196dps sword vs 156 dps dagger

Hi. Im pretty new at forums, and tried to find a topic but couldn't.

Things is: I used to be muti spec, with the 156 dagger from KT, and the 143 dps dagger from badges. I was happy I did 5k+ dps in voa on koralon back then.
    I then went to ony25 yesterday and got the sword tempered Vis'kag the Bloodletter http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49501
    I then specced combat with that sword in MH and hatestrike 143dps sword http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39270
    I then went to voa. But on Koralon I saw my dps was just sitting on around 4.3-4.5 k, and I did change glyphs and everything. I then tried dummies, and found myself doing less dps/equal dps as muti.

Thing is, why is that? my MH dps was buffed with 40 dps, so how can it be that im doing equal or even less dps than with my mut spec?
    armory: meh armory is down, but its swiftassasin on Neptulon.

Btw, I know my gear isnt the best, and I did socket some wrong things, but i had exactly 26 expertise as muti, but went to 36 as combat, so thats why some of my gear is a bit odd, because I tried to cut down on my expertise, since everything above 26 is waste.

Re: 196dps sword vs 156 dps dagger

You could just spec out of Weapon Expertise if you've got enough from gear.

Are you sure that you are equally skilled in combat as you are in assassination?

Mutilate is better on some bosses though, try PW for comparison.

Hmm I assume I'm equally skilled.
    Kepping SnD up all the time, and rupture, and eviscerating everytime I got enough CBs and and energy so SND and rupture wont drop.

PW?..

Well since u have been playin' mutilate for some time, there's a chnace u might be more skilled in that specc.

Besides combat is very "buff-dependent" as i see it. So if u didn't have the same raid composition with the combat specc, it's kinda hard do decide wich specc you'll do the most DPS in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darckie
    Well since u have been playin' mutilate for some time, there's a chnace u might be more skilled in that specc.

Besides combat is very "buff-dependent" as i see it. So if u didn't have the same raid composition with the combat specc, it's kinda hard do decide wich specc you'll do the most DPS in.
    Yeah true I might be better at muti. But its not like its a complex rotation for combat so it cant be that hard :P
    I understand that raid composition does mean something, but thats why I tried on dummies. and found dps equal/less. Thing is, am i doing something wrong or what? wound MH, deadly OH. Keep SND and rupture up, and eviscerate when possible?
    I mean, I went from 213 itemlvl MH to 245, I should see some kind of buff :P (even though the weap isnt like the best 245 weap)

Flat combat dps is lower than flat mut dps, because combat has much more offensive cooldowns.
    Basically what I'm trying to say is, part of good combat dps is effectively managing your offensive cooldowns. Simple "using them every time they're up" works to an extent, but you don't go blowing all your cooldowns at the very start of the fight, just so you can maybe get another round of them in before the boss dies. In most cases, you will anyway, so waiting the extra 10-20 seconds for the boss to get debuffed, your own personal buffs to proc, the shammy to pop heroism, etc etc will net you a higher boost in dps.
    Other than that, I can't really remember what else I wanted to say, so I'll leave it at that and you can see what everyone else has to add.

PW = dps check...... when's the last time you did naxx construct wing?

you remember...... 8)

What? No more play?
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Quote Originally Posted by Longview
    You could just spec out of Weapon Expertise if you've got enough from gear.
    This isn't really worthwhile as there are no talents in the combat tree that would net you higher dps if you don't count survivability/movement talents which are situational. i.e. he should swap gear around instead.

It could be one of many things or a bunch added up. Not being as familiar with the spec could have something to do with it, but as combat is fairly straightforward, it seems less likely.

Was it a 10 man or 25? Combat is very dependent on outside buffs, windfury, sunders, 10% ap buff, etc. If you were running with a different group that can have a lot to do with it, especially in a 10 man.