My Hit has been Devoured :(

So I've been playing quite a lot today, and a few times I noticed something; my hit doesn't seem to be... working.

Before I start anything, let me say that I've currently got 318 hit (yes, I know it's too much).

Now a few times today I've missed spells. Devouring Plague, to be exact. I missed Zul'Jin when I was going Zul'Aman for the achievement. I missed one of Sartharion's drakes when going Sarth25 (still no trinket ). And a few other, completely random places.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've come to the conclusion that it must be a bug of sorts, as Devouring Plague is the only spell affected and it even happened in a 25-man raid with all the required hit debuffs.

Re: My Hit has been Devoured :(

i've also noticed similar things happening on my shaman. i am hit capped at 14% (with 3% more from elemental talents) yet i have seen on more than one occasion that the root from my earthbind totem will miss. the only possible explanation i could think of for this is that maybe the root procs based off of melee hit for shaman, but i can't prove/disprove this. if not, then i am in the same boat as you with random spells missing. most of the misses have been against level 80 mobs (i am 80 as well)

hit cap is 14% for you as a shadowpriest with misery unless i'm missing something big 318 hit isn't enough

consideirng melee hit cap is around 250 for 8%!!!!!!

checking wowwiki's info on spell hit

http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_hit

to be hit capped at 14% you need 367.25 so 368 hit raiting to have 14%

your not capped

check your char stats also check the % not the raiting number by mousing over

i'd check and tell you for sure but your in disc pvp gear

Edit: OOPS!!!!!! sorry forgot about your other talent that gives 3% hit didn't remember that lol so yea idk what the problem is

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    So I've been playing quite a lot today, and a few times I noticed something; my hit doesn't seem to be... working.

Before I start anything, let me say that I've currently got 318 hit (yes, I know it's too much).

Now a few times today I've missed spells. Devouring Plague, to be exact. I missed Zul'Jin when I was going Zul'Aman for the achievement. I missed one of Sartharion's drakes when going Sarth25 (still no trinket ). And a few other, completely random places.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've come to the conclusion that it must be a bug of sorts, as Devouring Plague is the only spell affected and it even happened in a 25-man raid with all the required hit debuffs.
    It could be a couple of things...

The first spell you cast isn't hit capped, you aren't hit capped until misery is applied.

Some bosses have resistances and what appears to be a miss is actually a full resist.

Quote Originally Posted by killarth
    hit cap is 14% for you as a shadowpriest with misery unless i'm missing something big 318 hit isn't enough

consideirng melee hit cap is around 250 for 8%!!!!!!

checking wowwiki's info on spell hit

http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_hit

to be hit capped at 14% you need 367.25 so 368 hit raiting to have 14%

your not capped

check your char stats also check the % not the raiting number by mousing over

i'd check and tell you for sure but your in disc pvp gear

Edit: OOPS!!!!!! sorry forgot about your other talent that gives 3% hit didn't remember that lol so yea idk what the problem is
    wrong wrong wrong, spriest has 2 + hit talents

As the poster above said, once you've hit 11% hit, you still have a 3% chance to miss a boss *IF* you have no debuffs on it. So your first shot has a chance to miss.

Also, the damage from Improved Devouring Plague doesn't seem to benefit from Misery. So it'll show as a Miss even though the spell may still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by joostgressie
    He's right until Misery or IFF is on the target.

Now if he's getting a Miss with those up on ?? level targets, then it's an issue.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

10+ Year Old Account

With the correct talents, you only really 'need' 11% hit, I don't know the exact number amount of rating. Shadow Focus covers 3% of it, and Misery covers the other 3 %, With due math, that means every 3 of 100 VT's you cast will miss. Your opener should be VT (after VE of course if its a boss), MAKE SURE IT HITS, if it doesnt recast it, then go on with your rotation.

Brain fart >.>

Quote Originally Posted by joostgressie

LEARN TO READ

check edit time so you know i put that edit in before you posted

Quote Originally Posted by killarth

LEARN TO READ

check edit time so you know i put that edit in before you posted
    Fair point but surely when you edited your post you would have removed the incorrect information instead of placing a disclaimer at the bottom it was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sersick
    With the correct talents, you only really 'need' 11% hit, I don't know the exact number amount of rating. Shadow Focus covers 3% of it, and Misery covers the other 3 %, With due math, that means every 3 of 100 VT's you cast will miss. Your opener should be VT (after VE of course if its a boss), MAKE SURE IT HITS, if it doesnt recast it, then go on with your rotation.
    Spellcasts don't work like that, if I cast 100 VT's all 100 could hit or all 100 could miss. Chance to hit is just a mathematical estimate of the probability of what has the potential to happen. This is why you see streaks when casting spells, and some nights you see a lot of crits, other nights you don't, even though nothing changed about your gear.

Each spell cast is individual from the next, chain casting does not increase your probability of a crit or hit, it is just more unique opportunities for it to do so.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

good evening ladies and gentleman, in this thread we have a shadow priest that doesn't know his class/spells/abilities and hasn't read through his talent spec, and is trying to start a drama. what will happen next?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sidonis
    Spellcasts don't work like that, if I cast 100 VT's all 100 could hit or all 100 could miss. Chance to hit is just a mathematical estimate of the probability of what has the potential to happen. This is why you see streaks when casting spells, and some nights you see a lot of crits, other nights you don't, even though nothing changed about your gear.

Each spell cast is individual from the next, chain casting does not increase your probability of a crit or hit, it is just more unique opportunities for it to do so.
    Good point >.> that is my brain fart of the day.

Just to explain slightly more in detail, all the targets had the Misery debuff and VT already on them (obviously, as I'm not a complete idiot). Furthermore, the entire DoT missed, not just the initial hit from Imp. Devouring Plague. Either way, I sent in a GM ticket to ask if it was a bug, should be an answer in the mail when I wake up tomorrow.

Well, there seems to be a bug with Devouring Plague, where the initial damage component of Improved Devouring Plague either is not taking Misery into account, or it is not working with Shadow Focus. It seems that the initial damage component is the only part that misses, from what I have seen. Usually I see "Resist" and the DoT has been applied, but the damage from the first hit has not.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

I have noticed this as well as another thing that causes dots to "miss". I go through parses of damage and from time to time I can still see misses on dot applications, this may or may not be because the 3% hit debuff isn't in effect however I know I haved missed reapplication of dots during the middle of an encounter when the debuff was most surely active.

As stated in this topic some bosses have resistances, this should not be the case, I remember back in Vanilla when I raided AQ40 you could get spell penetration on your gear, at the same time there was from what I remember a blue post confirming that mobs do not have resistances such as player nor has something that declines the probability of a spells hit rating on the target.

To the other issue I have noticed, sometimes when doing dailies I have had the issue of SW:P failing to stay on the target. I do the usual VT -> SW:P ... dot next mob, but what happens is that SW:P gets removed from the mob the same instant it gets applied.

This is registered in the same second:
    Target ++ SW:P
    Target -- SW:P

If the mob did dispel the debuff this would have been noted in the log but it isn't, no idea what this bug is.

http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19046

this happens since imoroved dp is in game

I am leveling a priest (shadow), so I have the 3% hit, plus the 1% Draineye racial (yea yea I'm ally lol). I have noticed on mobs anywhere from 2 levels below me to even level with me, I still miss spells. Could be a bug, not sure. Just find it odd to miss shadow spells on a mob 2 levels below me (holy spells would still have a 1% chance to miss).