Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Arcane rotation becomming a ''No-brainer'' in 3.2.2

Hey. So i noticed the changes to AB and Missile barrage for 3.2.2

I am just wondering now, will the mage's arcane rotation become a No-brain rotation?

Taking a look at the changes.

* Arcane Blast: The buff from using this ability now stacks up to 4 times instead of 3, and each application increases mana cost by 175% instead of 200%. In addition, the duration of the buff has been reduced to 6 seconds.
    * Arcane Missiles: Casting this spell while both Missile Barrage and Clearcasting are active will cause only Missile Barrage to be consumed.
    * Missile Barrage: The effect from triggering this talent now removes the mana cost of Arcane Missiles. In addition, the chance for Arcane Blast to trigger this talent is now 8/16/24/32/40%. All other listed spells continue to have a 4/8/12/16/20% chance to trigger it. This talent no longer has a chance to be triggered when spells miss.

So we get 40% chance to trigger Missile barrage talent, and you want to cast AB 4 times in a row.
    4*40% = 160%

Wont this mean that we can make the Arcane rotation into one button macro? something like this.

/Castsequence Arcane blast, Arcane blast, Arcane blast, Arcane blast, Arcane Missiles, Arcane barrage

Disguss

Re: Arcane rotation becomming a ''No-brainer'' in 3.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Wizie
    So we get 40% chance to trigger Missile barrage talent, and you want to cast AB 4 times in a row.
    4*40% = 160%
    Your math is incorrect.

The correct formula is:

1 - (60%) ^ 4, or 87.04% chance of proccing in 4 casts.

But yes, lots of arcane mages have used a similar macro in the past.

Edit - Cleaned up formula.

Please learn to use maths properly next time.
    ˙spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ʎɯ ןןɐ ʎɐןd ı

nope...because 4 arcane blasts do not guarantee missile barrage proccing (4 x 40% =/= 160%...never has, never will).

Guss is a jerk.

If I remember correctly you don't clip the last AM tick with barrage anymore? Did something change in 3.2.2?
    You may now kiss the ring.

Math iz hard.

And, correct. Arc Barrage is dead. Has been for quite some time except for a few stubborn mages.

I've been testing on the lvl80 target dummy with a couple rotations and don't see much difference. I've tried AB4x or until MB procs, then AM, reset. And I've tried AB until MB procs, AM, reset. The second rotation commonly meant only getting AB to 2nd or 3rd stack before AM. The second rotation on average actually seem to yield about 100 DPS more and was of course way more mana efficient.

So what is the highest DPS rotation and what is the standard rotation now? Or are they the same?

I wonder if its realy worth it putig 5 talents in MB , wonder if your better off with 3 talents or 4 in it.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Of course it is worth putting 5 points in it as it also reduces the cost of Arcane Missiles by 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Yeah. It's funny how they reverse the whole thing. The fact of the matter is... if a customer created a scene in real life like they are in the forums, they would be removed from the store. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Example: GC works at McDonalds. Some idiots walks up to the counter and asks for a Whopper. GC tells him they do not sell Whoppers. The idiot flips a nut. Calls GC off and throws straws at him. GC asks him to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenangle
    I wonder if its realy worth it putig 5 talents in MB , wonder if your better off with 3 talents or 4 in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delijica
    Of course it is worth putting 5 points in it as it also reduces the cost of Arcane Missiles by 100%.
    Actually, from what I've seen from my raid last night. The proc chance is already good enough to proc almost ever 4 AB. And mana really wasn't an issue unless somehow MB doesn't proc for like 20 ABs.

But then again there's no really better talents to pick to up instead.

This is what your arcane spec should be somewhat looking like :

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...80,q3J-O,10482

Two things about the above spec; 2/5 frostbolt is pointless, throw it in frostbite instead. The 2 points in student of the mind for extra spirit is personal preference... My crit is high enough in raid that I find more benefit from the extra resistance in 2/2 magic absorption. Everything else looks great. Also, try AB spam with all cd's popped and hero going (heroics bosses naturally). I have ended up with over 10k dps on a few fights, pretty fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbnut
    So what is the highest DPS rotation and what is the standard rotation now? Or are they the same?
    O.o The highest DPS rotation is ABSpam. Is it really practical though? Standard Rotation will be ABx4 MBAM (No MBAM? ArB for Mana Savings)

15+ Year Old Account

nqkljbdwqhj,bwhjdqbwj. you never arcane barrage. never ever. never ever flever bever kever sever never.
    BfA Beta Time

I can't think of any situation where AB spam would be viable, but yeah I guess it would be the highest DPS rotation. I guess my question is which is more DPS:

A. Cast AM immediately after MB procs, regardless of how many AB stacks you have

B. Wait for 4xAB before casting AM

Option A is obviously the better option where mana is an issue since AM is free, but is it as much DPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    nqkljbdwqhj,bwhjdqbwj. you never arcane barrage. never ever. never ever flever bever kever sever never.
    never ever? :>

15+ Year Old Account

never.......................ever.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Elitist Jerks
    000000000000: 7262.694 dps, 677.8624 mps = ABSpam
    000000020020: 7199.522 dps, 153.0721 mps = ABSpam04MBAM
    000000022020: 7122.006 dps, 115.8454 mps = ABSpam024MBAM
    000000022220: 7076.281 dps, 97.94714 mps = ABSpam0234MBAM
    000200002220: 6975.286 dps, 65.87646 mps = ABSpam1234MBAM
    000200102220: 6725.712 dps, 17.99562 mps = AB4ABar1234MBAM
    000201002210: 6537.764 dps, -6.532028 mps = AB3ABar123MBAM
    000210002010: 6303.927 dps, -31.41933 mps = AB2ABar12MBAM
    Yea, I can see why you would never ABar and watch your mana consumption jump to 677mps until ABSpam procs MBAM vs. conservation if it doesn't proc.

I'd much rather have mana the entire fight than wanding halfway through, but thanks anyway.

If you can maintain AB spam during a fight, do it. If you can't, drop to ABSpam x4 MBAM. Still having mana issues? ABSpam until MB procs and pop AM. I find that due to AB's shorter duration, I like to pop AM as soon as it procs otherwise I run the risk of losing the AB buff if I have to move before restacking AB. This is personal experience and is limited to one raid as arcane in 3.2.2.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Grayswandir
    Really?

Yea, I can see why you would never ABar and watch your mana consumption jump to 677mps until ABSpam procs MBAM vs. conservation if it doesn't proc.

I'd much rather have mana the entire fight than wanding halfway through, but thanks anyway.
    get more regen bro. never had to wand in wrath as arcane or as fire, except for vezax hard mode pre-shadow crash.
    BfA Beta Time