Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted

Re: The "Fix My DPS" Thread (Read first post before posting)

Quote Originally Posted by DreamOfTheRood
    I use affliction for when I need to farm shards. If that's what's up on the armory now, it's only because I logged out after sharding. I know there are some people who swear by affliction for raiding. I'm not one of them.
    Just drain from dummies/duel?

I'm running around 3.5k in ToC25, which is far less than I should be doing.

The problem I've got is fairly self-evident. Every time I get an upgrade with +crit or +haste, it's got more +hit than the item I'm replacing. I'm way over the hit cap, and nowhere near where I want to be for crit or haste. Eventually, that should even out a bit, but that requires winning rolls on items that I need. Just takes time.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...d&n=Trithemius
    Alright, Here goes.

First, drop suppression. its effectively wasting 3 talentpoints in your current gear. put those points into Demonic Aegis. DA is damn near mandatory.

Next. Drop Fel domination. With 2/2 Fel Synergy, if your pet is dying you aren't casting spells. That simple. Incinerate crits for 8-9k in your gear. Thats ~1200 health to your pet every 2 seconds, more than enough to keep it alive.

Next. Drop Demonic Embrace. "oh noes, i like my extra liefs." Stop. you have naturally higher stam as a Warlock anyway, and you're going to move those points to ...wait for it... Soul leech. Because it's good? No. Because it opens up improved soul leech, which is good. replenishment is useful(and it gives your imp mana, which is important. if your imp goes oom, you loose ~500 DPS). You're going to put one point in. Usually you would but both in, but 1 point gets you a 50% chance per spell and you like shadowfury, which, yes, is occasonally useful.

Next, throw away the Elemental Focus stone. Again, with your gear, you are essentially wasting a trinket slot. You seem to not have the time to properly farm badges so go grab the haste trink from reg ToC.

Put a Chaotic Skyflare Diamond in your helm. Gem your Shoes with a Spellpower/Spirit gem.
    Get an Eternal Belt Buckle. Put another Spellpower/Spirit gem in it.
    PUT PURE SPELLPOWER IN EVERY OTHER GEM SLOT. PERIOD.
    Put +28 Spellpower on your gloves.
    Put Icewalker on your Boots.
    Put at least +8, if not +10 stats on your chest.

Your PRIORITY LIST should be Lifetap, CoE/CoD, Immolate, Conflag, CB, Incinerate.

I know you said that you like conflag, inc inc inc, but if you want to win at the recount game you will go Conflag cb inc inc. not that it will ever happen like that again after the first set. It's a priority list, not a rotation. Rotations are dead. dead dead dead. "Stand in the fire its made of cotton candy" dead.

And that's a start.

TL;DR: Put more effort into it. If you want higher DPS spec like EJ tells you to instead of trying to be a unique butterfly.

Edit: I just noticed you aren't even glyphed for your third spot. Please don't come to this thread asking for me to spend my time spelling out what you're doing wrong if you aren't going to put half of an effort into it. FYI, your third spot should be Glyph of Incinerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Modez
    I cannot comment much on Affliction. I played it four years ago and always hated it.
    Used to like it a lot, but I'm destro now.

There are several mods out there for destro. One destro lock in our guild swears by an addon called EasyDestro, which basically analyzes what is coming off of cooldown or has a timer running out on your target. It doesn't cast the next spell for you, but tells you what you should cast.
    Im running ForteXorcist, which gives me nice popups whenever CB or Conflagrate are off cooldown. Knowing when to cast what is not the problem as far as I'm concerned, but please let me know if I've missed something in the combatlogs (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/C...um/damageDone/). Like I said, the other locks just seem to get more Incinerates in, but 20%-30% more Incinerates strikes me as a lot. I can hardly imagine such a percentage being just skill, unless I'm a worse player than I thought.

Onyx (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+of+Hellscream)

Quote Originally Posted by rfarris
    (This is relevant to this thread in the sense that in certain situations my destro dps sucks. I don't want to start an entire thread over this.)

What does a destro warlock do in fights where fire spells are resisted? A very common environment is just before the second boss in House of Lightning where the flame mobs are immune to flame spells. Other raid mobs are the same way, but I'm at work and I can't think of any right now.

What do you use if you can't use fire spells? I've tried Chaos Bolt and Shadow Bolt, which both work, but are on long CDs and/or have long cast times. What "rotation" would you use in such a situation?
    COE + Shadow Bolt

Quote Originally Posted by QQLess
    Please don't come to this thread asking for me to spend my time spelling out what you're doing wrong if you aren't going to put half of an effort into it.
    Oh you little precious snowflake. Nobody asked you to come into this thread, because, at a grand total of 36 posts, nobody knows you from a hole in the wall. Don't come prancing around like you're the best thing since sliced bread if nobody knows who you are.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

15+ Year Old Account

(This is relevant to this thread in the sense that in certain situations my destro dps sucks. I don't want to start an entire thread over this.)

