My DPS! Help? Maybe? Love You Long Time?

First off, here's my mage...

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...7zhul&n=Khomie

Now, I know my gems are a little screwy, I'm working my way towards all +23 spell power gems and +12 spell power +10 spirit (x2). I don't want to spend money on gems, I'd rather just get them from honor and then get someone in my guild to cut it for free. :-)

This mage in Dalaran today whispered me, told me my gems were all messed up, to which I told him I currently knew that, and I'm working towards getting new gems. He told me that my DPS would be ultra low with the gems I currently had and that if I gemmed like i stated above, my DPS would increase significatly. He told me he has less gear then me, and he gets around 10K dps on the Northrend Beasts encounter in TOC.

I told him that I'm suffering from haste, (I only have 330 something). He told me that I had more then enough haste for Fire/TTW spec, and that haste isn't that big of a benefit for Fire/TTW.

I've been researchign for a while now, and everywhere I look, they say that Haste is actually really beneficial for Fire/TTW spec and that 500-600 is good for TOC25(H).

I would like to know if he's telling the truth, or if I'm right and actually need more haste.

*NOTE* Just a little thing to toss in here, there was another mage in my guild (he recently /gquit because he was butt hurt over losing the /roll my guild does on PVP gear from VOA) that normally does 7K dps on non gimmick fights, same exact spec, a little more gear then me (not by a lot), but he has like 620 something haste.

Re: My DPS! Help? Maybe? Love You Long Time?

First off, do your best to get the +SP socket bonuses. Secondly, I wouldn't put that +4/+4 stats gem in your chest, but maybe that's a UI error from armory. Just a quick glance at it, hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nømeansnø
    First off, do your best to get the +SP socket bonuses. Secondly, I wouldn't put that +4/+4 stats gem in your chest, but maybe that's a UI error from armory. Just a quick glance at it, hope it helps.
    OH! Haha so sorry about that.

That was just a quick gem that cost me 50 silver off of the Auction House that I bought. I upgraded to that chest piece, and when I did, I lost my meta gem bonus. So I had to get some kind of a blue gem in my gear so I could activate my meta gem.

This was in the time between our two raids, so to try to minimize our downtime, I just bought one off of the AH really fast. Haha. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Antik
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ntains&n=antik

Hello; you have a lot of people lying to you. I do 7.2k - 8k dps on beasts; there is no possible way those players with similar gear to you are doing more.

In regards to you gear, it really is sad that you aren't using epic gems, the gold is worth it; it's what it is there for... Use it.
    Well there is where there's a problem.

I hate doing dailies, I rarly run any heroics. I pretty much just do the PVP weekleys and raid TOC10/25 with the occasional Ulduar 25. So those quests and boss kills are where I make my money, which is what I use for repairs, and buying mats off the auction house for flasks.

I'd rather not pay 250G or more for 4 spellpower, I'm sorry but thats just retarded. I'd rather pay 70G for 19 spellpower.

But, like I said, my gear will have full epic gems in them. I buy them with honor, and I can typically buy 3 or 4 gems per week if I do the PVP quests. Right now actually I have 2 red gems, and 1 purple gem in my bags waiting for our JC to get on so I can gem my chest better.

PS. Thank you for the response though. I really appreciate your input on the DPS situation. I figured he wasn't pulling 10K DPS on Northrend Beasts when I've seen on of our best geared mages only do a max of 8K on that fight.

Do you know about the haste comment he made? He has I have to much haste (330 something). I've been seeing people with 600+ that are in TOC25(H)

There's a simple answer to many of these questions: they guy you were talking to is an idiot.

Fixing your gems will improve your DPS, but not by a massive margin. They're not that far off from optimal as it is, and gems can only do so much for you, once your meta is activated.

Your gear looks decent. Enchants are a bit off, but nothing big. Enchant your chest with +8/10 stats or +15 spirit, and spring for +63 spellpower once you get a new mainhand. Installing and using Rawr's optimize function might help you find a more optimal set of gear, if you're not currently using it.

Haste can range pretty widely depending on gear level and availability, but there's really no such thing as 'too much' haste, just bad gear choices. Once again Rawr is a good guide here. I'm running 557 haste for my Fireball set at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Komie
    He told me he has less gear then me, and he gets around 10K dps on the Northrend Beasts encounter in TOC.
    ahhh yes the ever elusive 10k deepz...tell him ss or it didn't happen then watch him get all defensive because you called him out.

To your point...yes, more haste will do you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillbro
    ahhh yes the ever elusive 10k deepz...tell him ss or it didn't happen then watch him get all defensive because you called him out.

To your point...yes, more haste will do you well.
    this. regemming will help, but it won't double your dps. Haste is nice.