should always gem int unless the socket bonus is good. Paladins get an absurd amount of bonuses from pure int so its best to stick with it.

  18. #18

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    this has been went over many times here.

    if u want 25 man hard modes, u aren't gemming for sp.

    do end game hard mode pallies use only hl? no. but u need to be able to when time is right.

    holy shock is like 1-2% of my total healing in a raid, usually coming in last. when flash is 1 sec cast, and all on gcd, doens't seem like it's needed that often.

    face it, pallies are preemtive tank healers. period. we have overhealing, and we will always SPAM some kind of heal. Build to spam hl, and spam fl when fl is needed, hl when hl is needed. if u get the the fights i'm talking about, you will already know the answer as when to use which.


  19. #19

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    Quote Originally Posted by darthceltic

    face it, pallies are preemtive tank healers. period. we have overhealing, and we will always SPAM some kind of heal. Build to spam hl, and spam fl when fl is needed, hl when hl is needed. if u get the the fights i'm talking about, you will already know the answer as when to use which.

    there's more to it than just that. Any hardcore healer will tell you that healing is really a 6th sense when it comes to knowing what and when to heal. Yes paladins dont really have a set spell to buff up (now we do...kinda) or the ability to cast single and multi-target heals but we do have some basic, straight forward GC spells.


    Personally I have always loved FoL and with the right set up it is very effective. I usually do 45% FoL, 38% HL, 15% HS, and 2% HoTs. On paper (recount) I am the only holy pally in my guild who does this (there is another now but he varries from time to time) and the results show that my approach is most effective in healing done, HPS, least overhealing, and most mana gained.

    Before the nerf I can recall gaining over 60k mana w/o ever using DP and 80k with DP

  20. #20

    Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

    You should always use what you need to use while keeping light's grace up. Low continuous raid damage and lowish tank damage = FoL. High tank damage or high bursty raid damage = HL. Mix when needed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •