Page 63 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillyputty View Post
    After playing Affliction for years I've switched to Demo since our raid lost our elemental shaman. I only did 17.5k damage on Ultraxion. I was wondering what I did wrong? My gear was the same except for the neck piece.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3...e/?s=522&e=823
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kielock/simple

Thanks
    It would appear that your pet was on passive for almost the entire fight. Also you were using the felguard, which is fine for starting a fight, but you should be using the felhunter anyways. Your immolate uptime was very subpar as it should not fall off at all via Hand of Gul'dan. Your incinerate damage is WAY too high. You have 3 procs of molten core, which implies that you should only have 9 incinerates casted the entire fight. You casted 58 incinerates which is really blowing my mind, so that's 49 incinerates that did crap damage and had a long cast time. Your spec is not the incinerate spec, and you shouldn't use that spec anyways. You should only use incinerate during molten core. Use shadowbolt as your filler instead of incinerate. You only cast Hand of Gul'dan 13 times, and in that 5 minute time frame you probably should have casted somewhere closer to 20 (technically it should be much more than that if you do it properly). That would help explain why your immolate fell off so many times, and why you had to recast it 6 times.

The gaps in the green bar are direct DPS losses from poor immolate uptime. Immolate is a pretty big chunk of your damage as demonology.
    The gaps in the second green bar are for shadowflame and reflect a dps loss because of the large gaps between them. In the middle of the fight it looked like you were using shadowflame on cooldown, which you should do, but at the beginning and end of the fight you were not. There's not much reason to slack there considering you're in melee range the entire fight and you don't have to move.

The biggest thing though is that you were using the wrong pet, and your pet, Veevazul, was only attacking for 67 seconds out of a 300 second fight.
    Last edited by blgdinger; 2011-12-15 at 08:35 AM.

Deleted
    Ok, this goes under the "I have no idea why i'm doing the dps i'm doing at the moment". So, first of all, here's the links:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...oblywop/simple
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0...?s=6839&e=7191

I chose the ultraxion fight since it's pure dps check, so there souldn't be any stuff other than hc will to lower dps. I play as an affliction lock, but i'm willing to change spec if there's a dominating spec atm.
    I'll tell you that i try to keep my haunt up at all time, aswell as trying to have 3 stacks of shadows embrace on my target before drain souling during execute phase.

What i'm thinking is the problem here is my gems. as i you can see, by hovering over my gear, i almost gemmed pure int+haste. i know i might've done wrong there, but i couldn't find a balance between brilliant and reckless gems...

If anyone could take a look at my rotation (if that's possible with the link i've given), and guide me on the right path with gems and maybe a bit of reforging (if there's a problem there).

Thank you in advance

Thank you for the input. Everything you said makes sense but one part. I thought Incinirate was the filler spell?

Also about the pet I did summon the fel hunter, but I guess it bugged out. I will watch that next time.

Thank you for the input. Everything you said makes sense but one part. I thought Incinirate was the filler spell?

Also about the pet I did summon the fel hunter, but I guess it bugged out. I will watch that next time.
    Incinerate will never be your filler spell. Incinerate has a slightly less cast time than shadowbolt but hits for much less. When Molten Core procs it gains an 18% damage bonus and is cast 30% faster, which results in a dps increase since you will save cast time and it hits for a little more than shadowbolt would.

The only time you would use incinerate as a filler is with the incinerate spam spec, which is a dps loss until very high levels of gear.

Hey, I'm a affliction warlock, basically full 378 gear and I'm only doing like 8-10k DPS, sometimes 12-14, but rarely.

DPS for boss:

Rotation: CoE, Haunt, UA, BoA or BoD, Corruption then shadow bolt while waiting for DoTs.

Other people are doing like 16-20k dps is 378 gear.
    Im hit capped to 17%, rest is haste.

Stats:

Quote Originally Posted by blgdinger View Post
    Incinerate will never be your filler spell. Incinerate has a slightly less cast time than shadowbolt but hits for much less. When Molten Core procs it gains an 18% damage bonus and is cast 30% faster, which results in a dps increase since you will save cast time and it hits for a little more than shadowbolt would.

