Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Chaos Bolt cancels the Ardent Defender heal.

so i reported this on wow forums but thought you guys should know that i actually found why it wouldn't trigger the heal sometimes.

forum link:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...22254623&sid=1

and screenshots to show:
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/17207/ADfail1.JPG
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/17207/ADfail2.JPG

Re: Chaos Bolt cancels the Ardent Defender heal.

As I quit playing a few weeks ago but still peak around here I did not know this bug. But...

Could it possibly have been on cooldown? I know it probably hasn't, but you need to consider all possibilities, right?

EDIT: The post below is also a possibility.

Odds are its not a bug. Ardent defender gives you a shield which absorbs the damage of the spell then heals you. Chaos bolt goes through absorbtion affects
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

It is a bug, ive witnessed it myself.

Blizzard should have known about this as when AD was bugged on PTRs, Locks where the only thing that could kill a prot pala, becuase of this bug, so i dont know how it slipped the radar tbh

Unless they wanted chaos bolt to prevent the heal? that doesnt make sence becuase thats not the spells job.. Im guessing what happens is its stopping the absorbtion, and the absorbtion is the thing that triggers the heal.. and with no absorbtion there is nothing to trigger the heal.. looks like a bug to me

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Figoment
    Odds are its not a bug. Ardent defender gives you a shield which absorbs the damage of the spell then heals you. Chaos bolt goes through absorbtion affects
    This is the reason, had it happen a lot.

Ps. HUUUUUUGE bag

Chaos Bolt:
    Sends a bolt of chaotic fire at the enemy, dealing 1429 to 1813 Fire damage. Chaos Bolt cannot be resisted, and pierces through all absorption effects.

Ardent Defender:
    Effect #1 Apply Aura: School Absorb (Arcane, Fire, Frost, Holy, Nature, Physical, Shadow)
    Value: 20

Hmmmmmmm.

Chaos Bolt does go through the absorb part of AD (20% of damage when below 35% HP.) but the heal part of Ardent Defender is considered a Tanking Cooldown like Last Stand. i guess the real question is does Chaos bolt cancel the effect of Guardian Spirit on a priest?

and you can tell by my screenshots that i don't have the debuff of ardent defender which means it was not on cooldown

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore
    Chaos Bolt:
    Sends a bolt of chaotic fire at the enemy, dealing 1429 to 1813 Fire damage. Chaos Bolt cannot be resisted, and pierces through all absorption effects.

Ardent Defender:
    Effect #1 Apply Aura: School Absorb (Arcane, Fire, Frost, Holy, Nature, Physical, Shadow)
    Value: 20

Hmmmmmmm.

Just to clarify, i think OP knows this, but its the heal it prevents that seems to be the bug, not the pierce through absorbtion part.

Easy answer, Chaos bolt hits>AD Absorb procs>Chaos bolt dose dmg (this would normaly be absorbed)>Pally Dies>Heal Proc's

There I think that what you mean
    Remeber Kid‘s: As long as people have same delusion they are not crazy, they're are a „religion“.

Quote Originally Posted by Leios the Worstcase
    Easy answer, Chaos bolt hits>AD Absorb procs>Chaos bolt dose dmg (this would normaly be absorbed)>Pally Dies>Heal Proc's

There I think that what you mean
    pretty much but the heal never procs

what leios said basically, The shield is negated and you die before the heal has a chance to proc. Don't play a paladin myself but this seems like the only reasonable explanation. It's probably not so much a bug as it is a flaw in the mechanics that is either intended or unintended. If it's been around for a while and not been fixed its likely that it is intended to be this way. Just take care when you're around locks

It's not a Bug it's a Feature my Dear Pallys 8)

Wait I have a Tank Pala... Damed...
    Remeber Kid‘s: As long as people have same delusion they are not crazy, they're are a „religion“.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmster
    Ps. HUUUUUUGE bag

This makes since to me since CB goes through absorb effects AD heals you when it absorbs right? well CB does not get absorbed at all so no absorb no heal my friend. why is it that pallys can 3 shot other level 80's and or survive an onslaught of like 6 other players raining hell on them and still live, yet it doesn't seem to be enough. pallys are spoiled simple enough it seems to me. you would think youd be happy that you remain the blizz class of the year so bend over take it like a good pally and suck it up. so onne person can get a hit in on you OMG!! end of the world. have a nice day.

Lok'tar Ogar For The Horde!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzader
    It is a bug, ive witnessed it myself.

Blizzard should have known about this as when AD was bugged on PTRs, Locks where the only thing that could kill a prot pala, becuase of this bug, so i dont know how it slipped the radar tbh

Unless they wanted chaos bolt to prevent the heal? that doesnt make sence becuase thats not the spells job.. Im guessing what happens is its stopping the absorbtion, and the absorbtion is the thing that triggers the heal.. and with no absorbtion there is nothing to trigger the heal.. looks like a bug to me
    So when Locks are the only ones that CAN kill a Prot Pala, that's a BUG?

No.

AD absorbs, CB pierces absorbs. I suppose it's a bug that Chaos Bolt goes through Anti-Magic Shell and Zone too? Perhaps even priest shields?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    I'd ride for the sole fact that its a huge cock. It'd be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Redd911
    This makes since to me since CB goes through absorb effects AD heals you when it absorbs right? well CB does not get absorbed at all so no absorb no heal my friend. why is it that pallys can 3 shot other level 80's and or survive an onslaught of like 6 other players raining hell on them and still live, yet it doesn't seem to be enough. pallys are spoiled simple enough it seems to me. you would think youd be happy that you remain the blizz class of the year so bend over take it like a good pally and suck it up. so onne person can get a hit in on you OMG!! end of the world. have a nice day.
    Hello thar class of T6

TBH it seems to me that the ability is bugged, it never procs for me in Bg's or Arena's. =(
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

Chaos bolt hits > AD Absorb procs >Chaos bolt ignores absorb > Pally Dies >Heal procs
    Pretty sure it works like this. Pretty sure it is intended, too. Not a bug, just doesn't quite play out like you wish it would...

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    pretty much but the heal never procs
    /facepalm

The heal would proc, IF you weren't dead already. Ardent Defender stops you from dying via an absorption effect that absorbs the hit which would otherwise kill you, AND THEN it heals you. Chaos Bolt penetrates absorption effects. This means you're low on health. Get Chaos Bolted. Ardent Defender procs a shield, but chaos bolt hits you for full damage anyway, so you die. There is never any time for said heal to proc, since youre dead already.

Stop being retarded, the paladin should die but the ardent defender should still heal.