Thread: Protret PVP

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Protret PVP

I've been messing around in protret with my paladin the past few days. Before I go on, my gear is HOBBILE, so before you post "qq l2 rating" this is with mix hateful pvp and some nax pve gear, just to see how it would go.

Its actually ALOT of fun coupled with amazing burst if you glyph Avengers shield and use a slow 1h dps weapon. I've been 2v2ing with a Prot warrior and in the 1.2k rating field we went 21-8 (Granted like I said, its a noob bracket but the gear just wasnt there for us.) So with better gear I plan on pressing this for a viable pvp option for paladin who are bored of ret.

Ps. The changes to Touched by the Light will also be a nice buff to this spec come 3.2.2 damage wise.

Re: Protret PVP

Unless you play naked 1200 rating doesen't really say anything on whether a specc is viable or not. i'm guessing it won't work in the higher ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Ethermal
    Unless you play naked 1200 rating doesen't really say anything on whether a specc is viable or not. i'm guessing it won't work in the higher ratings
    True, that it doesnt say much, but the ease of wins (except vs locks and disc priests) was exceptional. And my gear was horrible. Most times the opponents greatly outgeared us. It does require some timing. Chaining Avengers shield and arcante torent with my partners stuns.interrupts. (Avengers shield was critting from 4-8k btw with bad gear depending on the resil of the target)

Still, neither of you really excell in anything exept for surviving, most players at higher ratings will be able to kill one of you before you kill either of them, you just lack the damage to kill anything.

Prot ret > ret atm. in arena 2v2 or 3on3, 5on5 its good too.

I've got 2.2k blockvalue , 25% crit and ~4k ap unbufft.

im hitten with avanger shield for 8k and more in bgs and 5-6k on resilience critticaly.
    ret will still doing more burst but with a good mate ....

ur not falling down like a ret with 700 resi and u have a lot more stuns silence and 2 extra attacks on 6 sec cd which both crits for 5k and higher...

i cant see any reason atm. why ret should be better atm in pvp ...in bgs im killing often 5-7 ppls a row solo !

Sounds horrible. Prot is going to have shitty mitigation stats unless you in PvE gear. Your also probibly going to never kill any healer teams over 1500. If that is the case then there is realy no point in winning unless you get over 1500 becuase its the same amount of points.

I also dont get what your trying to say/ask. You post is just a statement I tried this. It doesnt realy ask for any sort of response. But if your asking will this work enough to get a few good pieces, I would say no.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

And I thought all we had to worry about was Healers who couldn't stay in their tree...
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPower
    Sounds horrible. Prot is going to have shitty mitigation stats unless you in PvE gear. Your also probibly going to never kill any healer teams over 1500. If that is the case then there is realy no point in winning unless you get over 1500 becuase its the same amount of points.

I also dont get what your trying to say/ask. You post is just a statement I tried this. It doesnt realy ask for any sort of response. But if your asking will this work enough to get a few good pieces, I would say no.
    How about you learn a little more about the game you play before you start acting like you know what youre talking about.

View: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ol&n=Superprot
    http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg198/asbyo/Punkinz.jpg

Deleted

Now I don't want to tell anyone how to play the game and how they get their fun out of it, but...
    People like you are the reason why Blizzard considered the Hammer of the Righteous nerf (from holy to physical damage).
    Prot/Ret paladins aren't supposed to deal more damaged, sustained or burst, than the retribution paladins, just like
    prot/holy paladins aren't supposed to heal more than pure holies and have the survivability of a protection paladin.
    If there's another prot/x hybrid trend, I fear more fixes incoming which could eventually hurt the real protection paladins.
    Blizzard has stated that they don't want these weird hybrids to become better at something than the original intended specc,
    hence the prot/holy fixes regarding Ardent Defender and Touched by the Light.

Healers with 35k+ HP, 60% physical mitigation, a build-in Guardian Spirit through Ardent Defender and almost infinite mana were (are) bad enough.
    Now, damagedealers with more burst than retribution and said survivability...
    Not good.

While it's not your fault that this is even possible, "abusing" this... grey area may end in nerfs for the protection tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaith
    Now I don't want to tell anyone how to play the game and how they get their fun out of it, but...
    People like you are the reason why Blizzard considered the Hammer of the Righteous nerf (from holy to physical damage).
    Prot/Ret paladins aren't supposed to deal more damaged, sustained or burst, than the retribution paladins, just like
    prot/holy paladins aren't supposed to heal more than pure holies and have the survivability of a protection paladin.
    If there's another prot/x hybrid trend, I fear more fixes incoming which could eventually hurt the real protection paladins.
    Blizzard has stated that they don't want these weird hybrids to become better at something than the original intended specc,

Healers with 35k+ HP, 60% physical mitigation, a build-in Guardian Spirit through Ardent Defender and almost infinite mana were (are) bad enough.
    Now, damagedealers with more burst than retribution and said survivability...
    Not good.

