Unexplainable elem lag issue

Hello everyone,

Since there's no tech section and that my problem only concerns my elem shaman (no other chars have this! not even when I'm resto!) I'm posting here. Oh yeah, and wow-europe tech forum doesn't want to work for me, dunno why.

I've been having this issue since BC, and sometimes is gets better, sometimes it's just unplayable.
    When I'm fighting with my elem shaman, and only with this char and this spec I have very weird lag issues, more freezes than lags, but in a very weird way. Let's take an exemple:

- Starting fight, casting.
    - As every caster, I chain casts as fast as possible. And then it happens, around 1 on 10 times: I hit my key, icon is surrounded by white, my character gets in caster position... and nothing happens, no cast bar, no spell starting, but everything around me is as usual, not lagging at all, in fact I even see the damage my swings are doing as I'm trying to cast!
    - Around 2 to 8 seconds later the spell finally starts being cast...

I'm a french player with a shitty DSL connection (2Mbytes, got 65dB of loss on my line), behind a router, a gateway and finally my modem.
    I played a shadowpriest for more than a year with which I've NEVER EVER got that kind of problem. Even when I'm playing resto all my spells are cast at normal speed with no lag behind each!

This is driving me insane, as I'm losing around 1000 dps per fight, and soon it'll be my raid spot I'll be losing if it goes on anymore.
    Please tell me I'm not the only one having this case!

Re: Unexplainable elem lag issue

I find a sledgehammer is a wonderful way to solve these problems.

Not an hardware nor a software issue from my computer:
    Saw this on both my old and new computers, on XP and 7, different installations each time.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Omg it's also happening to me
    I cast something, and I don't see the cast bar... but all the characters around me are standing, moving, but not casting too... then, after 10 seconds, everything that could've happen is happening in 2 seconds.
    I know it sounds complicated... but I also have high latency, and usually, after this kind of lag, I get dcd. I can't tank or heals, and I'm not able to do raids. =( I think it's just because I need a better computer LOL, but if anyone could help...!
    Well I'm French too, so I guess Blizz is racist! XD

Any addon you use for Elemental only?

Try logging in without addons, and see if it happens still.

Remember to take all things in moderation (even World of Warcraft!)
    When interacting with other players a little kindness goes a long way!

I've tried with and without addons, still got the same.

At last someone who has the same issue!! Thanks a lot Naelanu, it's exactly this, and I also get d/ced sometimes when it occurs...
    What FAI do you have ? Got Free myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Amana
    and nothing happens, no cast bar, no spell starting, but everything around me is as usual, not lagging at all, in fact I even see the damage my swings are doing as I'm trying to cast!
    I don't really get this part.

You see the damage your swings are doing?

Edit: Are you running other programs in the background? I used to have a website streaming radio shows in the background, and this happened from time to time. (Not as regular as you describe though.) Had it a few times with a video stream aswell.

Remember to take all things in moderation (even World of Warcraft!)
    When interacting with other players a little kindness goes a long way!

I would guess its one of your addons, though they have been updated I am willing to bet you run with pretty much the same ones all the time.

7 is still in trial stages at the moment, I have had problems with it myself, especially with my soundcard.

If you run in windowed mode then make sure all applications are closed behind your game window, ESPECIALLY flash objects in web browsers. just minimise them, for some reason in win 7 they cause the game to lag up really badly. better still switch to full screen mode, that gets rid of the problem all together.

As for you being the only one, yes you may well be, personally I don't suffer this problem ( i do suffer from playing on US servers in europe though, that sucks)

Just because it doesnt happen on other characters that you are able to notice doesnt mean that it is not a hardware/software fault, its the first time i have ever heard of something like this so I highly doubt its a class/spec thing, read up on how to optimise your machine for wow do everything you can to fix any possible problem that it could be your gear even if you are certain its not. you might accidentally remove the underlying fault while doing it and fix the problem.

you could also speak with your ISP, 65db is pretty high if i remember rightly they might be able to reduce the noise on your line and speed up your connection

This sounds like WG whenever the alliance wins. Mass lag and nobody moving, and somehow they still win.
    "Don't drink and WoW, you'll shard your purples!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteroids
    I don't really get this part.

You see the damage your swings are doing?

Edit: Are you running other programs in the background? I used to have a website streaming radio shows in the background, and this happened from time to time. (Not as regular as you describe though.) Had it a few times with a video stream aswell.

Sorry, french queer mis-translation: me melee swings, as if I wasn't trying to cast (taking that I'm in melee range of course).

Marath:
    I had the problem when I was on my old PC on XP. My computer was a good one, the one I have now is a huge beast. Though I play in windowed mode, but I don't think it's a real lag issue as I see every player and mob around me acting like normal when I can't cast.
    I had this when I was 70, I have it when I'm 80, with or without addons, on two different computers with two different installations of WoW.
    And yes, 65dB is insanely high. I've removed anything that could reduce the noise (in France old phone plugs have capacitors in it, etc).

do you use some targeting macros? I used to get up all my abilitys as rogue after using tricks of the trade on someone who gets slackpoted on ignis... might be something similar..

Sometimes I use targeting macros, most of the time I just tab.
    I think I see what you mean, and I had it every time I had the flaming pumpkin on the headless horseman: even after the effect went off I had like 5s to wait so I could cast again. Even as resto.

Quote Originally Posted by Amana

Marath:
    I had the problem when I was on my old PC on XP. My computer was a good one, the one I have now is a huge beast. Though I play in windowed mode, but I don't think it's a real lag issue as I see every player and mob around me acting like normal when I can't cast.
    I had this when I was 70, I have it when I'm 80, with or without addons, on two different computers with two different installations of WoW.
    And yes, 65dB is insanely high. I've removed anything that could reduce the noise (in France old phone plugs have capacitors in it, etc).
    If you are sure its not your gear, I would start talking with your ISP, if you can see everyone moving around but your own actions are restricted then your download is fine but your upload is shot... see if they can fix that, from the way you described it, its almost as if you are recieving information from the server just fine, but the information you are trying to send out is getting stuck somewhere so your client shows the casting animation and the icon lights up, but it never recieves the signal back from the server to say you got the spell because the server didnt recieve your request and hasnt processed it yet.

especially seeing as your noise is really high... i would speak to the ISP and see if they can do something about the noise on your line... I would also look into stepping away from DSL and chasing down cable if they have it in your area

I can only tell you what they will ask you to do anyway to test your line... unplug everything from your phoneline, take the computer and modem down to the master socket in the house (the point where the phoneline comes into the house) plug the modem into that socket, then the computer directly into the modem, if that works... its something on your phoneline. if not then they will probably try and do something at the exchange

if that doesnt work... i dunno...

Sadly I can't get cable, we have a very weird neighbourhood with a local antenna...

And I can't put the modem down to the master socket as it's on the other side of the house, and computer are on other side (and I'm in between these, in my room, with 20 meters of cable).

My only hope is to move with my girlfriend in the next months and hope it will change something from there

Bumping this, any more clue ?

Are you using 64 bit ventrillo? Caused this problem for me... switched to 32 bit and everything went back to normal.

Using TS, 32 bits