Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Petition - Unholy Tanking - BRING BACK UNHOLY BLIGHT AOE

I was talking with a guildie today because I was interested to get back into tanking. He said that blood was good for raiding, but bad for 5 mans due to lack of aoe. He said frost was better for aoe/5 mans, but ended up as OTs because of the lower health pool.
    I loved tanking as unholy. It was good for aoe, and had a fair size health pool. But after Blizzard changed Unholy Blight to deal with death coil, they eliminated a big influnce of my tanking.
    Post your opinions, and if you are a successful death knight tank, please post your spec and rotation. Thanks
    Kiyoshi - 80 Death Knight on Anvilmar
    Azas - 80 Hunter on Anvilmar
    Sagess - 46 Druid on Anvilmar

Re: Petition - Unholy Tanking - BRING BACK UNHOLY BLIGHT AOE

*crickets chirping*

Kiyoshi - 80 Death Knight on Anvilmar
    Azas - 80 Hunter on Anvilmar
    Sagess - 46 Druid on Anvilmar

learn to drop death n decay every time its on off CD? as unholy if u glyph for death n decay put up n spread all ur diseases blood boil n just keep refreshing dnd i dont see any other tank in the world taking more aoe aggro than u

looks like your guildie doesn't know too well about dk tanks...

unholy is king @ aoe, even without the old UB. As Harmful said: use dnd, spread and BB.

what makes blood so good at raid tankting isn't the bigger hp... 3% more stam doesnt make that much of a difference. what makes it good is the selfhealing, an insanely good defensive cd, a very good dmg cd for burst threat or to give to a rouge/warry and high single target threat
    (frost just doesn't cut it on single targets).

while blood has the lowest aoe of all three specs, it is still by far enough for heroics or even aoe tanking in raids. again: dnd, spread, BB (or HS cleave).
    just look at it that way: if a warry can aoe tank some mobs, a blood dk can do it even better.
    ...just another dream within a dream...

Hey, i'm blood dk tank, and for what i've been testing, this is the better spec to tank anything due to cooldowns.
    Never got a single problem in AOEing, just D&D -> Icy Touch -> Plague Strike -> Pestilence and you should be fine.

Frost Dk is good for AOE tanking but you will get threat problems in tanking single targets.

Unholy i don't like it, bone shield isn't that good imo, but unholy still have good AOE with wandering plague ( procs times enuff ), D&D ( main aoe attack for DK's ), and BB.

Hope it helps.

SOO I HERD TITLEZ IN CAPZ N PETITIONZ R FAIL AMIRITE?
    Headcrab Simptoms:
    # Strange feeling to force Gordon Freeman, who appears to be a fish to the victim, to eat crackers.
    # Itching at groin.
    # Yellowing of the blood
    # Red, dry, or missing eyes.
    # Numbness around the cranial region
    # A severe case of dandruff
    # Hair loss
    # Skin loss
    # Head Loss
    # Death
    # Loss of bodily functions

are u asking for unholy doing more aoe? our dots get buffed 15% after the Unholy Blight change.
    Unholy aoe its great, frost burst aoe its great, blood aoe its ok. DKs dosnt need more aoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.

we just need better single-target threat =)

Really, to be honest.

Look at warriors, 2 dps specs and one tank spec.

Look at DK, all dps or tank specs.. i believe thats where they went wrong, they should of stopped it so its more warrior-like in that style, so you don't get different issues depending on what spec you are as a tank.

People who say "blood dk is beter than frost because of the higher healthpool" are really stupid and should go back to tbc

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Exclusive
    People who say "blood dk is beter than frost because of the higher healthpool" are really stupid and should go back to tbc
    Blood is better then frost because:
    +10% more healing received at all times
    +Hysteria = Huuuuuuuuuuuge buff for melee classes during Heroism/Bloodlust (especially those who DW)
    +Death strikes = selfhealing (FTW?)
    +Rune trap = selfhealing (FTW AGAIN?)
    +Will of the Necropolis (unmatched by ANY dk tanking talent)
    +Vampiric Blood (practically makes 1 Healing Wave enough to heal you full)
    +easy-ass rotation with NO RNG elements (RNG can be really good.... or really bad in some cases)
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator
    Blood is better then frost because:
    +10% more healing received at all times
    +Hysteria = Huuuuuuuuuuuge buff for melee classes during Heroism/Bloodlust (especially those who DW)
    +Death strikes = selfhealing (FTW?)
    +Rune trap = selfhealing (FTW AGAIN?)
    +Will of the Necropolis (unmatched by ANY dk tanking talent)
    +Vampiric Blood (practically makes 1 Healing Wave enough to heal you full)
    +easy-ass rotation with NO RNG elements (RNG can be really good.... or really bad in some cases)
    Wait, wait, wait, are you seriously suggesting they're supposed to tank in Blood Presence? Either that or you don't understand the talent you're talking about. Self-heals are pretty much meaningless, considering that if a boss is killing you, it's happening too fast for them to matter, except in certain circumstances. The other perks - Vampiric Blood being a godmode button, excellent single-target threat, Will of the Necropolis and Hysteria to throw on someone - are great, but Frost isn't junk compared to Blood.

