Leather or plate?

I'm currently looking at getting one of the crafted (crusader orb) chests made, i was basically wondering whether i should get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47599 or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47589. Rawr tells me that the Knightbane chest is better for me, but after reading Wowhead comments i was unsure. I am in a 10man raiding guild (done ToC10 hardmode) so i don't have access to any 258 / most 245 gear. I realise that it depends on whether i'm at hit cap or not, but would appreciate any helpful feedback nonetheless. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post / there are other similar topics / these sorts of questions aren't answered here.

Re: Leather or plate?

First thing to do is to make sure that you have set up rawr correctly...mainly be sure that you have Heroic Presence check'd off for the %1 hit if you have a space goat in your group...that will effect the weighting of hit the hit rating alot.

And also make sure that when you are comparing the two chests that in both gear set-ups you are hit capped.

For example having the leather chest piece will allow you to drop hit rating elsewhere maybe allowing you to unbank some gear without hit on it to replace other pieces.

Also you might want to hold out for the leather chest that the twins drop in ToC 10 hard mode

Quote Originally Posted by Netherling
    I'm currently looking at getting one of the crafted (crusader orb) chests made, i was basically wondering whether i should get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47599 or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47589. Rawr tells me that the Knightbane chest is better for me, but after reading Wowhead comments i was unsure. I am in a 10man raiding guild (done ToC10 hardmode) so i don't have access to any 258 / most 245 gear. I realise that it depends on whether i'm at hit cap or not, but would appreciate any helpful feedback nonetheless. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post / there are other similar topics / these sorts of questions aren't answered here.
    The only leather pieces that are better than plate are Leather bracers off H Anub 25 man, and H Faction Champs 10 man. The rest you're fine with plate, though if you can get leather and its better go for it, nothing wrong with that.

Do I give you Ret Dreams?
    "It's your $14.95 a month, but when you are in a raid, you are wasting our $358.80."

From what i could see, the chest was enabling me to use the better parts in other slots (without hit). I wasn't enabling Heroic Presence just because i can't always be guaranteed to have it. After looking at Rawr some more, even with hit cap taken into account, it's still telling me that the leather chest is better and i was wondering what boots you would recommend, Sol Garrosh, as i can't seem to find any boots better than Acidmaw Boots (Icehowl 10hm) or Sentinel Scouting Greaves (Jaraxxus 10hm), which admittedly are mail.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by BDF
    First thing to do is to make sure that you have set up rawr correctly...mainly be sure that you have Heroic Presence check'd off for the %1 hit if you have a space goat in your group...that will effect the weighting of hit the hit rating alot.

And also make sure that when you are comparing the two chests that in both gear set-ups you are hit capped.

For example having the leather chest piece will allow you to drop hit rating elsewhere maybe allowing you to unbank some gear without hit on it to replace other pieces.

Also you might want to hold out for the leather chest that the twins drop in ToC 10 hard mode
    131 strenght (331ap) > 181 ap
    i dont think that hit is worth it :P
    and
    if you need Hit that much get the faction's champion chest http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47288 normal 25 or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47086 heroic 25

Edit : tried it in Rawr and over hit cap that leather chest come behind the level 232 tier 9 and the razor plate
    but come second if you need hit

15+ Year Old Account

I find it is simple to get hit. I would rather swap out a trinket to get hit capped than lose out on the benefits of the plate chest piece. Personally, I dont like to use non-plate, but if your guildies dont have a problem with you wearing leather, go for it.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

I really do wonder why so many paladins have an aversion to wearing leather...yes in almost all cases you lose attackpower.

But in the case of leather items that have both high amounts of agility and crit rating on the same piece, the net amount of crit rating you get from it is astounding, at the price of a small amount of attack power (due to having the stat AP instead of Strength itself).

Large amounts of crit chance + T9 2 piece = awesome flashing big numbers all the time

IMO

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by BDF
    I really do wonder why so many paladins have an aversion to wearing leather
    2 words : crying rogue
    and you dont want to hear that

mail, leather wont be usable after cataclysm patch and it could be earlier then you think

15+ Year Old Account

Yeah, my aversion to leather is mainly because I see no need to cause a rukus in my guild. If i didn't give a shit about my guildies and all I cared about was numbers, then I'd try to get it everytime I could. And in all actuality, I doubt it does THAT much more dps. It does more, but not enough to warrant all the stuff I mentioned previously.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

hit cap is amazingly easy to acheive in other slots. make the plate.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

The reason Leather Gear is superior, though not as much with ToC coming out is, We as paladins get no penalty in the Agi -> Crit ratio. Though most other classes do, therefore Leather pieces yield the highest crit at the loss of 20-100 AP, which isnt much if you're giving up 50 AP for 4% crit.

"It's your $14.95 a month, but when you are in a raid, you are wasting our $358.80."

Plate isn't always the best dps gear. Generally for pallies str is such a suprieor stat you take an item if it has a lot more str regardless of what else is on it. That being said some leather and mail has so many other stats that sometimes they actually are better dps. The rogues hunters and shamans won't like that you want "their gear," but to be honest its an upgrade to you just as much as it is them. The benefit of paying higher repairs bills and wearing plate, more gear to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiball
    Plate isn't always the best dps gear. Generally for pallies str is such a suprieor stat you take an item if it has a lot more str regardless of what else is on it. That being said some leather and mail has so many other stats that sometimes they actually are better dps. The rogues hunters and shamans won't like that you want "their gear," but to be honest its an upgrade to you just as much as it is them. The benefit of paying higher repairs bills and wearing plate, more gear to choose from.
    This ^

And also if you're in a good guild, explain to the rogues/Feral druids why you want a certain piece they wont mind. I can openly roll on leather. I mean, I'm not going to take 25 man H:ToGC gear over a rogue, but the 10 man Heroic they don't care and we both roll.

using rawr i have found that bis consists of 3 agi peices (chest, bracers and ring). but if i were to switch out the chest and bracers with 2 plates peices the dps difference is so minor that it won't even make a difference. i rather let the rogues get their leather tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira
    using rawr i have found that bis consists of 3 agi peices (chest, bracers and ring). but if i were to switch out the chest and bracers with 2 plates peices the dps difference is so minor that it won't even make a difference. i rather let the rogues get their leather tbh
    No, use the Heroic 10 man Faction Champion Gloves, and then the Heroic 25 man Anub'Arak Bracers. The rest of your gear (for the most part base don my research) is plate.

Just got me a pair of those wonder gloves from H ToC 10 faction champs.

they're awesome