The only time you would use incinerate as a filler is with the incinerate spam spec, which is a dps loss until very high levels of gear.
    My shadow bolts take 2.67 seconds to cast now. Is that still the filler spell? Should I up my haste a bit?

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 03:19 AM ----------

What is your armory link?

My shadow bolts take 2.67 seconds to cast now. Is that still the filler spell? Should I up my haste a bit?

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 03:19 AM ----------

What is your armory link?
    You need 3 points in bane. At most it will be 2.5 seconds.

Blgdinger, I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to using WoL (which is probably only scraping the surface), but I saw your picture above and didn't know you could sort like that. Could you tell me how you got WoL to show dot uptime on the green bar like that? Thank you!

For single-target, Incinerate is indeed the filler for Demo. You don't put points in Bane; you put them in Improved Corruption or whatever:

http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t110366-...m_4_3_release/
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Legion View Post
    Blgdinger, I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to using WoL (which is probably only scraping the surface), but I saw your picture above and didn't know you could sort like that. Could you tell me how you got WoL to show dot uptime on the green bar like that? Thank you!
    Go to WoL, click your name, click on the tab that says Buffs Gained or Buffs Cast, click on the #.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slya View Post
    Hey, I'm a affliction warlock, basically full 378 gear and I'm only doing like 8-10k DPS, sometimes 12-14, but rarely.

DPS for boss: Image

Rotation: CoE, Haunt, UA, BoA or BoD, Corruption then shadow bolt while waiting for DoTs.

Other people are doing like 16-20k dps is 378 gear.
    Im hit capped to 17%, rest is haste.

Stats: Image
    The optimal opener begins with Shadowbolt > CoE > Haunt > etc. Otherwise your first set of dots will not have the applied Shadow and Flame Debuff. But this won't account for that much of a dps different, just a tip. (Some may say CoE first, but seeing how SB has a travel time before it hits, CoE will be applied first still, and you can start casting before a pull)

What kind of fight is that recount image from? Boss fight? Target dummy? Trash mob? In general, affliction can be pretty low for a real quickly dying trash mob seeing how they'd die before dots went a full duration, and target dummies have a lot of rng.

Can we get an armory link for gear/talent check? I can't tell much beyond this information, other than that I feel your crit change is much higher than it should be at that level. I'm ilvl 391 with only a 17% crit chance (having to reforge to it) and about the same mastery.
    Last edited by gracfuldeath; 2011-12-17 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    For single-target, Incinerate is indeed the filler for Demo. You don't put points in Bane; you put them in Improved Corruption or whatever:

http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t110366-...m_4_3_release/
    no no no no no.... this is not true. The incinerate spec is only valid on 1 single fight and that is Ultraxion. Even then you shouldn't just go that spec because it isn't always a dps increase. The sims on EJ are with full best in slot gear, and at that point sure, it's a 200-some dps increase. Outside of that while you're at much much lower gear levels and replacing pieces bit by bit the only way to tell if the incinerate spec is a dps increase is to run your character through simcraft.

The thing about EJ is the nerds there posting are trying to squeeze out the extra 2 dps from a BiS gear setup, something that most of those people will never have. What they don't understand is the differences in haste and mastery greatly affect how the incinerate spec works. In order for that spec to be an actual dps increase you need to have a considerably larger amount of mastery than haste. With that in mind, the dps increase it gives is debatable as to whether or not it's even worth it. Check these numbers which I got from creating a regular reforged set and a more mastery oriented reforge from my own character:

shadowbolt demo
    # gear_haste_rating=2015
    # gear_mastery_rating=2055
    45,516 dps
    scale factors
    2.8211 mastery
    1.8806 haste

incinerate demo
    # gear_haste_rating=2015
    # gear_mastery_rating=2055
    45,499 dps
    scale factors
    2.7940 mastery
    2.0589 haste

shadowbolt demo
    # gear_haste_rating=1590
    # gear_mastery_rating=2388
    45,469 dps
    scale factors
    2.7213 mastery
    2.4769 haste

incinerate demo
    # gear_haste_rating=1590
    # gear_mastery_rating=2388
    45,611 dps
    scale factors
    2.7492 mastery
    2.1490 haste

