Page 1 of 2
LastLast

holy pally question

Hello all,

I have been playing my holy pally for a few weeks now and have cleared ToC 10 with my guild and puged NR beasts 25 ToC. I have got a few nice drops from these and have got a question or two for you experienced holy pallies.

First off, I'm trying to get my Mana up to the seeming magical 30k+ region I keep reading about. Currently I'm sitting at 23.3k unbuffed with my current gear. Is this enough to start to attempt some of the hard mode 10 man ToC fights or should I just stay back until I'm better geared? I don't want to make my fellow healers have to carry me should it not be high enough.

Another thing is, do you find that mail and sometimes leather items are better than the plate that you have found? Currently I'm running with a pair of leather caster boots with hit, simply because the other stats are better than anything else I have found thus far.

Here is my armory link:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...xis&n=Sabrinta

(Yes I know my ret spec is junk, ive not respecced from a failed leveling spec I was making a while ago)

Finally, if I'm going all out to raid,should I drop both engineering and mining and pick up JC and Blacksmithing for the min/max potential that it brings to the table? Would the JC trinket with 2 sockets, socketed with the dragons eye cuts go towards helping me out with my mana 'issues'?

EDIT: Regarding professions, would it be viable for endgame to keep Engineering and pick up JC for the gems?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: holy pally question

1. Gem all int, ignore all those people that suggest haste + sp, or any other variation.. the socket bonuses are not important, the spell power bonuses to your unwavering 14k-16k crit holy lights (no wings or trinkets) is hardly noticable if your sp changes slightly
    2. Find the proper enchantments for int/spell power+stam(on legs)/crit
    3. As for the gear, yes who cares that you don't wear plate... you're not supposed to be getting hit anyway.. and all that reduction to physical damage... DANG
    Itemization for a holy paladin would include more spell power , haste, and crit... with the usual +stam +int on the item anyway

Mana shouldn't be that big of a problem unless you're having trouble with the fight / your own playstyle which can be worked around

...and pretty soon you'll look good too

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Horroricane

edit:

oh for professions? If you're going to be pve do JC + bsmith / alch... alch for the flasks + mixology benefits, but with bsmith you get extra sockets to put int gems in for 2k+ more mana... lol

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Your gear is good enough to do 10 man ToC HM. We actually clear it every week with our alts, got 48 attempts on alts last tuesday >.>
    Right now in ToC mail and plate have almost if not the same itemization so don't wait for all plate and get mail pieces too.
    Try to get to a good comfortable haste % (around 600 haste rating is like a min. for me) and then start looking for more crit/mp5 in your gear.
    All int gems is ftw <3 and BS/JC compared to other professions are a minimal difference but if you want to get the max out of it, go for it and level them! :P

I gem mostly all int, but I like my socket bonuses for the sake of burst healing... but overall stackin all int is the way to go. except for that 1 red and 1 blue or whatever for the metagem bonus.

I always heal as 51/20/0 because it's my pvp spec as well. So I make set bonuses for the sake of burst healing since I don't spec 3 points so my holy light casts are faster after each one. bubble sac etc.

for a hardmode I'd respec pve and drop holy bombs for 2 minutes strait.

I would consider the Nightmare Tear (you dont need to be JC to use it) you will also reach your meta socket requirements. JC will help with reaching you 30k mana target.

The problem with half the Holy Pallies nowadays is that they go oom like no other.

You can stack int, WHOOPY, go ahead and get that 38K mana raid buffed.
    It doesn't matter at all if you go oom in 1 minute, try to find a balance with int / MP5 is my advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathflame
    Going for avoidance is like playing Russian Roulette.
    Quote Originally Posted by GaaraofSand
    It's time to eat Grandpa!
    It's time to eat, Grandpa!

Grammar.. it saves lives.

Quote Originally Posted by TheeZ
    The problem with half the Holy Pallies nowadays is that they go oom like no other.

It doesn't matter at all if you go oom in 1 minute, try to find a balance with int / MP5 is my advice
    and your advice is bad. Intellect is more than just a bigger mana pool. Between divine plea, replenishment, extra spell crit for Illumination, and seal of wisdom procs, (not to mention more spell power) it trumps MP5 in absolutely every way.

Quote Originally Posted by TheeZ

hahaha trying to decide if he's just a really bad troll or doesnt have a pally... should we do some math just for kicks anyway? I'll do both 30k mana and your figure of 38k =P

Divine plea: you gain %25 of your mana over 15 seconds 1 min CD (figure best to use with wings so if thats the only time you use it figure 3 min cooldown lets look at both.

with 30k mana thats 7500 mana per use so 375 mp5 if used on DP CD and 125 mp5 if only used with wings (over the course of the entire fight)

with your number of 38k mana thats 9500 mana per use or 475 mp5 for DP CD or 158 mp5 if only used with wings..

Replenishment: %1 of max mana per 5 seconds..

with 30k mana thats 300 mp5... 38k 380 mp5...

so how exactly is it possible to gain anywhere near as much mp5 by dropping INT that not only increases this but also my crit (which is regen itself) and spellpower, by upping my mp5?

Quote Originally Posted by wellhellothere
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azshara&n=Horroricane
    I don't mean to derail the thread here, but I have a question for you. Do you find Libram of Veracity more powerful than Libram of Renewal? From all the data I've seen so far, Libram of Renewal has always been the premier libram. Do you just equip the Libram of Veracity when you log out for the ilevel rating?

