Thread: Maximizing DPS

Maximizing DPS

I got my hunter to 80 not too long ago and I really have no idea what to do with him. I consider all specs being decently fun but I've heard so many opinions on what my specc should be depending on my gear level. My DPS I've considered to be a tad unimpressive and I'm so confused on what I should be doing with my hunter. I know a lot of people will say "whatever is most fun" but I'm really just looking to maximize my DPS for now.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Legion&n=Tatai

The spec is a spec I was playing with that a friend recommended but I've been hearing BM falls very short on raids.

Edit: Yes I've read the stickies plus other stickies over at other forums but they really dont answer my question. Very informative but I still dont know what to go for in my specific case.

Re: Maximizing DPS

Alright first thing, drop the points out of focused fire and Go for the throat and spec them into Focused Aim, that is a staple talent for ANY AND ALL hunter specs.

Unless the socket bonus is really impressive (and the only one I'd gem for on your gear is the leg one, which you can get with the prismatic gem I'm about to link), gem everything 20 Agility for survival except for one Nightmare Tear to activate your meta gem (it will cover both your yellow and blue gem). I would say hit cap first when gemming, but i see you're overcapped and dropping those two hit gems would benefit you (just make sure you stay above 8%).

Get the 8 or 10 all stats enchant for your chest.
    Get the 22 Agility cloak enchant.
    Rep up with ebon blade and get their revered helm enchant.
    Rep up with sons of hodir and get their shoulder enchant.
    Work on replacing that green ring with something better, even an AH blue would be better.

Now we get to rotation, the proper priority for survival shots is (at least in my opinion) as follows:
    Kill Shot (if below 20%)
    Black Arrow
    Explosive Shot
    Aimed shot (in your case multi-shot, yes even for single target since you don't have aimed)
    Steady Shot

Also make sure you keep Serpent Sting on your target at all times (if you need to refresh it put its priority in just under explosive shot).

If you get a lock and load proc: fire off one explosive shot, when the debuff is halfway gone on your target fire off the second, and repeat for the third.

That's pretty much everything I think. People will correct me if i've misinformed you or if I missed something important.

[edit: forgot cloak enchant]

Thank you, so I suppose I should be rolling with Survival spec then. It's my least favorite spec out of the three but I suppose I could learn to like it. I'll start tweaking my gear now so I can stay SV for the long run.

Thanks for the information, Althraniir!

This spec: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#cZ0eV...0cIhedAhsd:ANf

And correct priority is KS > ES > BA > SrS > AS.

Quote Originally Posted by Atty
    This spec: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#cZ0eV...0cIhedAhsd:ANf

And correct priority is KS > ES > BA > SrS > AS.
    There is no cookie cutter spec for survival. If you're not haste capped (25% haste), you want to spec into Imp Aspect of the hawk to reach it.

The only difference between my shot priority and yours is the black arrow placement, which I personally feel is of greater benefit as you get the BA buff on the explosive shot you are about to cast, and a chance that the first tick will trigger LnL. I wrote serpent sting separately from the shot priority but I put its priority in the correct position based on my repositioning of black arrow. Yes, I know the sticky shows your rotation as correct, but I disagree with the sticky, I've even posted a comment within it sharing my opinion.

But yes, look at the glyphs he linked in that spec, as that is one thing I failed to mention in my post.

[EDIT: cleaned up the paragraph structure]