Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Onyxia, no longer Fire immune

Us fire (TTW) mages will now be able to use our main spec and do Onyxia. No using a Frost off spec (I have one for farming) or using FFB which we are not spec'd into.

Anyone have any memories from being a Fire mage in old Onyxia and having to use something else? I wasn't around then, but I didn't know she was fire immune (a guildie had told me it was changed) until I went in at level 80, and started firing off fireballs and seeing Immune. I am glad they changed that.

Re: Onyxia, no longer Fire immune

Many things were fire immune back then, so it wasn't that big a deal... Fire mages were not viable for raiding pretty much, as there were many fire immune creatures in Molten Core and Blackwing Lair as well... From AQ40 on fire was viable, but not before, so it's not that different from when you see a hunter switch from say marksman to survival because his gear now benefits more from a new spec... It just was mandatory.

Most mages that liked fire just used a build that was 0/31/20 or 0/20/31, so they could go fire whenever possible and not gimp themselves too much on other fights... but then again most mages were content raiding as frost.

yeah, i have noticed a lot more fire immune stuff in old world content, as i run stuff. Makes sense that fire wouldn't have been very viable. I am happy things aren't really fire immune anymore. Are there any mobs that are frost immune?

10+ Year Old Account

Yep, vanilla was pretty constrained like that. All raiding mages were frost (at least until AQ40), just like all priests were holy, all druids were resto, and all warriors were prot

Off the top of my head, Sapphiron was frost immune.

i remember first time i went into ony, i was like, fuck ya... lets cast fireball

1 sec..
    2 sec...
    IMMUNE!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU lol

so glad they changed it, cus i love the fire spec

Fire mages werent the only one that wouldve been screwed if Ony was still fire immune. As a destro lock, I can vouch that pretymuch my entire rotation is fire damage, and then there goes my deeps

but of course, every lock ought to go afflic for ony, because obviously we're going to need moar dots...
    http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/ToxicPhox/Duro_sig_drake.jpg?t=1256222077

Quote Originally Posted by KhameleonN
    Yep, vanilla was pretty constrained like that. All raiding mages were frost (at least until AQ40), just like all priests were holy, all druids were resto, and all warriors were prot
    All the content that required frost was relatively easy, only late BWL came anywhere close to being difficult enough to matter. Most competant raiding mages were fire because they were long past the content where it was restricted.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

thanks god!
    survival hunters would have a few problems otherwise...

Deleted

Locks were of course Shadowbolt machine guns one the dots were up as well.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    All the content that required frost was relatively easy, only late BWL came anywhere close to being difficult enough to matter. Most competant raiding mages were fire because they were long past the content where it was restricted.
    Dont forget that Ony and MC were pretty hardcore raiding instances when there wasnt anything else to do yet

Quote Originally Posted by Syph
    Dont forget that Ony and MC were pretty hardcore raiding instances when there wasnt anything else to do yet
    Eh....even the retard-stocked casual raiding guild I was in waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day was farming rag long before BWL released. 5manning some of the other dungeons was more interesting.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

damn... giants...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

Geez, so mages had to go frost back then, when there were no dual specs etc. Why? Because it makes so much fucking sense that fire breathing dragons are fire immune or next to fire immune!!!
    Now there are dualspecs, no "fire only" spell dmg gear, yet they remove fire immunity.
    That's a really lame change.... :

omg casuals etc. :P
    Culto, the goblin undead warlock!
    Fuck it. I'm not waiting that long.

No they weren't ^^ We had a whole bunch of firemages (including the mage leader of our raid) back then. But I still remember we were seriously annoyed. Our mageleader commented this at several occasions with "The time I see the first frost-immune mob in an instance I will laugh loud". Well on the other hand we had rolling ignites.

And yes, I remember hitting Raggi and Ony with untalented frostbolt. They still went down.

BWL was not SO bad... Vaelastrasz was fire immune and Nefarian, as far as I remember. I think that was it (not 100% sure anymore about the first of the 3 nearly-identic-dragons...).

BTW: All Warriors Prot also untrue, I remember we had at least 2 non-prot warriors...
    Somebody got a Dark Intent and a Focus Magic for Tarecgosa and me? ;-)

it was a simpler time, a better time.

as a raiding mage doing weekly Nef runs i would have to disagree. Most mages did frost damage but they had an arcane spec. 31/0/20 was where it was at. That's just because you could stack AP+ZHC+TOEP and blow shit up pretty much once every pull. It definitely rocked the charts.
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

It's good for Destro/Demonology locks too
    >Signature Removed, Replacement Pending<

as dest lock i say thank god i can now dps and not stand there and spam shadow bolt