Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: How do I teach my Huntard BF not to be a noob?

First of all, he needs time.. Not everyone understands it in 123.. We have people in our guild that need several wipes to understand a fight, we have others that understand it while it's happening..

Second thing is, there are people - like you say - that enjoy numbers, if he enjoys playing on the AH, why not? I'd like to have bit of his skills of the AH..

If you take him to heroics, if you keep explaining - yes it will be hard, I have to do it aswell to the trials in my guild, you'll get annoyed and stuff.. - he'll get it and he'll improve. Don't go flame on him that he's doing all wrong, just suggest things and tell him to try it out several times, it won't work from the start no..

Quote Originally Posted by Nyctanessa
    I asked on my realm forum what sort of advice I should be giving to my bf, who plays a lvl 64 hunter (his first character), but there's a lot of things I just can't seem to get through his head.

I have a piece of paper next to the computer, with all the things I thought he should know on it, but some important things (like RTFQ and "learn what all your abilities do") don't seem to register. He knows that Agi, sta, AP, crit and hit are his important stats.. mostly (caught him in HFP with a lvl 49 bow of the wolf. The reward from Felspark Ravine was vendored). He'll cast Volley, then wonder why all the extra mobs are trying to kill HIM instead of his cat. He makes use of his freezing trap about half the time in those situations. Other times he'll end up getting to 30% health or so before he realizes, "oh shit." He won't use Feign Death unless I point out that he's hopelessly outmatched. And those are only SOME examples of his noobery.

On the other hand, he does have an exceptional ability to master the Auction House. He enjoys numbers and profits.

I've always been of the opinion that hunters are a fairly easy class to understand. I'm wondering if this isn't the case anymore. How do I explain huntering to him without sounding like a total elitist? Should I recommend a different class to him? (I'd rather not have him play a DK, despite its facerolling ability. He needs to LEARN!)
    well find a new bf, one who knows how to play
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

just let him play XD

gosh when i imagine what i've done at the beginnings...
    Black is what darkness looks like.

tell him to roll a real class.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooticus
    I'd refer him to a hunter guide. Even good players get better by looking at a guide. In fact, everyone here calling him an idiot has probably looked at a guide at least once.
    I think that's the point everyone is trying to make. If you are being told "you're doing it wrong" a countless number of times, perhaps it's time to take some advice from someone/somewhere else.

I don't understand why people are saying I'm being controlling or calling him an idiot. He's very intelligent. He's just a bit impatient and enjoys mindlessly slaying things (perhaps I should just get him an FPS game instead).

At the beginning of his time playing WoW, he ASKED me what it was he had to do to play the game effectively. That is what I did/am doing, at his request. He doesn't talk to anyone in game, so he doesn't have anyone to ask other than me.

We were all noobs once, and we all had questions. We asked questions and received advice at some point in our WoW careers. That is all that I am trying to do for him. I find the information, I give it to him, and then I leave him to figure it out. I do not, at any point, order him around.
    If he enjoys mindless slaying i think it's better if he switch to an fps like counter strike. He won't enjoy this kind of game.
    Btw if he really wants to play wow, use a guide for new players and tell him that shooting everything that moves is not a good way to play this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brince
    If he enjoys mindless slaying i think it's better if he switch to an fps like counter strike. He won't enjoy this kind of game.
    Btw if he really wants to play wow, use a guide for new players and tell him that shooting everything that moves is not a good way to play this game.
    One of the best players I know lvled to max lvl by JUST killing things, he never did a single quest except attunements and from lvl 1-6, so I have to disagree really ..

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by epilepzi
    Sounds like real Donald to me (ref. Dark Legacy Comics), I think you have recruited a far to slow player for this game. Unless he reroll a faceroll dps class such as RetDin, DK or EnhShaman I think he's screwed. Show him the huntology video, it made me a better hunter then I was before, using all the mechanics a hunter is able to use.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7318116486600#

tell him to stack items in the following order

Agi<stam*<ap<crit<int<mail<leather

*becouse it seems he's dying alot.