So from being reforged normally and using shadowbolt as a filler to reforging for mastery and using incinerate as a filler I would potentially gain a whopping 95dps. This is only for 1 fight because the spec is not viable on any other fight. Initially the incinerate spec was a 20 dps loss, then a 50 dps gain, and now a 95 dps gain. The thing is, is it worth it? Should I spend the gold reforging, respecing, and reglyphing for 1 fight (which we have heroic Ultraxion on farm anyways)? Keep in mind that on Ultraxion you lose multiple GCD's throughout the fight due to fading light and hour of twilight, and since most players lag a bit on that fight the value of haste becomes less and less, and you lose dps.

This is why I conclude that no, it is not logical to simply go the incinerate spec just because it's simmed at higher dps. We didn't do the math at first for our own chars when we were progressing on heroic Ultraxion, but now that we're beating the timer by a very considerable amount there's no point in going that spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks blgdinger, I have always thought in the back of my mind what you just said.
    Quote Originally Posted by "blgdinger
    The thing about EJ is the nerds there posting are trying to squeeze out the extra 2 dps from a BiS gear setup, something that those people will never have.
    Although since they posted that information, I had blindly followed it without bothering to see the dps gains actually being that small. Thanks for giving me a quick smack to the back of the head ^^

Hello, I would like to improve upon my DPS by any means I can afford, I have parses from the first 4 fights in normal Dragon Soul and my armory. If you guys need any other info lemme know

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...yze/dd/source/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...akile/advanced

Thanks in advance!

Armory^

Quote Originally Posted by gracfuldeath View Post
    Thanks blgdinger, I have always thought in the back of my mind what you just said.

Although since they posted that information, I had blindly followed it without bothering to see the dps gains actually being that small. Thanks for giving me a quick smack to the back of the head ^^
    The information on EJ is plentiful and there's definitely some smart people there giving input. It's a great community but 99% of warlocks who read it don't understand that what they say is for 1 set of gear, and that set isn't the 378 loot from End Time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakile View Post
    Hello, I would like to improve upon my DPS by any means I can afford, I have parses from the first 4 fights in normal Dragon Soul and my armory. If you guys need any other info lemme know

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...yze/dd/source/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...akile/advanced

Thanks in advance!
    Few simple changes I see of the getgo would be using the higher enchants, such as Peerless stats to chest (gaining +20 stats vs your +15 stats), mighty int to bracers (+50 int), and greater mastery to gloves.

You can certainly get in more Shadowflames while in melee range, for Yor, Warlord, and Hagara. Depending on how you run Morchok, you can fit in some there too.

It's easier to tell dot uptime for the first three, but I can see that one large gap of not having BoD up on all three bosses, with several smaller gaps. From these three fights, you're averaging about a 70ish% uptime on BoD, something that can definitely be approved. On Morchok, I find mine falling off as he pulls everyone in, but it can be recasted while running away if you remember to do so. As for Yor when you run away to attack an ooze, it may fall off, but it should be put right back up as soon as possible.

With Warlord being a single target fight, immolate should almost never fall off with Hand of Gul'dan refreshing it, or at worst running in and casting fel flame (assuming nothing else needs to be casted), and same for corruption. But you only have about a 90% uptime on both of those, which leads room for some improvement there.

I'll keep looking through at stat specifics, but the main improvements can be made by improving your dot uptime as ShadowFlaming wherever possible. Seems to be more of a matter of ironing out the kinks. And I believe you would want the Glyph of Corruption rather than Incineration.