What does a destro warlock do in fights where fire spells are resisted? A very common environment is just before the second boss in House of Lightning where the flame mobs are immune to flame spells. Other raid mobs are the same way, but I'm at work and I can't think of any right now.

What do you use if you can't use fire spells? I've tried Chaos Bolt and Shadow Bolt, which both work, but are on long CDs and/or have long cast times. What "rotation" would you use in such a situation?
    Nothing. As Zuxia said, COE + Corruption + Shadow Bolt spam. You can't be expected to do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dmrazor
    Knowing when to cast what is not the problem as far as I'm concerned, but please let me know if I've missed something in the combatlogs (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/C...um/damageDone/). Like I said, the other locks just seem to get more Incinerates in, but 20%-30% more Incinerates strikes me as a lot. I can hardly imagine such a percentage being just skill, unless I'm a worse player than I thought.
    You're right, 20-30% more is a lot. A few things that the logs can't tell me, so I'll say them anyways:
    -Corruption _only_ while moving
    -Agony _only_ when the boss dies soon AND will tick fully. I recommend the addon TimeToDie for a timer.

I looked at your logs, and the thing that stands out to me is not entirely gear (but does make up a good portion of it - you need a lot more spell power than crit.) It seems that you should work on movement and positioning. Your warlock buddies are consistently "Lucky" with RNG procs - they don't get hit as much, they cast more spells.

So here's how to fix your dps. Think 5 seconds ahead. You've got the spells down, you know what to cast and how to cast them. Learn the environment. Your Twins kill was pretty bad, and that could be because of strategy, but you can personally do much better. Spending 2 extra seconds getting a better position so that you don't have to move later is much better than finding something "Good enough" only to move sooner.

I can't help you much more than the advice already given. It's all you this time. If you ever die in a fight, watch how other people move in relation to the environment and each other.

Edit: To put it in perspective, I have extremely similar gear and do about 1000 more dps than you on those fights. My problem is low spell power and maximizing dps time. I think its yours as well. Could be latency or FPS though, if you happen to reply, post those numbers.

R.I.P. YARG

Oh you little precious snowflake. Nobody asked you to come into this thread, because, at a grand total of 36 posts, nobody knows you from a hole in the wall. Don't come prancing around like you're the best thing since sliced bread if nobody knows who you are.
    Hey, Snowflake. Postcount is a great way of measuring.... Lolwut? If I cared at all I could top your post count in 20 minutes. But I don't, because I could not care less about E-fame on a website that I come to primarily for Boubs awesome leaks.

Simple truth? I know the class slightly better than you, and you know the class slightly worse than you think.

I said it. Now go make the changes I suggested because whether or not I sport a fancy hero member title, and whether you like me or not, the changes I suggested will boost your DPS by another 1000, easy.

When I first hit 80 (about a month ago) I died a lot. Help I got here fixed that problem. But now my gear has gotten good enough that I'm starting to top the damage charts in 10-mans and I'm pulling agro. I run the standard 0/13/58 build.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Echo+Isles&cn=Farloc&gn=BLOOD+n+GUTS

I'd like to move a second point into Destructive Reach to help with the threat problem. What can I move without gimping my dps?

(I realize I'm over hit. I have some other gear - T8.5 hat, for instance - that I wear if a hit buff is available.)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by QQLess
    I said it. Now go make the changes I suggested because whether or not I sport a fancy hero member title, and whether you like me or not, the changes I suggested will boost your DPS by another 1000, easy.
    It's true.

And the person in question made most of the changes. The remaining ones won't make a dent in his dps difference.

When I first hit 80 (about a month ago) I died a lot. Help I got here fixed that problem. But now my gear has gotten good enough that I'm starting to top the damage charts in 10-mans and I'm pulling agro. I run the standard 0/13/58 build.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Echo+Isles&cn=Farloc&gn=BLOOD+n+GUTS

I'd like to move a second point into Destructive Reach to help with the threat problem. What can I move without gimping my dps?

(I realize I'm over hit. I have some other gear - T8.5 hat, for instance - that I wear if a hit buff is available.)
    Swap one point from Backlash. Its about a 40 dps loss, but it's the most consistently low dps loss.

Run with better geared tanks. That's about it. Or wait 5 seconds before dpsing, and use your soul shatter at 120%+ threat.

