Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Fixing Vanish - the right way, or the easy way?

Iv said for years to my m8s blizz should add a 0.5 - 1sec immune to vanish so it dont break, Tho it isent always the other players fault, i think half the time its the own rogues fault, you vanish and spam your cheapshot key, for me its 5, and 5 is also my main move spell to, mutilate, hemo, sinister bla bla.. if you vanish and spam your cheapshot key to fast i feel it uses the main attack before you vanish, dealing dmg and breaking vanish, i have hardly have any problems with vanish atm :/ somtimes... a DK sneezes and breaks my stealth or a hunter farts and it breaks tho... vs melee it works ok :P

Hell, i remember when vanish could be broken if someone had you targeted and was spamming an attack, the combat pulses knocked you back out of stealth.

1 Sec immunity is just enough to get the vanish off while not letting a rogue negate a long line of incoming damage.

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria
    mainpage.
    finally... after... 5 years?
    Ah - when I posted, they'd stated that they had *a* fix but not what it was. It sounds like they took the 'easy' way... meh. The problem with it is that it stops rogues from being legitimately destealthed by AoE after a vanish, which is a slight buff over and above the fix. For instance, if a rogue vanishes near a warrior, the warrior used to be able to piercing howl immediately to destealth the rogue. It was an element of skill on the warrior's part that could change the course of the fight. Now, the rogue has a second longer to get out of range. Still, since my PvP main is a rogue, I guess I shouldn't complain...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    @OP: The problem with your suggestion is you're campaigning to have the very most basic level of the game changed. Do you realise the kind of work, testing and debugging that has to go in to something like that? It's not as easy a fix as you claim.
    No, actually it wouldn't. All it would require is storing one easily available piece of additional info for spells currently in flight or being processed, and adding a single check to the "applying damage now, so destealth player if stealthed" code. I know exactly the kind of work, testing and debugging required - I worked as a developer on a commercial MMO.
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan

i'll be very upset if the art of vanishing death coils, blinds, etc is ruined because of this. If we stay stealthed but still take the damage/effect there goes a major reactionary part of rogue i love =(

Quote Originally Posted by wannaspoon
    i'll be very upset if the art of vanishing death coils, blinds, etc is ruined because of this. If we stay stealthed but still take the damage/effect there goes a major reactionary part of rogue i love =(
    I'd happily accept not being able to "vanish" incoming blinds if it meant I'd never hit vanish at the same time as being blinded, and due to server lag or my own latency, end up blinded, destealthed and with vanish on cooldown.
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan

Irrelevant, almost everything is vanishable already (from bosshits after the damage was already displayed, to any spell, to things like blind and melee attacks, all the way down to falling damage), so it isn't gonna be a difference from that perspective
    the difference is gonna be, that vanish won't randomly fail

oh and btw: vanishing things in arena rarely makes sense, because the chance of breaking is too high.
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralisk
    No, actually it wouldn't. All it would require is storing one easily available piece of additional info for spells currently in flight or being processed, and adding a single check to the "applying damage now, so destealth player if stealthed" code. I know exactly the kind of work, testing and debugging required - I worked as a developer on a commercial MMO.
    I think your idea of the nature of the vanish bug is wrong. It's rather this way:
    When player vanishes, any spell in flight are deflected as you suggest. This allows a rogue to vanish when being under fire. The problem is, that being vanished doesn't imply being undetected - enemy with good enough combination of level advantage, proximity and orientation can detect you and can cast at you. This is probably computed by the client ( otherwise, it would lag unbelievably ). So in example scenario the enemy's client doesn't know you vanished yet, so enemy has you targeted and casts a spell. The server then knows that the spell has a timestamp newer than vanish but thinks that the enemy managed to see you anyway. The server doesn't verify that enemy can see you due to lag.
    To solve this, the spell event could indicate that it was casted at detected stealthed target, but that would probably introduce new and more complicated side effects. Or it is the actual case - replace "not knowing about vanish yet" with "knowing about vanish but not knowing it made you undetected yet" :]

TLDR: You might be wrong. ( No offense. )

I want them to fix the gimped stealth you get after sap'ing someone, and the overkill bug.

The op has a close or near close fix for the vanish bug.
    The problem occurs because there are 3 clocks ticking by 1 timing with a latency of xxx in between. This means that pvp has a higher margin for error as there are 2 host latency counts to negate rather than 1 with pve.
    So the immunity thing shouldn't be .5 seconds, but something like immunity to any attacks existing between cycle x(being the mash of the vanish button timestamp )-latency TO y(being timestamp of completion of vanish being cast)+latency of highest person engaged in combat with the person vanishing.
    This means any spells not calculated due to finite amounts of lag will be negated by timestamp value even if it lands late because of said lag.

They have this in many other games, its actually not that hard to write into a system.
    The problem is systems of this sort can by cheated with aftermarket programs that catch packets and augment data in them to simulate earlier time data than when they were actually sent.
    It'd be like catching a bullet mid-air and writing "I fired this 10 seconds ago" on it, even though it just left the gun.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralisk
    This is true. I actually vanished Icehowl's massive crash ability in ToC the other day... though more by luck than perfect timing,
    no.
    in pve as long as you have the vanish buff *10 second one, you can sit in stealth and it won't hit you.
    for example mimiron's shock blast, as it casts, if u vanish, wait 3 seconds, have 7 left on the buff, it goes, you will take no dmg
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)