Thread: Holy ---> Disc

15+ Year Old Account

Holy ---> Disc

Hi I've been raid healing Disc for quite a while and now I would like try something now so I'm planning on going Disc heals. From all the Disc post I've seen here I got the jist of the gear to look for but I havnt found that much in regards to gemming. I know Spirit is pretty much at the bottom of the stat list for Disc so most of my gems will need to be replaced but with what?

Here is my armory and the Spec I'm planning on using
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...+Storms&n=Fryr
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...iYY1,pOa,10433

What changes should I start making?

Re: Holy ---> Disc

Sigh, you know there are like 5 posts on this page alone... I would tell you Int mostly and some spellpower. Check out some of the other threads. There are posts that cover Gemming and then gearing right so you dont have to gem things like haste becuase your gear has it and so on and so forth.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=106887.0
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=106677.75
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=107792.0
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Quote Originally Posted by Fryr
    What changes should I start making?
    change gems to sp / sp+crit / crit

Quote Originally Posted by DobroeZlo
    change gems to sp / sp+crit / crit
    Never ... GEM CRIT NEVER.
    Gem Spellpower or Spellpower int.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rky
    This needs to be emphasized. SP is better for throughput because it affects everything you cast, Crit only increases Divine Aegis procs, which is nice for spells like PoM, Penance, and Flash Heal, but awful for PWS, and PWS is a significant portion of your throughput. So gem favoring SP if you need throughput, and favor Int if you need regen; only match a blue if it's a nice socket bonus, and then it's generally SP/Spirit, Int/Spirit, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rky
    Only true if you're at or above 30% crit and under about 27k mana raid buffed and you have to do mixed tank/raid heals. Given the OPs gear that probably is the case, but saying never gem crit ever is silly.

You have two options depending on which Meta you take (Ember Skyflare, or Insightful Earthsiege). For Ember Skyflare you're going to gem all spellpower, while going with SP/Int, or SP/Crit in yellows if and only if the socket bonus is 5 spellpower or more. The options are the same for Insightful Earthsiege, but you need to make sure you also use one blue type gem. That can be either a single green gem, or an orange and a purple gem. It depends on socket bonuses, again looking only for 5 SP or more as a bonus.

The above advise is very good if you're even partially raid healing though. Crit does nothing for PW:S which will be your primary cast as a raid healer. If you're going to be mostly a tank healer and you're under 30% crit and don't have mana problems, then crit is fine as PW:S is the only spell you'll cast not benefiting from crit and it won't be used nearly as often (once every 15 seconds in most cases).

Reaching 30% crit isnt hard with all the raid crit buffs you receive.
    Gemming for crit is bad.
    SP for throughput.
    Int for regen.
    Haste never hurts as well.

Red= Runed Cardinal Ruby, Reckless Ametrine, Luminous Ametrine
    Yellow= Luminous Ametrine, Reckless, Ametrine. (If the socket bonus is terrible and dont need either stats, gem for spellpower again)
    Blue= (Spellpower/Mp5 gem to complete your meta)
    With all the other blue sockets, unless they're not above 5+ Spellpower socket bonus, ignore it.
    Go straight SP in the socket.
    You'll get more benefit just ignoring the socket bonus,

Hope this helps.

Except 30% is a raid buffed is a goal for Holy. 35-40% is more likely for Disc. I sit at 29% unbuffed and yep, I have two crit gems. My PW:S is already free when raid buffed and when I'm Disc I'm tank healing, not raid healing. There's really no point of having more Int after a certain point, you can stay GCD locked and not go OOM over a long fight. I will admit though, if I wasn't hardcapped on haste I would probably gem Haste instead of Crit.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    I will admit though, if I wasn't hardcapped on haste I would probably gem Haste instead of Crit.
    Not all fights are sunshine and lollipops and actually give you the opportunity to shield raid members whilst tank healing so i still keep a few haste gems in my gear just in case to keep above cap.

In tier 8 gear i stacked full sp gems and cleared the uld 10 hardmodes and 25 up to yogg to give you an idea of the content i was gearing for. Now in 2pc t9 and any new items i aquire are being given 12sp/10int gems, this helps with the overall mana return from all the various sources available to a disc priest. This setup has taken me to last boss of 10 man trial heroic and playing in 25 man heroic version atm.
    Born under the Discipline tree.

Only true if you're at or above 30% crit and under about 27k mana raid buffed and you have to do mixed tank/raid heals. Given the OPs gear that probably is the case, but saying never gem crit ever is silly.
    Not really it's true, you never gem crit. If your gear is so poor that you don't have enough then you need more Int anyway.

You have two options depending on which Meta you take (Ember Skyflare, or Insightful Earthsiege).
    Ember skyflare is only worth it if you've already swapped every other piece of regen gear you own for throughput and you've still got too much mana. Otherwise IED is just better budgeted.

The options are the same for Insightful Earthsiege, but you need to make sure you also use one blue type gem. That can be either a single green gem, or an orange and a purple gem.
    Orange isn't a blue gem :-*

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    Not really it's true, you never gem crit. If your gear is so poor that you don't have enough then you need more Int anyway.
    Not really true, especially when in high ilevel gear that has no crit on it.

Ember skyflare is only worth it if you've already swapped every other piece of regen gear you own for throughput and you've still got too much mana. Otherwise IED is just better budgeted.
    ...and?

Orange isn't a blue gem :-*
    Might want to actually read the sentence you quote. All the words too, not just skimming over words like 'single' and.... 'and.' :

Might want to actually read the sentence you quote. All the words too, not just skimming over words like 'single' and.... 'and.' :
    Ahh apologies, you just phrased things so badly I couldn't read you :-*

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    Ahh apologies, you just phrased things so badly I couldn't read you :-*
    Poorly. You might want to hold off on the insults. I think the final word that's holding you up is 'also.' It means in addition to. If you hadn't bisected my paragraph to remove context you'd realize that 'also' referred to a yellow gem as a prerequisite. I know all this semantic stuff can be hard to understand, but believe it or not it's actually a rather important topic concerning communications. Too condescending? Maybe a little?

I dont understand, you have been raid healing as disc. And now you want to switch to disc healing??? Idk....