Poll: Best spec to level

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Best leveling spec

So i lvled 1-70 as disc, now i've been hearing a lot of great things about lvling as shadow esp. since i mostly do quests and not dungeon heal, so i respecked shadow and now a little bit confused. The main problem is that i do not kill mob before he gets to me and if i manage to pull 3+ mobs it's a problem allready, putting on all the dots + debuffs leaves me with less then 30% mana and my dots alone ushually don't kill, so i have to use shadow fiend + disperse. From the disc side lvling was fairly simple for both, single mob (bubble,holy fire, penance,smite,mind blash,holy fire) and from aoe pack farming (bubble, reneve,holy nova spam). I never tried holy lvling but i think it's close to disc. So my question is : what in your opinion is the best leveling spec and why ?

Re: Best leveling spec

Well. If you cast vamp touch, sw, mindblast, mindflay. In that order the target should die, if not another MF. I often shield before a pull so I am uninteruptable.

3 mobs, easy. Dot each one of them up, shield, dispersion. Mind flay each one (it refreshes sw) and they should all be dead. OR, dot each one of them up and use your mana pet. It kills them all.

For leveling you should have all the mana regen talents, dispersion glyph and talented reduction on mana fiend.

My main sugestion is, put all 3 dots, and mindblast one target, shield, walk to the next target, 2 dots in the order i stated above, mindblast and flay, then next mob 3 dots, 1 MB and so on. Do not wate for them to die, just keep chain pulling. Then when your low on mana mana fiend a mob and SW it, then move on to the next one, 3 dots MB dispersion, keep going. You can get at least get 10 mobs down without having to drink and since your chain pulling its realy fast. Shadow is about the chain puling and letting the dots finish the target off as you dps the next target. I dont know if your dots crit yet but when they can finally crit you just power through everything.

I personally hate shadow leveling just becuase i dont like shadow anyways. BUT i leveled as shadow becuase it was faster.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

15+ Year Old Account

I gave disc a shot for a little while, but it just wasn't as fun or as effective as shadow. As the poster above me said, dot stuff up and make sure to use your mana fiend and dispersion as often as the cooldown is up. Also, make sure you do take improved spirit tap while levelling, as it helps overall. Whatever can give you back mana and health is good.
    For the Alliance!

Sigh. These annoying posts are getting so repetitive, it might force me to actually write a guide this week.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by archiel
    Why would you get mental agility when you only really have three spells that are instant cast, SW:P, Devouring Plague, and SW: D? PW:P gets refreshed when you mind flay, and PW hardly gets used.

...Mental Agility, Inner Focus and Martyrdom? :-\

Since it's an 80 build you have to look at it as DPS..and that spec fails. Even as a leveling build... euw. The only spell that works with Mental Agility is really Devouring Plague. SW:P does get it's mana reduced, but unless you're doing some very specific fights (Loatheb, Thaddius, Hodir) you never need to recast it. Martyrdom is useless. Inner Focus gives you uh... like 4 mp/5 and around a 12% DPS gain on one Mind Blast every 3 minutes? You might as well take Psychic Horror for the disarm.

Shadow at 50.
    Shadow at 60.
    Shadow at 70.
    Shadow at 73 (all points from here on are 'non leveling' talents).

TL;DR: Skip DP/SW:P talents and utility talents while working to Dispersion, then go up to Meditation in Disc and do whatever you want afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Shadow at 50.
    Shadow at 60.
    Shadow at 70.
    Shadow at 73 (all points from here on are 'non leveling' talents).

TL;DR: Skip DP/SW:P talents and utility talents while working to Dispersion, then go up to Meditation in Disc and do whatever you want afterward.
    Those specs are obviously much better than the one the other guy posted, but I think they're missing a trick. Since 3.2.2 is now here IST should be a viable talent in shadow levelling builds - I'm not sure exactly what point it would be worth picking up, but the uptime should be decent

It may be worth taking over say Shadow Reach.

I wouldn't take ISP for a leveling build even with the recent changes. It's more or less required now for raiding, but the uptime is very low when leveling. Shadow Reach allows smoother chain pulling of mobs, which I would consider a much better alternative. That's compounded by the utter lack of mana problems once you have Dispersion.