Make him read through ALL of his spells/abilities and go through the talent trees with him, What does he need, what can he skip, when and what is he going to use etcetc. And whatever you do, dont hold his back if someone els says something, been playing with to many brothers holding eachothers back when you trying to say something to them.

Chao, Epilepzi out
    thx for the link, I'll have him look at it. Specs, I'm not so sure about. My highest lvl hunter is 61, but I have a lot of friends who play them so I've just watched + learned.

Did he level with recruit a friend? If he was just carried all the way to his current level, how can you expect much out of him?
    No, he's not being carried. He's solo'd the entire thing so far, which is why I think he's kinda clueless about some things. Like I said, we've all had someone-- perhaps a friend who plays, or a guildmate, etc.-- who answered our questions and pointed out "hey you should be doing this, not that."
    You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Let him figure the game out for himself, from what you said about the ah i take it hes not a retard let him enjoy the game ^^

Hunters are a much harder class to learn than people give them credit for, they have a lot more abilities to use (6 bars full before tracking became a map option) than any other class, and should use most of them if they want to play their best.

He needs to love both his hunter and his pet, they can't exist without each other. If only he had played back when you had to juggle pets to learn new pet abilities to teach your main pet, then he might understand better the aspects of beast chasing.

If he wants to AoE, tell him he needs to learn how to get a pet that can help him with that. He seems like he needs to learn how to learn, so telling him to get a tenacity pet might not be as effective as simply pointing him toward petopia so he can figure it out on his own.

Either way, people remember most what they learned for themselves.

I asked on my realm forum what sort of advice I should be giving to my bf, who plays a lvl 64 hunter (his first character), but there's a lot of things I just can't seem to get through his head.

I have a piece of paper next to the computer, with all the things I thought he should know on it, but some important things (like RTFQ and "learn what all your abilities do") don't seem to register. He knows that Agi, sta, AP, crit and hit are his important stats.. mostly (caught him in HFP with a lvl 49 bow of the wolf. The reward from Felspark Ravine was vendored). He'll cast Volley, then wonder why all the extra mobs are trying to kill HIM instead of his cat. He makes use of his freezing trap about half the time in those situations. Other times he'll end up getting to 30% health or so before he realizes, "oh shit." He won't use Feign Death unless I point out that he's hopelessly outmatched. And those are only SOME examples of his noobery.

On the other hand, he does have an exceptional ability to master the Auction House. He enjoys numbers and profits.

I've always been of the opinion that hunters are a fairly easy class to understand. I'm wondering if this isn't the case anymore. How do I explain huntering to him without sounding like a total elitist? Should I recommend a different class to him? (I'd rather not have him play a DK, despite its facerolling ability. He needs to LEARN!)
    My first wow character was a warrior and then I made a hunter, and honestly, hunter has a very small learning curve. I dont think there is another class out there that would be easier for a beginner to learn, but by your description of him, he just sounds like an idiot (gaming-wise). As long as he loves playing wow, he will get it eventually. A few key addons he should use are RatingBuster (to show him which items are better than which), and some of the more basic ones, like recount, so he can see if he improves dps. Other than that, there are alot of things in the game he will have to figure out for himself, or by reading any good hunter guide (the one in the MMO-champion forums under hunter is a good one).

Edit : On second thought, just let him play a DK if you're that desperate to make him not so nooby.

Quote Originally Posted by Narveid
    One of the best players I know lvled to max lvl by JUST killing things, he never did a single quest except attunements and from lvl 1-6, so I have to disagree really ..
    I'm talking about doing quests or not, everyone needs to kill tons of mobs to reach lvl 80. I'm talking about his likings, if he wants to shoot everything with a gun without knowing what he's doing then an fps is better.
    Or your friend lvl up aggroing 10 mobs every pull?

Btw i agree with iceydevil: people remember most what they learned for themselves. After 20 deaths for volley aggro he will check why he's dying everytime.

sometimes good quality bj does miracles.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Allow him to shoot his bow into your mouth.

