About the expertise cap

Alrighti just wanna set the record straight on how i should approach expertise at this point. Right now my rating is 14 and im at 3.5% or so. Now how important is it that i increase it at all? My dps in my raids is always top 5 and usually 3-2 on stationary fights, and i figure with a new weapon it'll stay that way. So should i really consider it? I figure if need be i can drop my righteouness glyph now that i use SoC. But maybe i'd be better off upgrading a piece of gear that has a lot of expertise, i saw a couple of t9 pieces i could upgrade to. TY

Re: About the expertise cap

Is it 14 without the Glyph of Seal of Vengence? So 24 with the glyph? If so Sub in 1 +20 Expertise gem and Bam you're at 26.

Hitting Expertise cap is extremley important. If Bosses are dodge/parrying you thats bad.

Do I give you Ret Dreams?
    "It's your $14.95 a month, but when you are in a raid, you are wasting our $358.80."

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Garrosh
    Is it 14 without the Glyph of Seal of Vengence? So 24 with the glyph? If so Sub in 1 +20 Expertise gem and Bam you're at 26.

Hitting Expertise cap is extremley important. If Bosses are dodge/parrying you thats bad.
    its not that important to gem for it
    at 19 sometime ago i would only get dodged once or twice per fight

and what is your race? Human/Dwarf get free expertise depending on the weapon type

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    its not that important to gem for it
    at 19 sometime ago i would only get dodged once or twice per fight

and what is your race? Human/Dwarf get free expertise depending on the weapon type
    are all ret moves are on the melee hit table? or are there a few that are spell based? If all are on the melee hit table, then exp is just as important as reaching the yellow hit cap. (as all of your moves can be dodged) If you are at the yellow hit cap, then exp will be the best stat for most quickly improving your damage.

Quote Originally Posted by FieldEffect
    are all ret moves are on the melee hit table? or are there a few that are spell based? If all are on the melee hit table, then exp is just as important as reaching the yellow hit cap. (as all of your moves can be dodged) If you are at the yellow hit cap, then exp will be the best stat for most quickly improving your damage.
    Only exorcism is on the spell hit table to my knowledge.

But expertise is very important for us. Get as close to the cap(26 with vengeance active) as you can with glyphs/gear...that's all you can do.

It's not important enough to gem/enchant for

Quote Originally Posted by BDF
    Only exorcism is on the spell hit table to my knowledge.

But expertise is very important for us. Get as close to the cap(26 with vengeance active) as you can with glyphs/gear...that's all you can do.

It's not important enough to gem/enchant for though.
    False. Yes I agree do not gem more than 2 +20 Expertise for it, but if you are a little short and need to drop 20 Strength for 20 Expertise, do it. It's stupid to think otherwise. The loss of 40-80 AP to never miss an attack is far better than havn an extras 40-80 that wont matter when you miss.

Do I give you Ret Dreams?
    "It's your $14.95 a month, but when you are in a raid, you are wasting our $358.80."

It's stupid to think otherwise. The loss of 40-80 AP to never miss an attack is far better than havn an extras 40-80 that wont matter when you miss.
    Gemming for expertise is still a waste because it's just about half as good as strength and thus wastes your gem slots.
    Missing an attack is bad but you'll still loose a lot MORE of overall dmg if you gem for expertise.

Expertise does not affect Judgements,Exorcism, Consecration, SoV ticks, which makes it a lot worse than hit.

If you get parried you're usually doing something wrong.(attacking a boss from the front).

False. Yes I agree do not gem more than 2 +20 Expertise for it, but if you are a little short and need to drop 20 Strength for 20 Expertise, do it. It's stupid to think otherwise. The loss of 40-80 AP to never miss an attack is far better than havn an extras 40-80 that wont matter when you miss.
    Gemming for expertise is a waste. A fraction of our damage is dodgeable once you consider judgement damage, RV ticks, SoV ticks, and consecration/exorcism expertise is highly undervalued. A bi of it from gear, enough to get you to 14-16 so the glyph caps you is plenty. Obtaining that level should be trivial and a lot of ulduar geared paladins are still trying to shave expertise off. Myself included.

Strength........186
    Hit Rating.......168 (34)
    Exp Rating......101 (0)

It's stupid to think that 20*101 is better than 20*186.

Think of the expertise gem as a band aid. It's not going to be there forever, and it's a temporary solution. If all it takes is one gem to fix your cap until you find yourself some alternate gear, then go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Gemming for expertise is still a waste because it's just about half as good as strength and thus wastes your gem slots.
    A dodged attack or two randomly in a fight doesn't make Expertise stronger than Strength to be sure, but there's always the risk that dodge might happen when you're trying to build up your SoV dot stack, which seems like it would be a much harsher DPS loss than ~20 strength.
    Parietis :: Retribution Paladin
    Størmglory :: Enhancement Shaman
    Caecius :: Arms Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Parietis
    A dodged attack or two randomly in a fight doesn't make Expertise stronger than Strength to be sure, but there's always the risk that dodge might happen when you're trying to build up your SoV dot stack, which seems like it would be a much harsher DPS loss than ~20 strength.
    You can't defeat RNG just by capping Expertise, yes you'll loose dmg if you miss within the first 5 hits, but the same applies if you don't crit once within a minute.

TL;DR who cares about a miss if you loose a lot more overall dmg by wasting a red/colorless gem slot for 20 Expertise.