Poll: Do you think having Hunter's resource changed to focus will be a better resource than mana?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Focus for Hunters Poll

I'm actually very curious to see how this new resource will affect us. I have played a rogue and didn't especially like it because of the lack of energy gain coming back to me. And I even heard as Hunter's, our focus regeneration will be even SLOWER than rogue's energy regeneration! I would like ALL Hunters using these forums to please give their opinion in this poll. If you have any idea why you chose the option you did, feel free to say why. I'm getting ready to reroll already

And yeah... the choice for "yes" was sort of exaggerating... sorry if you don't like it.

Re: Focus for Hunters Poll

They finally made it as it was in beta . I'm really excited about this change and can't wait.

The focus regeneration is slower than the energy regeneration and while energy based attacks require less energy than focus based attacks require focus I am kinda worried. Though the usage of Steady Shot increasing our focus regeneration above energy regeneration might help and counter this ability. All in all if you'll be eable to cast that Steady Shot this will be a big improvement. Well that's how I see it. Now, where can I even cast a Steady Shot?
    Q.: What happens when a Paladin uses Consecration while at the same time a Death Knight puts up Desecration?

A.: No man's land.

I was watching the PPV Stream and, im almost(not quite) ashamed to admit it, When he went from warlocks to hunters and he said:

Mana:
    GONE!

I jumped out of my seat(managed to hold back yelling) doing \o/.

And to be honest, i never thought id ever do that over a game, rofl
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Deleted

This is great. Most of the problems inheritant to hunters mechanics can be solved via this change. And it will be like playing a new class, so no rerollig for me, as I did for previous expansions.

None of the poll options apply to me, so I'll give my piece.

Mana was not a good mechanic. I don't think anyone denies this. But this new alternative, unless it's very, very well done, is going to nerf our already precariously low damage output in PVE (and I physically could not care less about PVP balance). And given Blizzard's history with Hunters (and the fact that I played Beta when we had Focus and it was ABYSMAL), I do NOT trust them to do it very, very well.

Long story short: I'm scared shitless.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Rilgon

Mana was not a good mechanic. I don't think anyone denies this. But this new alternative, unless it's very, very well done, is going to nerf our already precariously low damage output in PVE (and I physically could not care less about PVP balance). And given Blizzard's history with Hunters (and the fact that I played Beta when we had Focus and it was ABYSMAL), I do NOT trust them to do it very, very well.

This.

Sounds exciting and all, but i prey to the gods they do it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Infs
    Sounds exciting and all, but i prey to the gods they do it well.
    Agreed. It could be phenomenal and totally change the way we play PLUS bring our DPS up to where it should be.

Or it could leave us with the same rotations and the same concepts, but resource-capped instead of GCD-capped which will just serve to lower our DPS with no recourse but to reroll.

Blizzard doesn't have a good track record in these kind of things with the Hunter class, hence my fear.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rilgon

i agree with rilgon
    its either going to be really good, or really bad. from just some early views, i dont think we will be spamming a rotation like we do now...which means that in order to keep our dmg competitive, abilities may get a decent boost.

who knows really...we will just have to wait to see more on it before we can completely judge it. atm, blizzard thinks this will be the right direction to go, then we will have to go that direction and make due with the change like we always have.

bad hunters will get worse, great hunters will find their ways to be better. thats how we always have worked.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Imnotgayimjusthunter
    I'm actually very curious to see how this new resource will affect us. I have played a rogue and didn't especially like it because of the lack of energy gain coming back to me. And I even heard as Hunter's, our focus regeneration will be even SLOWER than rogue's energy regeneration! I would like ALL Hunters using these forums to please give their opinion in this poll. If you have any idea why you chose the option you did, feel free to say why. I'm getting ready to reroll already
    not only our so called "focus" regenerates slower but our shots cost ins SICK
    60 energy out of 100 for ONE lousy shot? wtf??

Is the masochist designer from Vanilla back?

FUCKING FINALLY!

Edit: # Focus regenerates contunously, Steady shot improves the rate of getting focus bag.
    # Rogue energy comes back at a 10 / sec rate, Hunter focus comes back at 6/sec (12/sec with steady shot)

Add some spec which will prolly be something like rogues extra energy or fast regen of focus and I dont really think it will be a problem. How can you be so stupid and QQ about something you havent even tried out ? Go reroll if you want, I bet you will regret it.
    ROGUES OP LOL
    Have you ever played a rogue? The only reason we are considered OP is because well... you suck.
    No other way to put it.
    No other class in the game has its "OH SHIT" button completely broken.
    No other class in the game WILL be killed in a single stun if they dont have a trinket.
    No other class in the game dies anywhere near as fast as a rogue with its cooldowns gone.
    No other class in the game requires more skill than a rogue.
    No other class in the game is as fun as a rogue, Therefore the majority of rogues who are good, have played a really long time and become good players, nothing will change that.