Congrats on getting Starcaller, by the way.

always go with libram of renewal. and original poster, your rings are reallly bad. 32 int? just buy the kir torn one at least. use triumph badges in the int trinket and scrap that waste of a sp trinket.

ok in reply to the above reply.

I only hit 80 on the 9th of this month. I've not been lucky with drops for rings. Actually the only rings we have seen drop since I hit 80 have all been with spirit which I let the casters roll on and I passed.

I am saving up the 50 triumphs currently for the large int buff trinket andt eh next item I'm going for is the heart mender ring. Not all of us have the luxury of being able to do ToC 10/H and ToC 25 clears every week. At best I can get the H dailies done, a ToC 10 clear, VoA boss down and MAYBE pugging the first 1-2 bosses in 25 ToC.

The Kirin Tor ring is definatly an option but I'm saving for teh bike, I want to ride in style and don't want to burn all that gold on a 40 point upgrade (according to my loot rank anyways) where drops can trump it should I get lucky.

I know there are a few things I need to do witht he rings. I leveled from 71-80 via AV so they where the best thing I could get my hands on. Sorry if it's not a leet as yours sir, but you have had more time to obtain upgrades/triumphs.

All the other comments have beenvery helpful in opening myh eyes to a few things.

I have one more question however. Why are you suggesting popping wings with DP? I'm not logged in game atm so cannot check or test. Just curious.

Thanks again to all for the helpful replies

Quote Originally Posted by Greyarea
    I have one more question however. Why are you suggesting popping wings with DP? I'm not logged in game atm so cannot check or test. Just curious.
    Because when you pop DP you get a -50% healing done debuff, and when you pop your wings you get a +20% healing done buff. Basically you pop it both at thesame time to lower the effect of the DP debuff and reduce the chance of your tank or raid dying due to nerfed heals.

Stood in the Fire andy_mitchelluk's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

If you get hold of <A HREF="http://www.wowhead.com/?item=48724">Talisman of Resurgence</A> from the triumph vendor, a good trick is to pop wings, use divine plea and use the trinket.

That way the reduced healing from divine plea is pretty much negated by the avenging wrath increase and the 599 spell power increase from the trinket

Also if you want to make things even better, while using these you could use <A HREF="http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=31842">Divine Illumination</A> to drop your spell costs in half for 15 seconds.

And if you get real desperate for mana, you could get brave and go melee the boss with seal of wisdom on and watch your mana rocket up!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by andy_mitchelluk
    And if you get real desperate for mana, you could get brave and go melee the boss with seal of wisdom on and watch your mana rocket up!
    Thats how I heal Onxyia 10 man with only 1 other healer

Quote Originally Posted by Ihatepallys
    Change your meta. Get the one that gives 21 crit and 2% mana increase, the 2% is alot more than the 21 int gem. Get new rings! Oh and change your spec to http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...AjQQPyA,,10482. Change your glyph of flash of light to beacon of light, it helps you preserve mana. Drop your professions and go JC/BS you will gain alot more. The JC trinket gives 110 int if you socket it with dragon eyes plus 2,304 mana over 12 seconds. Get your second piece of Tier 8.5 from badges because the two set bonus plus Sacred shield/FoL is beastly. Since you are replacing your crappy trinket with the JC trink get the tier 9 gloves for the two set.
    you missed the other part of the meta, the important part "and a chance to return mana on spellcast" thats what makes this a good meta not the int. new rings he already explained. glyphed beacon can be huge, smart advice. JC/BS is pro. 2 piece tier 9 is meh, your probably better off with some of the mail (and even some leather) drops from ToC and dont break the tier 8 2 piece until you got 4 t9 because it is crazy good, so no need to spend triumphs on tier until you got your ring/trink set up because those are really tough.

10+ Year Old Account

Change your meta. Get the one that gives 21 crit and 2% mana increase, the 2% is alot more than the 21 int gem. Get new rings! Oh and change your spec to http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...AjQQPyA,,10482. Change your glyph of flash of light to beacon of light, it helps you preserve mana. Drop your professions and go JC/BS you will gain alot more. The JC trinket gives 110 int if you socket it with dragon eyes plus 2,304 mana over 12 seconds. Get your second piece of Tier 8.5 from badges because the two set bonus plus Sacred shield/FoL is beastly. Since you are replacing your crappy trinket with the JC trink get the tier 9 gloves for the two set.
    21 Intellect gives more mana than 2% mana.

Change your meta. Get the one that gives 21 crit and 2% mana increase, the 2% is alot more than the 21 int gem.
    Not true. 21 int is better and the proc is also a big advantage.

Change your meta. Get the one that gives 21 crit and 2% mana increase, the 2% is alot more than the 21 int gem.
    Just to reiterate - the 21 crit 2% mana gem is just terrible. Some healers can justify the 25 SP 2% Int gem, but I'd never recommend it to a holy pally.

Insightful Earthsiege Diamond is the one true faith.

15+ Year Old Account

goto

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/

that site will become one of ur best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Thats how I heal Onxyia 10 man with only 1 other healer
    Healing from melee range is (or should be) a standard tactic of every pally healer.

Obviously it takes more work, and you can't do it on every right because you have to move some and watch, but if you can get a swing in between every couple heals that's a ton of extra mana.