EDIT: Something else to consider, based on your reasoning for Aura of Foreboding talents, is talenting into Master Summoner. By seeing pet damage from your felhunter but using Demon Soul:Felgaurd that you're hardcasting into one of them. This talent would reduce that cast time by 1s (with 2/2) and decreasing mana cost. It's a difference, but not always that much. Mainly depends on the reasoning for using Aura of Foreboding. Not a huge thing, more of my personal preference thing.
    EDIT2: Also, since I was able to find your felhunter damage, I am unable to find your felguard damage, but be sure to use his felstorm as well and let that run out before switching back to the felhunter. (You may be doing this already and I just can't navigate to it in the logs, stumbled upon your felhunter by accident in the first place)
    Last edited by gracfuldeath; 2011-12-17 at 10:02 AM.

Deleted
    Need abit of help, im sticking with affliction as i love the playstyle. But i seriously seem to be slacking, Im hitting 19k max in Heroics and am wondering if i can make any improvements on my gear, i know my haste is fairly low how can i improve this? First post btw so cant post the link to armory, sorry if haven't explained much. Thanks!

Dyredxos - Outland EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyredxos View Post
    Need abit of help, im sticking with affliction as i love the playstyle. But i seriously seem to be slacking, Im hitting 19k max in Heroics and am wondering if i can make any improvements on my gear, i know my haste is fairly low how can i improve this? First post btw so cant post the link to armory, sorry if haven't explained much. Thanks!

Dyredxos - Outland EU
    Is this you?

If so, like I said earlier. Enchant enchant enchant. You're missing 7 enchants and a belt buckle. Enchanting your gear alone could easily add several thousand dps at least. If you're unsure what enchants, check out here.

Do you have any other trinkets to use? Which ones? The Darkmoon Card: Volcano is better than the Foul Gift of the Demon Lord.

For your belt, if you're not going to match the blue socket color, you should put a pure int gem in it instead of a different color (you have an orange), and for you helm it should be a red int gem. Always match red sockets.

Beyond that I can't give you much without any idea of your rotation, dot uptime, etc without you telling us or a posting a parse/log.

Deleted
    Hello ive just started to play some Destruction with my Warlock and have a few questions.
    Atm im at 26.14% haste selfbuffed with DI(2877 haste rating) and in raids im 32.5%.. So is this like "to much"? Should i go with the soft cap and then start buffing some other stats? Crit/Mastery? if so what should i take? Then this with trinkets. Intellect from what ive read is the best stats. Should i change my Bottled Wishes for the one from the new random heroic ones?

My char can be found on EU server vek'nilash called Sao!

/Sao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sao View Post
    Hello ive just started to play some Destruction with my Warlock and have a few questions.
    Atm im at 26.14% haste selfbuffed with DI(2877 haste rating) and in raids im 32.5%.. So is this like "to much"? Should i go with the soft cap and then start buffing some other stats? Crit/Mastery? if so what should i take? Then this with trinkets. Intellect from what ive read is the best stats. Should i change my Bottled Wishes for the one from the new random heroic ones?

My char can be found on EU server vek'nilash called Sao!

/Sao
    Going purely from thoughts and just the face value of numbers, the haste cap for you is a rating of 2681, plus DI and Spell Haste. So, you are above that cap. Whether to drop that extra ~200 haste into crit or mastery, I'm not sure without simming it (unable to do so atm) so I can't tell you straight off the bat. What I can tell you is that if you were to start buffing a different stack, the solution would not be simply changing trinkets based on their passive stat (the int you're talking about). You do have to look at what the trinket actually does, which can be the kicker to whether to use it or not. While the BiS trinket list in this forum shows Foul Gift of the Demon Lord as a higher trinket than your BW for destro (pretty sure that's also the trinket you're thinking of switching to), keep in mind that you'd still be losing 458 haste from BW, dropping you below that haste rating, and putting haste back at a top priority.

I'll try to get a more direct answer later, or hopefully someone else can sooner, but I merely wanted to point out that trinkets matter more than just the passive stat, and when you swap out a trinket you also lose something (like the haste on BW) Also remember lists that rank trinkets rank the proc only, not their passive stat which the effect it has is gear dependent.
    Last edited by gracfuldeath; 2011-12-18 at 12:29 AM.