DMC:Greatness ... or not?

This post isn't an argument against the value of DMC:Greatness by any means...by all accounts it's still one of the BiS trinkets for our class.

The reason for the post is whether or not I should equip it...

Right now I could sell the card itself for 4.5-5k on my server. I know that's not exactly a lot of money to everyone...but to me it's a good chunk.

With 3.3 in the works we can anticipate its release sometime before Christmas, or at the latest shortly thereafter. With new content comes new gear, and new recipes. I'm a JC'er so the chances are high they will release epic JC'ing trinkets with 3.3 (epic gems are in...seems logical to assume epic trinkets will be next). The JC'ing trinket will most likely not compare to DMC:Greatness...but it may be borderline enough to justify not using DMC:Greatness.

My main question is this:

1) Should I sell the card and hang on to the gold until 3.3 is released in case something equal or better drops or is crafted in 3.3? (Giving me cash to buy mats if necessary to get the new hotness that much quicker)

2) Should I keep the card in case nothing drops and/or is crafted that is better? (soon as loot lists are formal I could equip it and be gtg)

3) Or should I just equip it and enjoy it till 3.3? (lose out on re-couping money spent and/or being able to buy mats immediately *depending on price, I realize I've got a few months to save up :P*)

Anyway, just wondering what the community thinks...armory is in my sig...sig is out of date but armory should be pretty current.

Re: DMC:Greatness ... or not?

Sell it and if you really regret it or it's still BiS by 3.3 buy it back again for the same or less.

Deleted

Personally id equip it and use it, tho depends what trinkets you have that will be replaced by it tbh. When i got mine back in march i was thinking the same thing as ulduar was just around the corner, but went with it anyways and didnt look back.

Its still one of the best trinkets right now, its proc stacks with all other str procs like virulence/T9 2 set/deaths verdict etc.

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that you have to maximize yourself in the moment. You can't plan your character around things that "might" happen. This burned me bad in Vanilla raiding as I wouldn't take weapons as I wanted to have the DKP to get the first version of Ash'kandi or Bonereaver's Edge that dropped for me guild. For months we never saw either drop and my mentality of "But in X amount of time, I could get someone so much better (maybe!)!" ended up gimping me for a long time.

If you have the BiS for you now, use it. Don't get wrapped up in what might be coming around the corner, because you have no way of knowing if it will come or, if it does, you will be able to acquire it. BiS now isn't going to be garbage tomorrow. It's still going to be strong, and you'll get some good use out of it in the meantime.

tldr; Don't hamstring your character's progression on "maybe". Use the tools available to you.

upgrade now > upgrade later.

use it unless you dont do anything beyond VoA pug raids

10+ Year Old Account

Depends on your other trinkets in my opinion. If DMC is a huge upgrade use it. If the difference isn't that big, sell it.
    Vol'jin fanboy

My trinkets atm are Pyrite Infuser (for the hit and proc is nice) and the JC Boar with 2x 16str gems and 84ap on equip...

Obviously the DMC would replace the boar. ATM the boar gives me 148 atk pow unbuffed and a right click that is mostly forgotten about.

DMC:G would give me 180atk pow unbuffed and the killer proc.

So on paper it's only a 50ish (after buffs) atk pow upgrade and the proc, which weighs more heavily on the decision than the raw AP gained. Disregarding the proc, it's not a huge upgrade...without the proc I could just go do a few WG's and get the 190AP trinket and come out even closer to the raw AP gain the card offers.

That's why I am having such a tough time deciding. It's 5k gold spent for a proc...not stats...just a proc, damn good one mind you...but still a proc.

I understand what others have mentioned about upgrading for the now and not thinking about later...but this is a little different in that I can personally control the upgrade, i.e. I am not passing on an upgrade hoping something else comes along later in the run. I have the upgrade...but is it worth more equipped or sold?

Without knowing the loot lists of IC yet it's hard to decide...but I just know that I would be really disappointed to equip the card this Sunday when the faire comes to town...and then three weeks later I open MMO and on the Front Page is:

Trinket of Gyx Wasted Gold

Equip: 100str
    CoH: Increase X,Y,Z by 350
    (effect does not stack with DMC:Greatness)

That's what I am afraid of the most. Like I said above I highly doubt the JC trinket will beat it if they get added this patch or not. Some of you may say that Blizz wouldn't put the above hypothetical trinket in because it would ruin the value of Scribes most profitable recipe's...but ups for every crafted item are already out there and fairly easy to obtain...except for DMC:Greatness which requires some time in raids to get it's true stat for stat upgrade:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47464

Which worries me they may put an easier to obtain item in for the card...

Ah well, I'll probably just equip it and chalk it up as a loss if they do put in a up for it...I made the 5k to buy it, I'll make another 5k with or without the card I'm sure.

If you can put an hand on the trinket from ToC 25, sell Greatness. Otherwise, equip it.

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

Well as of this morning (Fri. Oct. 2nd) it seems we will start seeing Icecrown loot lists sooner than I thought. Fortunately for me I have to wait until the faire gets here this sunday before I can get the equippable version of the card...and within the next 1-2 weeks I'll have hard proof of whether or not I should equip it or try to sell it back for even money (hopefully the buyer won't be as astute on upcoming changes :P)

Thanks for the input guys and GL out there

Equip Greatness and Death's Verdict, its simple Greatness is still BiS and even if they do come out with a better trinket there is no reason to gimp yourself on something that your most likely going to either need to get out of Icecrown to make it, or wait for your raid to have it drop.

Yes your equiping a proc, but if it procs as much as Death's Verdict does then your going to be stacking the two 90% of their uptime.

5k gold = 1-2 days AH farming

if youre really asking if u should use it, the aswer its YES.
    but looks like u want to someone told you "no, save the gold"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.