Poll: Is this gearscore crap ruining the gaming world that was wow?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...

Re: Gearscore ruining the game

LOL@all the little crybabies complaining that they can't leech off Tard Chat PUGs because they're undergeared...

PUG leaders get inundated with tells from bad players and gearscore(as well as achievements) is the main means of weeding out the undesirables. The most common excuse used by Bads is 'oh but this is my alt! My main has fully cleared X and has 4part Teir X'

If you are a good player despite being undergeared, JOIN A GUILD or make friends with people by running VoA, Ony and dailes. Unfortunately this requires actual social skills, which the average 'casual' (ie: bad player using being 'casual' as an excuse) invariably lacks,
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

I voted 'no' 'cause I've yet to meet a single person who has even mentioned gear scores in game.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulPoetry
    anyone who still puts faith in gearscore obviously doesn't realise how easy gearing up is.
    considering gearing up is easy... someone who doesnt take the time to gear up their toon then just looks even worse then they realy are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I'm going to hell, and you're all coming with me.

If your getting kicked cause your gear score is too low, then do something about it. Gear is easy as hell to come by now. Go farm some gold, get together 12 crusader orbs (which are cheap as hell now) and get 245 chest and 245 bracers. Buy some Runed Orbs which are retardedly cheap now and get the belt and boots made (both are 226). Go run Toc on regular and heroic everyday and with that loot and gear from badges you'll have the same gear score as someone whos been running Ulduar. It's not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmustard
    If your getting kicked cause your gear score is too low, then do something about it. Gear is easy as hell to come by now. Go farm some gold, get together 12 crusader orbs (which are cheap as hell now) and get 245 chest and 245 bracers. Buy some Runed Orbs which are retardedly cheap now and get the belt and boots made (both are 226). Go run Toc on regular and heroic everyday and with that loot and gear from badges you'll have the same gear score as someone whos been running Ulduar. It's not hard.

Sir, you are asking 'casuals' to actually put in thought and effort into playing the game instead of having free epics handed to them for doing nothing.

Evil Elitists like you make Baby Jeebus cry.
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

For what it's worth, as a holy paladin at my level of raiding, there are several items that are best in slot which are lower ilvl than what I could use. A paladin could be beating me on gearscore yet be riddled with spirit and hit rating gear.

People who use gearscore = retards.

The heroism libram and the +int trinket from toc being prime examples of lower ilvl stuff that's better than the higher ilvl.

15+ Year Old Account

I am on the middle of the fence. I don't use it personally. I might check out myself sometimes on WoWHeroes to see how mine looks in comparison to other people. When I'm building groups, especially a heroic or a Naxx, I don't pay attention.

HOWEVER, I have seen the advantage if you are going into higher raids. If you're, say, going to pug an Ony25 (which I did with my alt DK yesterday), it helps not to have 20 people that will only do 2k dps because they dinged 80 10 minutes ago. We did gearchecks for our group to everyone not in guild. I was probably the worst geared, with my full epics and one green ring. I was 8th in DPS, and we 2-shot the boss.

I can see upside, but only in moderation. People gearscoring for Naxx and stupid ezmode stuff are only doing it for two reasons. They want all the loot, or they want to be carried through. It's like achievement checks, show me how many times you've had someone screaming for an achievement link and they've never once even done the instance.

It's a double-edged sword that can be good in the hands of the right wielder, that's my opinion.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

In truth, Gearscore doesn't mean jack shit. While getting my pally's tanking set, I shit my pants and found myself with a 4k gearscore. Gear is so easy to get nowadays that it doesn't mean shit until you're pushing a 5k+ gearscore.
    We are the internet we dont care about you. We just want to poke you with a pointy stick
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    Furthermore to hate gearscore for 'denying you access to raids' is like hating your credit score for denying you access to a loan.

Never seen it mentioned, even though I am in one of the top end guilds of the realm.
    I was using the JC crafted ring for a while, even though I had some Ulduar 25 alternatives, only because I was desperate for crit and hit would be wasted.

If you are grabbing someone you dont know into a group, you cant view their "awesomeness rating." You let people on guild alt runs in on their undergeared alts cause you know the players. My philosophy is "have sick gear or know the fights (have a way to prove it) if you can provide both, even better". If you were to whisper me and say "my gear isnt great on this character, but my main is XXXXXXX" and I check your armory and you have done the fights (or have completed achievements that somewhat prove you arent an idiot) then we're all good. Still, even then, this isnt a skill check as people get carried. Personally, for my runs we do gear check. Not because we want to be carried. Because I've done my share of wiping on progression content and dont want to wipe on stupid farm content because its new to you (i dont mind wiping once or twice, but spending an hour on northrend beasts? -_-)

if you are in a guild that can do ulduar in only naxx quality gear or worse, chances are, you cleared ulduar a long time ago. You really cant require people to have an average ilvl higher than what the dungeon drops, unless its a pure badge run where you are going to power clear naxx in an hour and shard every last piece of gear. But what about the guys that NEED the naxx gear? What runs do they get into? Well, they dont get to go on power clears, cause frankly, that defeats the purpose. If you are setting up an elite run for speed that accepts no noobs, then yes, you better have the gear yourself.

Everyone is saying how easy it is to have great gear these days. and thats true. So if you dont have the great gear, that means youve put even less that "barely any" effort into your character and you probably did just hit 80 10 minutes ago. TBH, some people can hit 3-4K dps in bad gear. But MOST cant. If you have as much sick skill as you promise, you should at least have some gear.
    and as a side note: why do I have boomkins in green of the monkey gear whispering me asking why I wont let him into my ToC10 run. Viewing people's armory can help you see how much they understand the game. if i found a rogue with str gems with gearscore over 6K, i wouldnt let him come as he probalby was carried through the game. Armory also shows talents, and Im not taking any 71/0/0 holy pallies with me anymore either. Seeing gear choices (viewing armory yourself) seems a lot more helpful than checking gearscores

tl;dr - people argue skill over gear, but you cant gauge skill of someone you dont know, someone with skill probably has gear, which you can gauge