Keybinding as a Warlock

Hey, the last few weeks i've been having somewhat of a problem regarding how to keybind my abilities as a warlock. I do PvP on a heavy basis, and i'm one of those people who use my entire toolbox. If i find a use for Eye of Kilrogg (Just an example, i know it's useless) in a PvP situation... it gets keybinded. And i've found a use for quite an amount of spells in my spellbook. So i've keybinded, well... alot of it. This is the issue:

I've run out of keys to bind stuff on. Every button i can reach is bound, and i'm now picking up engineering aswell, since i've just finished leveling my alt with mining. This means i need 3 additional keybindings: Rocket Boots, Glove Rocketlaunchers, and friggin' grenades on my belt.

This is my playstyle:
    WASD for movement. I use the Shift modifier excessively for combat spells, and CTRL for most of my not so often spells. Alt is a modifier that shows my buff/pet/consumables bars so i don't use it as an active modifier, nor will i, since it limits the freedom of my index and pinky too much. I have keybound the scroll for pet control, and my Mouse3 button for various defensive abilities. My keys range from | (console) to 5, T, G, B as the edges. And everything in between of those are keybinded, with the exception of < and Z which are unreachable effectively without losing control of my movement.

Any tips?

Deleted

Re: Keybinding as a Warlock

1. Get Belkin Nostromo N52te (google it)

2. Get a mouse with atleast 2 keys on the side of the mouse (for shift and alt-modifier macros)

3. ???

4. Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by That link you posted
    You are not allowed to access this file or resource for one or more of the following reasons:

* You are attempting to read a restricted file or directory.
    * You are performing unauthorized scans of our server.
    * You are using a browser or web archiving agent (WebZip, etc.) that we don't allow.
    * You or your bot misbehaved and went where it shouldn't have, causing your access to be revoked for 48 hours.
    * You are a known credit card criminal.
    * We have mistakenly blocked you.
    I'm not a credit card criminal QQ

Edit: Oh, my god. Just looked up that... Thing :S Some bastard child of a mouse and a keyboard... Well... I assume it's a mouse? It looks like you use it with your left hand which is a bit weird... Is it just a keyboard replacement then?

Deleted

Weird! The link works for me. Ill edit it later.

Its not a replacement. Just something i have to the left of my keyboard.
    Its awesome and lets me have 40+ keybinds!

Heh, not really interested in spending money on getting 3 extra keys available ;P

Deleted

Then you've missed the point

15+ Year Old Account

Here is how you and I should play (I don't, but I should)

WASD for movement.
    QERFVC with NONE, SHIFT and CTRL modifiersfor your top 12 buttons you always press. For me, it would be (based on spec, i threw both in)
    Searing Pain / Shadow Bolt / Incinerate
    Life Tap / LifeTap Rank 1 - I PVE more than PVP / Shadowflame
    Death Coil / Howl of Terror / Fear
    Corruption / UA or Immolate / Exhaustion
    Elements / Agony / Tongues
    Chaos Bolt or Drain Soul / Conflag or Drain Life / Doom

My finger is just long enough to hit 5 without overreaching on my Logitech G11, so I would keybind 12345 with NONE and SHIFT. This is where my pet abilities go (including all macros and resummoning). CTRL turns my hands too much to get back to movement quickly. You try doing CTRL 5, SHIFT V, while strafing right. It doesn't feel right.

My G11 comes with 18 extra buttons, which are mapped to ALT CTRL / . , ' ; l ] [ p and so forth, so there is no overlap. I move my social stuff over there (Mounts, Character Pane, Quest Log, Talents).

Lastly, I have my "Once in a while" buttons, which are mapped to the addon Opie. Demon Summoning (The non-emergency kind), stones, quest items, Killrog/Detect Invis/Unending Breath, etc.

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

You mean you don´t have Clique set up for your lock, gherkin?

Shift left unending breath, shift wheel detect invis, shift right apply soulstone.

That frees up some buttons.
    Reddfoxx the Warrior | @ReddfoxxMX | SWTOR Sentinel Reddfoxx, Marauder Reddfox @ The Harbinger Server

Why not try ESDF instead of WASD ?
    My Blog: http://www.wow-professions.info - 1 450 Profession Guides. Mankrik's Wife approves of this.

15+ Year Old Account

Not a bad idea if it is comfortable for you. For me I just can´t get used to it and really hard to reach the shift modifier.

MOST IMPORTANT KEY BINDS
    First step is most important.

Open keybinds under escape menu
    Place a check in Character Specific keybinds

Find where it says STRAFE LEFT AND STRAFE RIGHT

Bind strafe left to A and strafe right to D.

Turn left and turn right are now unbound!?!? Good. That´s what you want. You are no longer a keyboard turner and just opened up E and Q for ability keybindds.

Binding your mousewheel is great for spamming abilities, My Mousewheel forward is haunt, mouse wheel backwards is UA. It was great for spamming lightning bolts and steady shots back in TBC. You can also bind mousewheel click.
    Reddfoxx the Warrior | @ReddfoxxMX | SWTOR Sentinel Reddfoxx, Marauder Reddfox @ The Harbinger Server

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by pvppuppy
    Why not try ESDF instead of WASD ?
    Old school FPS. ESDF feels wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronada
    You mean you don´t have Clique set up for your lock, gherkin?

Shift left unending breath, shift wheel detect invis, shift right apply soulstone.

That frees up some buttons.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll use that soon

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Just wanted to add to OP - Out of all classes I have the lock is hardest to keybind everything. I just hit 80 and got the new abilities and felt like crying :'( about getting demonic teleport because now I have to figure out what to keybind it to.

