Poll: Do you miss the raid (class)quest chains with epic rewards?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Does anyone miss the hard quest chains with great rewards?

I miss the BC attunements--I remember when my guild downed Mag (pre-cube nerf) and as soon as his body fell to the floor, a large group of us KNEW that we just got our Champion of the Naaru titles. Those were the days of exciting yelling over vent--it was a good feeling of camaraderie. When my husband and I got our Hand of A'dal titles (killing Kael and Vashj), we popped open a bottle of champagne because those two bosses were the guild destroyers in BC. The Hand of A'dal title is the only title I wear on that toon--just because when I look at it, it brings back so many memories of the Vashj coordination, the review of Kael's weapons before a pull, DPS orders, etc. It reminds me of the "you have the Core!" macro, the sporebats, and the guild trying to push Vashj through that last 500K health while dodging ooze.

It wasn't just downing the boss, it was having visual proof that you downed it. It meant you worked with a skilled group of people. It gave you some pride.

I got the Champion of the Frozen Wastes on my new main...I don't even display it. It didn't seem nearly as challenging of a title to get--the only challenge in it was finding a group to do Heroic Oculus and have them figure out how to ride a drake, get people to not stand in stuff in Naxx, and more drake riding on Maly. I guess it's because you could PuG pretty much all those fights and get the title. With the BC stuff, it was a guild achievement--you had to work as a solid team to get those titles, and maybe that's what it boils down to. BC promoted guild strengths to proceed in raids--Wrath is really just a FFA.

My .02 cents, YMMV.

TLDR: I miss the BC stuff, would love to see raid attunements again--I never got to see the class quests in Vanilla, but I would love to see more like them--maybe it would show people there's more to their class than AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Miri
    I miss the BC attunements--I remember when my guild downed Mag (pre-cube nerf) and as soon as his body fell to the floor, a large group of us KNEW that we just got our Champion of the Naaru titles. Those were the days of exciting yelling over vent--it was a good feeling of camaraderie. When my husband and I got our Hand of A'dal titles (killing Kael and Vashj), we popped open a bottle of champagne because those two bosses were the guild destroyers in BC.
    I'm sure you were happy but champagne is expensive to waste on a game .
    [/url]

Sorry long attunement quests fails hard. Especially with the amount of people coming and going these days.
    Trust me attunened people don't grow on trees and having to run attunement raids to get recruits atunned only to have them leave guild or quit wow sucks.
    Summer hits this game hard where huge amounts of people take breaks or go on hiatus. This summer 4 of the biggest guilds on my server crashed even though they were successful in raids. They just could'nt find people to raid u25. My guild only survived because we absorbed the people from the crashing guilds and got then got a lot better applications to the guild since we were suddenly the best alliance guild.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Martyris
    With cataclysm, you will see the whole word changing around you through facing by doing quests. I believe that to be intresting quests that take you into the RPG feeling.

However if you it is about the chains like the paladin lvl 20 weapon (though now nerfed a bit); that took you into four instances; then yes I do miss them.

Also chains like the one around scyte of elune, starting in Ashenvale, pushing you all the way through duskwood via ratchet and booty bay, are something I missed. Though blizzard already indicated that they wanted to get rid of these quests in which you had to travel around the world. I pity in my honest opinion, but hell what can I do about it?
    This is exactly what I missed. There were a handful of chains that you completed over the course of 10 levels. The quest that reveals the silithid immediately comes to mind. Or in the case of the Zul'Gurub chain, starting at level 43, spanning I think 4 zones (Tanaris, Feralas, SoS, EPL) and three dungeons (ZF, ST, either BRD or LBRS, I no longer remember), and finally to the Zul'Gurub raid itself at 60. Or who could forget The Stones that Bind Us? That whole chain itself took you half way through level 59 on it's own and had some of the more difficult elites outside of a dungeon.