+1 for catching it all, perhaps even an achievement

Just let him mess around, if he wants to be better he will decide to learn at some point. He plays a hunter, you can level those naked really.
    Just let him play and have fun if that is what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by velourea
    you can help him by growing up and realising you don't have to change people to feel better about yourself
    Let him play the game in his tempo.. Hes gonna learn it sooner or later

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo
    sometimes good quality bj does miracles.
    This.

I know me being a noob and playing like one made me a better player. I didn't use all my skills, didn't use the right gear, talented all over the place. Once I learned how to survive playing bad, the game was EZ mode when I learned how to playt well.

People forget thier noobness. When I first raided, I was a complete noob. I Souldstoned myself, I used seed of curruption all the time, and had no idea how to use enslave demon when asked in Gruuls to do it.

6 toons later and many raids, I can now hit 80 and raid the same day. It just takes time, or it did for me at least.

One thing I learned is once you master one toon, you can master them all. The game is the same no matter what toon you roll. The only difference is tank/heal/DPS
    "Peace is a lie"

10+ Year Old Account

i just wanted to say i totally understand where you are coming from.

my husband has a level 46 warrior, has had for 2 years.
    he came from a halo obsession and plays wow like its a fps.
    he plays wow one-dimensionally. its extremely frustrating.

at level 34 i noticed he wasnt using any abilities but the first one you get. (dunno which one, dont play a warrior)
    hadnt seen a trainer, hadnt used any talent points.
    even after i pointed out these things and got him to a trainer, helped him with his tree, he still used that same one ability to fight.

the only things he did solo was kill mobs.
    never quested solo, ever.

he wants me to play with him but he just does whatever, whenever.

aggro? whats that? level 46 with one ability? i can take 5 mobs anyway.
    when/if i go play with him i always always always brought a healer of some kind, because always always always there was lots of death.

when my level 44 shammy was holding aggro against his 46 warrior and taking those five mobs while his corpse turned moldy...i just cant play with him anymore.

oh, and im grateful you are ignoring the 'boys' that are only capable of objectifying women.
    i feel good knowning they will die lonely and wonder why.
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'
    Translation: you are a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by nishay
    My first wow character was a warrior and then I made a hunter, and honestly, hunter has a very small learning curve. I dont think there is another class out there that would be easier for a beginner to learn, but by your description of him, he just sounds like an idiot (gaming-wise). As long as he loves playing wow, he will get it eventually.
    Ok...obviously your SECOND char will seem easier to learn as you've already gone through the basic learning curve ... I too started with a warrior and every class after that only got easier to learn (i'm on class #5 atm). So stop giving terrible advice to innocent forum posters because I do NOT think hunters are easier for a beginner to learn that other classes, after all it comes with a SECOND set of abilities to control (ur pet) which only increases its complexity. But, once you have the basics down, a hunter with pet can make a lot of things easier for an Medium to Advanced (read: NOT EXPERT and NOT BEGINNER) player.

Anyways @OP, don't push ur BF too fast to learn the skills whilst leveling as he will quickly lose interest in the game as he will miss out on the one of its most endearing aspects. Let him get to 80 at his own pace with whatever skill (or lackofit thereof) he acquires. THEN start helping him master the nuances of WoW chars. As a veteran player it is easy to look at classes and abilities and say "Oh shit, why doesn't he/she do that when in this situation, its soooooo obvious" but 100% of WoW players made the same or similar mistakes whilst leveling their 1st toons to 80. Its part of the game and part of the fun. Instead, focus your energy/advice on telling him to avoid or outright /ignore the elitist assholes who tell him he is a noob/idiot. At least, until the current max lvl (lvl80 atm) let him focus on FUN, then on SKILL. Trust me, SKILL is relatively easy to pickup after he reads (guides/forum posts) and tries (heroics, raids, soloing elites) so don't worry about it overmuch till the level cap.

Cheers.