While it's not your fault that this is even possible, "abusing" this... grey area may end in nerfs for the protection tree.
    Couldn't agree with you more that I'll hate the Nerfs we'll get. But no one cares. It's not their tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

I play "Prot DPS" in arena, and I find it viable. In 2s it works great with a Frost Mage, and in 3's I play cleave with a Druid and Warrior.

I actually enjoy playing it, more than my usual retlol spec.

Thanks in advance for getting my spec nerfed. >

Paladin specials are based on weapon top white damage and normalized so weapon speed doesn't really matter. Would have been nice to see you actually link the spec, but all I can really think of is that protection does better damage without having retribution thrown in. You most definitely should not be skipping hammer of the righteous. Also, I would probably go holyprot for added survivability. Ret doesn't really have decent talents for a 1h/shield build. Sure, if you go down far enough in it then there are some, but you nerf survivability for minimal damage increase.

Edit! Actually, the bottom tier ret talents are also pretty kick ass at improving damage, so its completely doable. Before t8 came out and I quit playing my paladin altogether I used to tank as prot/ret.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    And I thought all we had to worry about was Healers who couldn't stay in their tree...
    Ha nice one. +2, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethermal
    Still, neither of you really excell in anything exept for surviving, most players at higher ratings will be able to kill one of you before you kill either of them, you just lack the damage to kill anything.
    You must be kidding if you think the following:

1) Protection lacks burst and can't do damage.
    2) Its easy to burst through a protection paladin.

Both are insanely wrong. The protection paladin can put out some insane burst when using ret talents and glyphed correctly. They also have amazing survivability.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

i dunno about ur spec... but i think after the prot changes.. retri pallies will just go PROT spec on retri gear and a slow one hand and shield and output very nice amounts of DMG for that spec and still have a hell of a lot of heals ,enough to keep them selves up at least :P dunno.didnt check,just some thoughts going through my head :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xaith
    Blizzard REALLY needs to give up on that because its been proven time and time again that hybrid specs rock it out in PvP in not just the paladin class but almost every other class. Remember SL/SL locks? How about dream state druids? How about cat/trees? How about...well pretty much every dk build for pvp? How about disc/holy priests? How about ... the list goes on. Blizzard needs to just give it up and realize that no amount of nerfs stops good pvper from finding the best spec for the situation and that spec often is hybrid. They balance PvE around pure specs like it should be. They don't need to try to do it in PvP. They need to just give up and realize they have fallen on their faces every time they tried to balance PvP in this game for 5 years because they fail miserably at it and be done with it.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZVGz...IufdVf0hbc:Rj0

This is my current build in pvp. I use a slow 1h dps weapon for hard hitting Hammer of the Righteous. And, as for all the "it's your fault blizz nerfs my spec qq". Honestly, I think it should be more along the lines of "When will Blizzard ever learn how to make the DPS spec viable for pvp outside of just a burst game." If prot overcomes the healing specs and prot specs maybe they should find out WHY, and make the changed to the appropriate specs... Just my 2 cents.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/17207/WoW...709_162342.jpg

Top KBs and Top Dmg all as prot. they have the burst and survivability to Outlast any class except healers. it's VERY hard to kill healers who are resil geared as you depend on the crit burst to kill them. don't even think about HoT type healers like druids/shammys though.... you'll never kill one who has 900+ resil. no matter what.

i've personally never tried arenas and wouldnt have the resil gear to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyWaken
    And, as for all the "it's your fault blizz nerfs my spec qq". Honestly, I think it should be more along the lines of "When will Blizzard ever learn how to make the DPS spec viable for pvp outside of just a burst game." If prot overcomes the healing specs and prot specs maybe they should find out WHY, and make the changed to the appropriate specs... Just my 2 cents.
    Easy for you to say, when (not if) the nerfs come, you'll slink back to your Retribution tree and we'll be left to deal with the aftermath you brought upon us. Saying "My spec isn't as good as I'd like so I'll do something unintended that could result in a nerf to your spec and you should be ok with it" is a pretty piss-poor justification.