10+ Year Old Account

Cookie-cutter disc spec w MF?

The subject line pretty much says it all. Not a very versed PvP player, hardly play arena at all, enjoy world PvP and the occational battleground (can't wait for cataclysm). On topic; has anyone of you more experienced arena junkies played around with a disc spec putting points in the shadow tree to get MF.

Seeing as one of the strengths of the disc healer in PvP is the damage output adding another nuke and at that one which may help you stay away from all that pesky melee playing ass-grab. Or is the trade-off too big and the added utility too weak?

Re: Cookie-cutter disc spec w MF?

Pvp without penance = fail, try it flash heal is the biggest POS alive, the only reason we can heal is cause penance is so good, thats why its gets its CD increased every patch

Quote Originally Posted by Berdine
    Pvp without penance = fail, try it flash heal is the biggest POS alive, the only reason we can heal is cause penance is so good, thats why its gets its CD increased every patch
    You can get Penance and MF, you just have to give up Meditation/Desperate Prayer, both of which can be lifesavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou
    You can get Penance and MF, you just have to give up Meditation/Desperate Prayer, both of which can be lifesavers.
    really? my bad havent looked at the shadow in like 3 years haha, i spose the other reason then is priests get tunneled most games so the cast chance on it is very unlikely, also meditation only makes our shit regen slightly less shit, ie its vital

Just for reference point, you have to give up penance to get silence if that's what youre after.

I've tried a disc spec with mind flay in arena. The nuke from mind flay is absolutely rubbish, however, without the lower-in-the-tree shadow points. It's only useful for slowing people down (for example, I use it on fleeing resto druids, however they tend to just shapeshift out of it).

I wouldn't recommend using this spec.

There were priests specced into mind flay in tbc, since then nobody could get close to a shapeshifting druid, so the priests were helping their partner cathicn the druid.
    Nowadays you shouldn't spec into that with muti rogues getting poisons instantly, and druids not having a single damn reason to stay out of your partner's range.

You would lose too much from the Disc/Holy tree to be viable if you tried to get MF imo.

Desperate Prayer is amazingly good for Arena, and I would hate to do any PvP without Healing Focus. It would take 10 seconds for a Flash Heal to get through all the damage.

If you want to put out more DPS to help your partner, then put the points in Diving Fury to lower the cast time of Smite. Then just Smite/Holy Fire their ass to oblivion.

I am Priest - Play Free Online Games

10+ Year Old Account

My thought was keeping the disc-tree more or less intact, perhaps dropping a point in rapture and one in mental agility or something along those lines? Which would let you keep Healing focus but sacrificing the points put into holy and shifting them into the shadow for MF. But from what i've gathered so far the trade off wouldn't be worth it.

I've just started using a 40 holy 31 shadow spec.
    It's much fun.

I'm a low rated scrub, so I can get away with it. If I can get to 1800 I'll be perfectly satisfied.

If you're looking for extra damage try 54/17/0. I messed around with 58/2/11 in 2s a while back, but the only real advantage is if you're interrupted on Mind Flay you can still heal, while Smite locks you out of healing. 54/17/0 out-damages deep Disc MF builds and is more bursty. Mind Flay was useful against 2s against Hunters just to keep my Rogue on them, but all it really did is shorten games slightly, it wasn't like we lost to Hunter teams to begin with.