R.I.P. YARG

Hey guys, im not sure what is going on with my dps. I previously was able to do ~5k dps on the target dummy with a gearscore of 2200, now im only doing 4.2k with CoE as the only debuff. However as asked i didn't put it up for the following attempt: http://myimgs.net/images/nszv.jpg

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...unemaul&n=noyu

Any tips would be great

Also of note, my guild is small so we mainly do only 10man raids and i am the only lock, so i rarely get to use CoD, which is why i didn't use it in this test.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    So here's how to fix your dps. Think 5 seconds ahead. You've got the spells down, you know what to cast and how to cast them. Learn the environment. Your Twins kill was pretty bad, and that could be because of strategy, but you can personally do much better. Spending 2 extra seconds getting a better position so that you don't have to move later is much better than finding something "Good enough" only to move sooner.

I can't help you much more than the advice already given. It's all you this time.
    Hmm... thought as much really. But indeed, it's mostly the movement that's screwing me over. Got less problems on static fights. Gotta figure out how to move less, or more efficiently. That Twins fight was indeed abismally bad, tactics were changes right before that attempt which confused me plus I was out of range a couple of times and running around too much to catch orbs.

Latency is about 125-175 ms, so not to bad. FPS is good, usually around 80 in 25 mans.

Onyx.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Noyu
    Hey guys, im not sure what is going on with my dps. I previously was able to do ~5k dps on the target dummy with a gearscore of 2200, now im only doing 4.2k with CoE as the only debuff. However as asked i didn't put it up for the following attempt: http://myimgs.net/images/nszv.jpg

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...unemaul&n=noyu

Any tips would be great

Also of note, my guild is small so we mainly do only 10man raids and i am the only lock, so i rarely get to use CoD, which is why i didn't use it in this test.
    This is perfect. Thanks.

4200 / 1.13 = 3719 dps without COE.
    344394 Total damage done.

344394 / 3719 = 92.6 Seconds, which lines up pretty damn good against Conflag and Chaos Bolt cooldowns.

Was your pet attacking? Empowered Imp counts for 10% of your damage, so if he was on passive then you would have gained 450 dps. This does not include the 350 dps he would have done on his own, boosting your number to 4500 unbuffed.

This is near perfect from what I can tell. Even your expected damage per spell is about right. I'm guessing that the last time you hit 5k on a target dummy there was a buff you didnt see. That or something major has changed since last time. Have you lost 4pc T8? What's your latency?

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Hmm... thought as much really. But indeed, it's mostly the movement that's screwing me over. Got less problems on static fights. Gotta figure out how to move less, or more efficiently. That Twins fight was indeed abismally bad, tactics were changes right before that attempt which confused me plus I was out of range a couple of times and running around too much to catch orbs.

Latency is about 125-175 ms, so not to bad. FPS is good, usually around 80 in 25 mans.

Onyx.

Then running around is what you need to improve on. Here is the best I can do for movement intensive fights:

On twins, orbs are not your goal. The buff is pretty cool but remember that you do 50% more damage anyways. The point of the orbs is to make you work as a team so that 6 dark orbs don't suddenly converge on a bunch of light players and kill them all. This is even more important in heroic, where 3 orbs kills you and anyone near you. You should be getting orbs as a defensive mechanism so that your peers don't have to dodge. Otherwise, stand still and blow them the hell up

On faction champs you can really do a lot of damage. Keep a portal up and make sure Health Bars are enabled (Press V). If you see a health bar that is not a hunter, hunter pet or warlock pet, run and spam corruption on things. When you stop moving, blow stuff up. Teleport when the rogue shadow steps to you or a giant bladestorming warrior gets too close. Death Coil if Teleport is on cooldown. I don't care what your GM says, CC is your way of telling the npc's "HEY KILL ME IM A SQUISHIE WARLOCK! YOU LOOK LIKE YOU NEED A REMINDER! HOWL OF TERROR"

Also, keep in mind that all classes except Warlocks, Elemental Shamans, and Balance Druids have burst damage on a short cooldown(1.5 - 6s). If the mob is at 200-400k or less, and you have something else to kill, switch early. They will finish it off before your cast + travel time reaches the target, or soon enough after.

R.I.P. YARG

This is perfect. Thanks.

4200 / 1.13 = 3719 dps without COE.
    344394 Total damage done.

344394 / 3719 = 92.6 Seconds, which lines up pretty damn good against Conflag and Chaos Bolt cooldowns.

Was your pet attacking? Empowered Imp counts for 10% of your damage, so if he was on passive then you would have gained 450 dps. This does not include the 350 dps he would have done on his own, boosting your number to 4500 unbuffed.

This is near perfect from what I can tell. Even your expected damage per spell is about right. I'm guessing that the last time you hit 5k on a target dummy there was a buff you didnt see. That or something major has changed since last time. Have you lost 4pc T8? What's your latency?
    That was including my imp and my recount only showed 3700 dps (set to include pet dmg with main0. I currently only have 2pc T8 bonus, and may have lost my T7 2pc bonus since the 5k tho. I run vsync 59.9 fps and about 200-230 latency

15+ Year Old Account

That latency is a bit high.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=65499.0

Dropped me from a consistent 250 to 80. My dps went up by 300.

