Poll: Which gaming console is the best/provides the most fun?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Best gaming console EVER!?

The old gaming systems where awesome, but they aren't the best. The newer ones are obviously superior in graphics, and other such things like that (although that doesn't always make a good game). I myself was in love with my PS1 when it first came out... and when FF9 came out on PS1 you never saw me out of the basement! Unfortunately (maybe its a good thing) games today are too small, and not nearly as captivating so you tend to see me a bit more.

Edit: I never had a SNES (my brother did), but I did have a n64!

My vote would have to go for the SNES, one of my fav games was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Graphics have nothing to do with gameplay or value. I missed the Atari phase, but have been around since Nintendo first got big, and I can tell you one thing that is often missing from many games now days. Quality. I don't mean graphics, or catchy gimmicks. I mean just flat out GOOD games. The 360 suffers the WORST from this, having the most games that are just cheap knock offs of earlier games with slightly different/better graphics, but the Wii is pretty bad for it too, diluting their games to try and reach a wider playerbase. I'm not saying the PS3 doesn't have it's problems, it does, but overall it's the best of the modern day systems. But that isn't what gets my vote.....

The SNES. Some of my fonder childhood memories take place playing Secret of Mana with my sisters or friends, or Turtles in time. Or playing FF 2 or 3 ((or 4 or 6, as I now know they were)) or some other RPG. Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda.....just so many fond memories. Unfortunately I hated the N64 with a bloody passion due to a lack of RPGs and the worst controller ever designed by man.

As a side note, 6 and 7 aren't that far apart really, not in my book, and I've been playing FFs since.....1. Obviously I didn't get to play 2, 3, and 5 but the only one that would have really caught my attention would have been 5, so that isn't a huge loss. But....yea, never understood all the ragging on VII. It was a good, quality game, and at the time it was top of it's class, no questions about it.

I'd like to be verbose on this, but I have a feeling nobody would care for the gaming story of my life, so I'll shorten it to the bare basics:

I voted SNES, but it could easily have gone to some other consoles.

Earthbound | Chrono Trigger | Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars | Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Super Metroid | Super Mario World | Final Fantasy VI | Gradius III

Of course, other games could easily be considered my favorites, like Harvest Moon 64, most Megaman NES games, the Paper Mario series, Dragon Quest VIII, etc. But the sheer amount of quality titles for the SNES was astounding, as I'm sure more than a few of you are muttering at least one title I should be hanged for either not playing or mentioning. I grew up on Nintendo, so having played mostly nintendo games and systems, I'm a bit biased, but still know the joys of playing titles like FF VII/IX/Tactics, Xenogears, God of War, Tales of the Abyss, and so on.

missing a few in the list:
    vectrex
    neo geo
    colecovision

and even if todays consoles win handsdown if it comes to graphics and sounds, that is not what makes the best console. gameplay and fun is what makes the best. so snes wins this! (although wii comes very very close).

Well all the new systems are great and all, but I had so much fun on the n64 I just HAD to vote for it! Ahhh, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Mario Party, and so much more!!!!

I am surprised nobody voted wii yet, if I didn't have so many great n64 memories I would have voted for it, it is so original and is the only system that has interesting new controls that is fun to learn for a gamer and also something fun looking for non gamers, like your mom!

Oh, and shame on all you ps3/360 voters! I mean seriously, the 360 has had so many errors with it just cause they wanted to be first out and ps3 cannot play ps2 games (another amazing system) which was better. Oh and, WII IS THE REVOLUTION!!!

N64 is the best console ever made!!

I voted N64 but it was a hard tossup between that and the SNES.

I rented the Japanese Ver. of the N64 a couple months before its release in the states. Even though I couldn't read anything, the graphics and game play were ridiculous. I mean lets look at its competition.

You had the Sega Saturn which was $400-500 dollars on its release, a 32-bit system that played off cd's which required a load time. Had a very limited game selection. Similarly there was the Playstation, priced about the same, same graphics, cd/load time, a sleeker design and I liked the controllers but that was about it.

Then the N64. I got it a couple days before its US debut, had to pay $350 instead of $300 but was well worth it. 64-bit system, more affordable price than its competition, promised a great game lineup, no load times, controller was kinda fugly but oddly enough felt right in your hands. Only complaint was the 2 game release it had. Took a couple months before worthwhile games started coming out but the selection was ridiculous. Goldeneye, Mario64, Zelda, Smash Brothers, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, and many others.

What bugs me the most about games nowadays is they seem kind of lost. For me all it takes is one REALLY good game and I'll purchase a console, but thats the problem. Most consoles now only have 1-2 really good games where the N64 had a ton. For me, playstation2-onimusha xbox-halo, halo2 xbox360-halo3. Right now I have a PS3. Unfortunately they didn't market themselves right and have little to no exclusive titles for the console. As far as an all in one system goes PS3 kicks ass nowadays. Easy to navigate, tons of features, free online play, blue ray, great console. Just lacks games.

But yea, N64 def. most memorable for me..

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Where's the option for the PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Specops
    Where's the option for the PC?
    PC != console.

The entire point of this thread is to determine what people enjoy besides the pc, since it is pretty much assumed that all of us here like gaming on computers, this being a website all about a computer game and such.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateka
    Get over the nostalgia please. Yes, the Mario Franchise was great. Yes, I still play Mario Kart 64 with my girlfriend sometimes.
    Why get over it? Because you're not interested?

What's it matter if the game is old... it's not just about the graphics every time. Sometimes it's just fun to go back and revisit great stuff from the past... like watching an old movie that you love where the special effects don't compare to what's out now. 32 years later it's still cool to watch Star Wars.

I voted PS3 because it's a great system... but my vote for favorite system of all time... that would be Intellivision!

lol@ zero votes for PsP

y?

B/c it's terribad.
    Current main: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&cn=Thetormented

Lol gamegear

15+ Year Old Account

Nothing can compare to how awesome it was/is!

I STILL Play mine =O!

I would say a N64 with Micro Machines in 8 player mode!

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen

PS1 !

Ps1.... Spyro is just pure win

The SNES was hands down the greatest console in gaming history. The library of absolutely classic games on the SNES is untouchable:

Chrono Trigger
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link the the Past
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Metroid
    Contra III
    F-Zero
    Street Fighter II - Street Fighter Alpha (the definitive ports at the time)
    Mortal Kombat 1&2 (sure the Genesis version of 1 may have blood, but it can't compare in terms of playability)
    Final Fantasy III (VI)
    Earthbound
    Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    Actraizer
    Soulblazer
    Illusion of Gaia
    Lufia I&II
    And tons more fan/personal favorites.

Chrono trigger was on SNES

/thread

Hey, why no Pegasus option?

Oh well, SNES is probably closest to it.
    http://www.otofotki.pl/img8/obrazki/ty9760_1zogm8n.jpg

Oh well, good memories from those times.