I would also suggest leaving X alone as it can be sorely missed when you are flying or swimming, my case was EoE phase 3.

f1 = CoE
    f2 = Corruption /shift f2 = CoA
    f3 = Shadow ward
    f4 = CoT

other F's are binded to random shit, as they are too hard to reach

1 - incinerate / Shift 1 - Immolate
    2 - Shadow Flame
    3 - chaos bolt
    4 - seering pain
    5 - shadow burn
    6 - shadow bolt

q = conflagrate
    e - teleport / shift e - summon port
    r - all in 1 pet macros with shifts/ctrls
    f - soul fire
    c - shadow fury
    x - deathcoil
    z - fel dom macros with shifts/ctrls
    v- fear
    b - Howl
    ` - focus mouse over

Trinkets and WOTF are on mouse

works for me
    Banned.

i dont wanna read of all of this and get confused, so i'll just say that if u want to make room for 3 more things, the easiest thing to do would to remove 3 of the least used abilities you currently use and just shove those to the side somewhere to click with your mouse on the off chance u do need it or even bind them to something u would have to look down at your keyboard to find if only for just a second or 2. or, find spells/abilities that you would only end up using when you have free time to use them and thus would be able to mouse click those abilities and insert the 3 new ones that way. to clear that up a bit, if u have creating a health stone key binded, i'm guessing thats something u rarely end up doing in the middle of a fight that requires your fullest attention and thus can be moved somewhere else out of the way. hope this isn't confusing or useless

Everything around my WASD buttons are bound to an ability. Other UI frames (Like Char Pane or Bags ++) is bound to buttons in the middle of my keyboard. But i still can't find a good enough system for quick buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Fail
    Hey, the last few weeks i've been having somewhat of a problem regarding how to keybind my abilities as a warlock. I do PvP on a heavy basis, and i'm one of those people who use my entire toolbox. If i find a use for Eye of Kilrogg (Just an example, i know it's useless) in a PvP situation... it gets keybinded. And i've found a use for quite an amount of spells in my spellbook. So i've keybinded, well... alot of it. This is the issue:

I've run out of keys to bind stuff on. Every button i can reach is bound, and i'm now picking up engineering aswell, since i've just finished leveling my alt with mining. This means i need 3 additional keybindings: Rocket Boots, Glove Rocketlaunchers, and friggin' grenades on my belt.

This is my playstyle:
    WASD for movement. I use the Shift modifier excessively for combat spells, and CTRL for most of my not so often spells. Alt is a modifier that shows my buff/pet/consumables bars so i don't use it as an active modifier, nor will i, since it limits the freedom of my index and pinky too much. I have keybound the scroll for pet control, and my Mouse3 button for various defensive abilities. My keys range from | (console) to 5, T, G, B as the edges. And everything in between of those are keybinded, with the exception of < and Z which are unreachable effectively without losing control of my movement.

Any tips?
    Have you tried using further binds? Things like summoning portals can have crazy keybinds to them. Personally I use shift+fbuttons for the spells that use soul shards and aren't pets (summoning portal, soulwell etc).

Maybe posting your actual binds could help.

I have the nostromo, with 0-9 and 4 buttons on the D pad keybound, shift and alt hot keyed on my mouse, that gives me 42 easy to reach keybindings! I have jump on the thumb button, and auto run on the round orange button... works out well, the hard part is remembering where 42 spells are on each character when u have 5 80's =\ lol

I've also been having issues finding good keybinds. But here are mine.

Q,E are strafe. WS forward and back. I don't bind anything else on these.

1 shatter, shift 1 drain soul
    2 EMFH, shift 2 banish
    3 death coil shift 3 fear
    4. shadow ward shift 4 teleport

(and as my hands are rather petite for the size of my keyboard..didn't think of that when I bought it, I haven't bound 5.)

A = immolate
    shift A = conflag
    D = incin
    shift D = CB

R = life tap
    shift R = life tap rank 1

F = rain of fire
    shift F = shadowfury

Z = pet attack
    X = pet passive

C = CoD
    shift C = CoA

I am not completely happy with the curses yet as it feel a little awkward and since I rarely cast corr (just while moving when I have nothing else really) I haven't found a good keybind yet. Ideally I would like to bind corr to the same as my major curse and find another key for the off-curse which I only cast when CoD runs out and boss won't live another minute,

Ctrl is my current push to talk button so I didn't do any modifiers with it.

I click the teleport drop spell. I click to wand (which i rarely do).

I don't have any consumables keybound yet either.

I would like to rebind "target of target" which is default F since I have been missing that when I select a tank in a 5man and want his target. Raids we have tank target frames so it's all good there.

For me all my key binding are for fight.. no portal or shit its kinda useless and there is way too many spell to lose a keybinding...

First PvP
    1. caosbolt; shift 1 shadowburn; Ctrl 1 incinarate
    2. immolate; shift 2 banish; Ctrl 2 Conflag
    3. curse of Element; shift 3 curse of tongue; Ctrl 3 drainlife
    4. coruption
    Q. drainmana
    E. teleport; Ctrl E drop teleport
    F. fear; shift F shadow ward
    V. Battlemaster's Bravery + Healtstone; Shift v Health funnel
    H. Howl of terror
    #. trinket
    shift+spacebar. lifetap
    Ctrl+spacebar. escape artist
    -*/ are my buff(fel armor , water and invisibility)

mouse:
    weal up. deathcoil; shift weal up. shadowflame
    weal down. macro for pet (silence, seduce, sacrifice)
    Middle mouse(m3). shadowfury

thats about it... its pretty much same for my Pve bars just switch some spell around more usefull for pve ^^
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mug'thol&n=Axio
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mug'thol&n=Axioqt