R.I.P. YARG

That latency is a bit high.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=65499.0

Dropped me from a consistent 250 to 80. My dps went up by 300.
    Thanks man, dropped me to 60ms and it increased my dps ~300 as well.

ok, i'm at wits end trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong. my gear is good, mostly 245, with 5 pieces 232 or under, and i am just not performing like a lock should. i know i am over hit cap, i just picked up a new MH that had hit, so i'll have to rebalance when i can replace out something else.

gear:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...aeden&n=Dazmar

wmo from toc 25, and togc 25 last night:

http://www.wowmeteronline.com//combat/log/1055636

i'm not worried about the faction champs fight, as i'm mostly fearing non stop, and have little time to dps, and the twins i'm running around soaking orbs most of the fights, so i expect to be on the low side (especially togc), the rest i should be doing a lot more

i'm running CoD/CoE > immo > CB > conflag > inc until conflag/cb is up or immo is falling. i drop a corruption when i'm moving. only using lifetap to refresh the glyph buff.

running 180-240ms latency normally

i'm the only raiding lock in the guild, so i dont really have anyone to bounce ideas off of, so i'm hoping someone can help out. also hoping i'm just missing something stupid that i'm not seeing

edit: going to try the suggestions on the latency issues posted previously. another thing it might be is an fps issue, i have a tendancy to take dives below 10 fps at times. not having any luck fixing that, might just reformat/reinstall windows this weekend to try to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by vsop
    ok, i'm at wits end trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong. my gear is good, mostly 245, with 5 pieces 232 or under, and i am just not performing like a lock should. i know i am over hit cap, i just picked up a new MH that had hit, so i'll have to rebalance when i can replace out something else.

gear:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...aeden&n=Dazmar

wmo from toc 25, and togc 25 last night:

http://www.wowmeteronline.com//combat/log/1055636

i'm not worried about the faction champs fight, as i'm mostly fearing non stop, and have little time to dps, and the twins i'm running around soaking orbs most of the fights, so i expect to be on the low side (especially togc), the rest i should be doing a lot more

i'm running CoD/CoE > immo > CB > conflag > inc until conflag/cb is up or immo is falling. i drop a corruption when i'm moving. only using lifetap to refresh the glyph buff.

running 180-240ms latency normally

i'm the only raiding lock in the guild, so i dont really have anyone to bounce ideas off of, so i'm hoping someone can help out. also hoping i'm just missing something stupid that i'm not seeing

edit: going to try the suggestions on the latency issues posted previously. another thing it might be is an fps issue, i have a tendancy to take dives below 10 fps at times. not having any luck fixing that, might just reformat/reinstall windows this weekend to try to fix.
    You could adjust you video settings and see if that helps your fps. Also closing background programs can help your fps.

As far as gear goes...Bejeweled wizard bracers are better than the 232 version of felspark bracers...that is a common error since Felspark 245 or 258 is best in slot -- don't remember exact item level.

I don't use glyph of lifetap...never have. You could try swapping out some items that have hit for those with more haste, sp, or crit.

The other thing I do at the beginning rotation....COD, Immo, Corrup (there is no loss here since you have to wait to conflag), conflag, CB, incen

15+ Year Old Account

10fps is whats killing you. Turn everything down.
    -Make sure Multisampling is set to 24x 24x 1x
    -Turn off Shadows

What Video card do you have? How much RAM does your pc have?

Also, update your video drivers (Nvidia 174.74 or so caused "Windowed Mode" to run at 60% capacity). This sometimes fixes problems as WoW upgrades things but the old drivers don't work as advertised. Blizzard then complains, and the video card company jumps and asks "How high?" mid air.

WoW is driving 20% of their mid-grade card sales. They listen :P

R.I.P. YARG

I did my best, but obviously I can't upload images from work. I can type in the data from the recount from 10-man XT fight, though:

Ability Name, Count, Damage, %
    Incinerate, 78, 685881, 45.5%
    Conflagrate, 26, 279776, 18.6%
    Chaos Bolt, 19, 201473, 13.4%
    Immolate (DoT), 106, 166383, 11.0%
    Immolate, 28, 90225, 6.0%
    Curse of Doom (DoT), 5, 73430, 4.9%
    Currse of Agony (DoT), 12, 9659, 0.6%
    Aftermath, 26, 0, 0.0%

Incinerate
    Type, Min, Avg, Max, Count, %
    Hit, 3949, 6120, 11627, 49, 62.8%
    Crit, 7354, 13311, 27248, 29, 37.2%

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Isles&n=Farloc

I got light-bombed twice (maybe three times) and had to switch to adds twice. The heart came down three times.

Thank you.