Arcane mage, stat&gear help, please

Hey guys,

i have recently recovered my old account (turns out, been hacked since may, nothing stolen just some dude was playing, lucky me).

now before i start i would like to save you the trouble commenting on gems, some enchants and the meta. I know they are wrong, but no point replacing them as the gear will be replaced soon.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...llscream&n=Bba

Anyways, i've been playing fire ever since level 10. Raided as FFB, back when only naxx was available.

Now, my gear is vastly outdated with 4pc t7 and some other hc gear.

the thing that makes me wonder is the stats on gear, i have gotten the ilvl219 shoes from TOC hc, and gloves from toc normal. But i am unsure as to whether i should use them, or stick with my old gear?
    generally should i sacrifice the haste gear for higher ilvl higher sp gear (such as shoes in this case)?

rawr calculations see it as a very slight dps increase..
    also is there a better enchant than icewalker for arcane mage?

on the same note, what is the ideal cast time of AB? at the moment i have around 2.2s cast time.

thanks for the replies

Deleted

Re: Arcane mage, stat&gear help, please

Best thing now would be to just farm the heroics and get whatever you can, since you have many blues. Get rid of the Sundial and get the trinket from normal ToC, it's very good for it's iLvl and Arcane. You'll be ready for U25, ToC10 by then and you should aim for haste and SP.

Since you don't need much hit, and crit is practically useless for Arcane you should get the Tuskarr's Vitality enchant for your boots. Gem for SP and 2x SP/spirit for the meta activation, when you get more SP you might want to start gemming for SP/haste as well.

Ideal cast time of AB should be a bit below 1.9s, more haste would make it go below GCD (useless) during Bloodlust/Icy Veins, but you can always not use IV during BL. Aim for 700+ haste (impossible for you gear at the moment, but it gets easier with ToC10/25 gear).

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy
    Best thing now would be to just farm the heroics and get whatever you can, since you have many blues. Get rid of the Sundial and get the trinket from normal ToC, it's very good for it's iLvl and Arcane. You'll be ready for U25, ToC10 by then and you should aim for haste and SP.

Since you don't need much hit, and crit is practically useless for Arcane you should get the Tuskarr's Vitality enchant for your boots. Gem for SP and 2x SP/spirit for the meta activation, when you get more SP you might want to start gemming for SP/haste as well.

Ideal cast time of AB should be a bit below 1.9s, more haste would make it go below GCD (useless) during Bloodlust/Icy Veins, but you can always not use IV during BL. Aim for 700+ haste (impossible for you gear at the moment, but it gets easier with ToC10/25 gear).
    Thanks for the detailed reply

i just have 2 blues but that is due to the worst luck on this alt, i never ever see anything usefull drop..
    ran toc normal for the trinket around 10 times, not even once i've seen the trinket.. back in the day ran VH hc every single day for nearly 3 weeks before i managed to get the wrists (mind you one was ninja-ed by a ret pally)

isn't it better to replace the blue trinket instead of sundial? any reason?

also, why the Tuskarrs vitality enchant? what's the use of increased run speed and stamina in PVE?

Sundial and Abyssal Rune ahve the same proc ... wich share an internal cooldown
    they would never ever proc together and since for arcane haste is way better tahn crit you can safely swap those two
    Welcome to the Internet, where the men are men, the women are men, the children are police officers, everyone is correct all of the time, even when they're wrong, and where opinions are more valid the more insults and swear words you include with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Varon
    they would never ever proc together and since for arcane haste is way better tahn crit you can safely swap those two
    darn, didn't know that..
    what about the trinket from Brewfest boss? It is exactly the same as sundial, but is the cd the same?

on my other mage i use the dying curse and the abyssal rune, but didn't check if they proc at the same time..

so what other epic trink to go for is sundial is on same cd?

edit: checked this out, and abyssal rune has a 25% chance to proc, while sundial has a 10% both have 45s internal cd, so in the right conditions, they could proc together, am i not right?

This is a lie, I could log my mage and post a screenshot of them proccing at the same time, but you will have to take my word for it, they do, they are named differently and have a different buff-icon and ID number.

The brewfest trinket is exactly the same as sundail and shares its internal CD, Abyssal rune is currently a very very good Arcane trinket (ranked 4th/5th best in ALL current gear).

actually you are totally wrong.

My twink is mage as well, and i have exactly those two trinkets.
    I´ve seen them proc 5 seconds after another, ive seen them proc overlapping and i´ve seen them procc simultaneously togerther...

Quote Originally Posted by Baelzibub
    This is a lie, I could log my mage and post a screenshot of them proccing at the same time, but you will have to take my word for it, they do, they are named differently and have a different buff-icon and ID number.