15+ Year Old Account

i'm not too worried about the dps vs. focus issue. blizzard can do a few things to make sure it doesn't happen. first we have to consider our current rotations are DEAD. basically what we used to do will not work anymore. second they will most likely increase the damage for several of our shots to include autoshot and steady shot. the third concept they could go with is similar to how other classes have one BIG spell or skill that does alot of dmg, to counter the low dmg from the other shots, one where long fights benefit more over short ones. and finally with the new stat allocation we will have more attack power than ever before. every point of intel can now be used for something useful, agi or stam.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuismar
    second they will most likely increase the damage for several of our shots to include autoshot and steady shot.
    After an entire expansion of nerfing it repeatedly because they supposedly "don't like it"?

Yeah, and I'm the bloody Queen of England.

You have no idea what else they're changing with hunters. They obviously won't be leaving everything else the same, just making shots cost all of your focus.

You will be balanced, or they'll fix it rather quickly. There's a good chance you'll be extremely OP for a patch.

I dunno. If I was a hunter, I'd be pumped to not have intellect clogging up every piece of gear I own.

I guess they want to make hunter less "spammy", not automaticaly using any shot that is off cooldown, but more about rotation and focus usage on desired skills.
    And that will also solve "do I want to use steady in my rotation" question - low damage (compared to cooldown shots) shot, with low to zero focus cost, to use when you dont have focus for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik
    You have no idea what else they're changing with hunters.
    No, but I do know that they have an absolutely horrible track record with major changes like this.

Jaded? Abso-fucking-lutely.

15+ Year Old Account

I love it...the idea, anyways. The only concern I have is them not updating our existing gear to reflect this (see: Striker's Garb set when we went from 1 AGI:2 RAP to 1 AGI:1 RAP), or at the very least, having our level up gear being absolute garbage (note: at least 50% of quest reward mail is caster shaman gear atm). I'd like to see what we have for cooldowns, since I don't want to see it go to an "Explo ->Steady spam -> Explo" rotation the way Mut rogues spam 1 attack and maintain 1 DoT and 1 buff. I did find mana a bit odd, since we're the only mana class that has zero spells (well...traps and Mend Pet...but hardly the focus of the class), and all of our magic damage is actually physical-damage-as-magic-damage (based on melee hit chance, melee crit modifiers, cannot be silenced, etc), unlike ret paladins and enh shamans: the other hybrid damage-type specs (as in, ~50/50 physical/magical damage).

I think our gear is going to be a bit bland, but at least it won't be as counter intuitive as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik
    You will be balanced, or they'll fix it rather quickly. There's a good chance you'll be extremely OP for a patch.
    QFT my friend. I created an account just to quote you because I was too lazy to make a post myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimo
    How can you be so stupid and QQ about something you havent even tried out ?
    More like how can you be naive enough to think blizzard wont royally F*% this up and it'll take us til 4.2 to get some sort of decent dps back?

I want to say "I like the idea of focus, but don't def think its the best idea blizz has ever had" haha. Now, to repeat myself from another hunter thread:

"Personally, I am looking forward to the changes. I do fear it may change how we pvp a lot, but so what! It could be more fun! Its something new, embrace it instead of crying about it.

I think alot of you need to consider the following. It is very unlikely that hunters attacks/spells will remain identicle, as well as the talents. If we cant keep up the same rotations as now, then they will buff the shots or talents so that we still do competative damage. Its early days, all these posts complaining are annoying. Fair enough if you liked it how it was, thats a valid complaint I guess. But those who are complaining about it being a nerf or not understanding how it could possibly work, just wait and see.

Somethings I foresee, is haste being very valuable. I also believe we will get some talents to go with our new focus system. Those currently calculating a base 6/12 focus per second regen and then complaining that we wont be able to do damage - please take this point into consideration. There may very likely be talents that regen focus everytime you crit (or at least give a % chance to regen energy when you use certain shot/crit). There may also be some new abilities such as clear casting state that druids have - next move taking no energy/focus at all. If you consider these possibilities, and perhaps the clearstate thing being an ability we choose to use with a decent cooldown on it, then it would seem to me that we still have potential burst damage. And wahay, maybe they'd make Readiness reset our focus to full."