10+ Year Old Account

Blood's self healing is not to be dissed: my death strikes heal between 3.5-9k, and DS is a major part of the rotation (and one can squeeze an extra DS in, replacing a HS, if the self healing would be more useful than the threat). Those self heals also grant the DK threat, which is a nice side effect.

It won't save you, correct, but about 6% of my healing taken during a ToC25 Heroic is from myself, which ain't too bad considering I'm a tank.

And what people often underestimate: Hysteria can be a godsend for tanking, on threat intensive fights, where the boss doesn't hit too hard. I usually pop it on myself on Jaraxxus and Twins, so the DPSers can go wild, and can pop it later on DPS during hero/bloodlust.

That aside, blood is mightily boring to play.

PETITION:::
    GIVE US SHAMANS BACK OUR AXES!
    THE ROGUES STOLE TEHM!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltrollo View Post
    [/COLOR]

DKs are fine. we just had it a bit too easy a while.

still very a very nice tank no matter what spec u wanna use.
    however 1 of the 3 is better then the others.
    To play those millions of minds,to watch them slowly respond to an unseen stimulus to guide theyr aspiration without theyr knowledge-all this whether in high capacities or in humble,is a big and endless game of chess of ever extraordinary excitement
    -sydney west-

rofl...u don't need to be in blood pres to get healed. U can also choose points for imp blood pres if you want more healing.

Blood has no issues with aoe threat at all and has the strongest single target threat. Tanking 25 ony i was pulling 7ktps on the boss, then on whelps with people doing 10kdps i was still doing 5.5kdps AOE. Disease, spread, Boil spam. D&D on CD.

Unholy doesn't have the CD's, bone armor is poor and once its gone your left with nothing. Frost has better passive mitigation and blood, but blood has more OH CRAP buttons. Unholy is great for dps...anyone who hasn't tried DW unholy should give it a go...but for tanking. Blood and Frost are far better.

That said any of the 3 tree's can aoe tank effectively given the person knows how to play the class.

To be honest,
    I've been tanking as frost, unholy and blood. When I look at the threat I generate with my Blood build, it's madness. There's not even a problem about aggro or AoE. Just use heartstrike and tab everytime. You still generate a lot of aggro. When you are loading up an aoe pack of more than three, then throwing down an DND and BB is doing miracles.

I seriously do not get it why a properly geared tank with a blood 2H build can't generate enough threat. It might sound cruel but if you can not realize the ways of generating aoe aggro, or think "hey lets read up on it because I have no clue and need to know to improve my tanking", then you seriously should be shot through the gnads.

Note that I do not say that I am that pro but I do believe that you'd check your class out when playing, especially at high end raidlevel. Heroics, who cares much. The mobs hit like shit and don't pose much problems.

Fyi,
    I usually run either as Blood DK or as Frost.
    Unholy is boring as hell in my opinion. =)

I agree with the OP, not because I think that unholy needs more AoE, but because the old UB was really unique. Of the tank classes, it was the only sustained mobile form of AoE threat. Swipe/BB/T-clap etc aren't sustained like UB was, and concecrate and D&D aren't mobile. It was really a unique aoe threat generator, and was my favorite part about Unholy tanking.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Pre blight change i used to tank with a blood hybrid build that went down to blight. It was pimp.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    rofl...u don't need to be in blood pres to get healed. U can also choose points for imp blood pres if you want more healing.
    imp blood presence only give's you the blood presence healing... you only get 10% extra healing when YOU ARE on blood presence..

Blood Presence: Strengthens the Death Knight with the presence of blood, increasing damage by 15% and healing the Death Knight by 4% of damage dealt. Only one Presence may be active at a time.

Imp Blood Presence: While in Frost Presence or Unholy Presence, you retain 4% healing from Blood Presence, and healing done to you is increased by 10% in Blood Presence.