The brewfest trinket is exactly the same as sundail and shares its internal CD, Abyssal rune is currently a very very good Arcane trinket (ranked 4th/5th best in ALL current gear).
    ok, did some research.

sundial of exiled, proc's Now is the Time buff

abyssal rune, proc's Elusive power.

thus they can proc at the same time!

still the question remains why should i replace sundial rather than the blue one? (for the time being, i'm unable to raid, so hit is not a problem)

huh ... I have to apologize ...

it really looks like they don't share the same internal CD ... funny

just tested it since i have both ... never thought of that ... as many trinkets with the same proc share their CDs

your hit is no problem at all if you would raid with a moonkin or spriest you would be over capped with 10% without them you would be fine

I'd say replace the blue one ... but thats just me
    Welcome to the Internet, where the men are men, the women are men, the children are police officers, everyone is correct all of the time, even when they're wrong, and where opinions are more valid the more insults and swear words you include with them.

Deleted

Those trinkets can proc at the same time.

As for the question regarding why replace Sundial and not the blue one, because you are hit capped with the blue one, and it's actually better than Sundial.

Tuskarr's vitality because it gives you more dps on a movement fight (less downtime), and like I said, crit is useless and hit even more when you are capped.

EDIT: you could switch the blue one for Abyssal Rune for heroics, but for raids being hit capped is a must. Of course if you have a Boomkin or a SPriest you don't need the blue trinket.

Those trinkets can proc at the same time.

As for the question regarding why replace Sundial and not the blue one, because you are hit capped with the blue one, and it's actually better than Sundial.

Tuskarr's vitality because it gives you more dps on a movement fight (less downtime), and like I said, crit is useless and hit even more when you are capped.
    hm, good point, but that is for high end raiding. I am quite laggy, so i think i'll stick with icewalker for the time being.

I will use the sundial and abyssal for the time being as i am only doing hc's for now. I will also try to get my hands on the dying curse.

edit: realized my point about tuskarr's enchant doesn't make any sense
    anyways, i'll look into it

how about 18 spirit on the boots?

with the gear you got atm you should go fire.

It's not 100% accurate but it's something to aim for and an easy reminder

Arcane =
    1 get capped
    2 stack spellpower
    3 stack haste

fire =
    1 get capped
    2 stack spellpower
    3 stack crit
    4 stack haste

Since you basicly got a lot of crit gear fire is going to work a lot better for you until you got more haste

Quote Originally Posted by sponske
    with the gear you got atm you should go fire.

It's not 100% accurate but it's something to aim for and an easy reminder

Arcane =
    1 get capped
    2 stack spellpower
    3 stack haste

fire =
    1 get capped
    2 stack spellpower
    3 stack crit
    4 stack haste

Since you basicly got a lot of crit gear fire is going to work a lot better for you until you got more haste
    no way i am going back to fire
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...am&n=Kikimaras
    this is my other toon i used to play as fire, and especially for hc's it is annoying.

the dps is very rng, whilst doing hc's threat is a problem as one crit can mess up everything..
    when i get back to raiding i will use fire, but for hc's it's not worth it and very annoying.

also for TTW/FB spec, Haste> crit.

for my current gear, i think that mana could be a problem, but with arcane i can stretch out the mana by altering rotations

p.s. in hc's i am always over 3.5k dps, with fire i would be struggling to even reach that..
    even with the better geared toon my dps is sometimes as low as 3k in hc's (pre combustion change). havent played it since july

Quote Originally Posted by fujima

how about 18 spirit on the boots?
    youre kidding right?

even with 2/5 T9 tuskarrs vitality is still the way to go here!

Quote Originally Posted by merce
    youre kidding right?

even with 2/5 T9 tuskarrs vitality is still the way to go here!
    no, i'm just saying, that since i don't raid for the time being, and seeing that there are very few encounters in hc's where you have to move, the Tuskarrs vitality is useless..

whilst spirit gives symbolic regen ant crit..although a very symbolic gain, but it is more usefull for me now cause it is used the whole time (even though the bonus is very minor).

Tuskarrs will be usefull and i will use it when i start raiding, but not now. That's my opinion..

Deleted

18 spirit would only give you 2.7 mp5 in combat, and 9.9 crit rating without 2/5 T9 and with Molten Armour glyph.

18 spirit would only give you 2.74 mp5 in combat and 9.9 crit rating without 2/5 T9.
    i surrender

Ok just asking....
    ttw/fire goes hit-SP-haste-crit?
    Arcane goes hit-SP-haste-crit?

And they dont use almost the same gear then? (beside ofc that fire needs alot more hit)
    Everyone thinks their world is falling.. If they had a solid sense of perspective, they probably wouldn't be gamers.