Quest lines like that made the world seem huge. I find the quest hub system kinda blah. The introduction of flying mounts really takes away the epic feeling of a lot of the chains though. I don't know how fast anybody else levels, but the troll quest chain in Grizzly hills seemed totally epic on the DK I leveled after launch (no rest = no flying until Zul'Drak), whereas on the previous 5 characters (and now all of them) I took through there could fly by the time Dragonblight was finished. Being able to fly that zone just cheapens the feel of that chain.

I loved the priest epic staff quest. But then again, my guild had Kazzak on lockdown for over 1/2 a year on my server, and Eye of Shadows weren't a problem for me. Everybody that I know who played hunters loved the hunter epic quest. Or at least the feeling of accomplishment that came with completing it.

As far as attunements. I'm really not sure where I stand on that. The Onyxia one has some parts that were a complete pain. I suppose I like them, just as long as they're executed well. When the SSC and TK attunements first came out, you had to have some real skill to get in those places. Somewhat of a screener if you will. At least when a potential app to your guild completed them, you were more sure that he could play well.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmster
    To be honest, think the Karazhan attunement quest. How many people didn't get to go into Karazhan because they just couldn't complete the quest? None that I can think off.
    The AQ questchain, the Onyxia questchain, both enormous chains, but brilliant to do. The people who disagree most likely wanted their Epics right away and didn't want to do some quests.
    when i was playin wrath beta i rly like the "cold weather flyin" unlock quest and at the first moment i heard it got changed so u can "just" buy it, i was alil sad.
    However first you can still feel free to do this quest chain, it just doesnt reward you with flying and second and imo way more important: After lvling my alts i SOO like the fact that i can just go and buy the book instead of redoin all the stupid quest over and over and over and over again.

Same for attunment quest: Great quests and i wont argue against, but doin em on your alts or for new ppl (returners,newcomers) is a pain in the ass(I even hate to wait for ppl running thru ubrs when im goin bwl).
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I'm sure you were happy but champagne is expensive to waste on a game .
    I usually have 2-3 bottles at any given time in my wine fridge It's a standard part of a weekend party at my house--so opening a bottle at 11p on a work night isn't unusual for me

I enjoy the odd bottle of wine with the other half too ;D.
    [/url]

i actually miss the time when having epic actually was status.. you met a full blue geared player and he say'd " wow you have epic you are my hero" that time was awesome now it is " YOUR EPIC FREAKING SUCKS"

Adenspear

I have all greens and whites and I was in AWE of this dude in Dalaran the other day who had all blues.

Yeah, I miss them. Blizz say they don't want to force lore down people's throats, but when you play PvE in a FANTASY RPG you're pretty much asking for lore imo. If someone could make it through the 1-60 leveling grind without cancelling their sub, I'm pretty sure they're not going to QQ because they have to get attuned before they do their first raid.

Some old attunements were too long-winded... but others (i.e. Kara) weren't too bad at all. A few quests that involve running around and a couple of visits to 5-mans to progress the quest chain? I really don't see a problem.

Maybe they could just make attunements that match the current playstyle of the game:
    - Buy the key for a raid with heroic emblems.
    - Heirloom versions of the key for alts (or a key cutter in major cities that produces BoA keys if you have the original key).
    - Complete every 5-man in the xpac on heroic difficulty and get your key in the mail.
    - Mandatory rep grind that takes a few weeks of fun dailies that are relevant to the lore of the raid (like the Argent Tournament).

And maybe an old school progress barrier or too, like Onyxia Scale Cloaks. Just something to make the game more like... well, a game.

only if people can carry you through the chain quest, otherwise a few people will think they're wasting their time.
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

Quote Originally Posted by schyter
    i actually miss the time when having epic actually was status.. you met a full blue geared player and he say'd " wow you have epic you are my hero" that time was awesome now it is " YOUR EPIC FREAKING SUCKS"
    ilevel is the new Epic. Colour doesn't mean so much anymore.
    [/url]

The Ony quest chain was the best quest chain in game. I feel sorry for anyone that never got to do it. The AQ line was also pretty incredible.