Question about Healing Weapons

Hello guys, I have a quick question about which healing weapon to use.

I currently am using Guiding star with Handbook of Obscure Remedies.

I just was able to get Illumination. Is this an upgrade for healing?

Re: Question about Healing Weapons

It's a close one that. The socket bonus is pretty useless, so you'd put 2x 23 SP gems in it, and +81 SP ench instead of +63, which gives these differences:

-7 Stam
    +8 Int
    -38 Spr
    +34 Haste
    +113 Crit
    -19 MP5
    +5 SP

If you have 4T9, it probably is an upgrade as crit is worthwhile having then. Before 4T9, I'd say it's probably not. Personally I'd probably not bother enchanting & gemming the new staff and just stick with what you've got. If you pick up a new off hand then the staff definitely won't be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Keep in mind that the 38 spirit is worth 7 SP with BoK.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

So is the loss in mana regen from spirit and mp5 worth the extra haste and crit?

Or will this be better used as a boomkin weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Xafucoke
    So is the loss in mana regen from spirit and mp5 worth the extra haste and crit?
    As for whether the spirit & MP5 loss is worth it, that depends on your mana regen. Do you find that most fights you don't even get close to going OOM? If so then the extra mana regen is useless and it's a worthwhile upgrade. If not then perhaps it's worth sticking with what you've got.

It's too hard for us to decide mana regen stuff for you - it depends a great deal on your healing style, your raid's gear / ability to avoid damage, your personal gear / spec, etc. etc.

Or will this be better used as a boomkin weapon?
    For a boomkin it's certainly a better choice - no question there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

In the end this simply comes down to mana regeneration versus healing throughput. If you have enough mana with the staff, then it's the better choice. If not, then the offhand combo is preferable. How big the difference is depends on how much of your healing is crit-capable, and using mainly HoTs without 4T9 it probably isn't worth enchanting and gemming the staff for the tiny difference it would make. Of course, if you're serious about your balance gear then you're going to want to do that anyway.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.