Paladin Question

So I know this guy on vent, that whenever we offend him his first response is to say "well your terrible at WoW, your characters are bad, you stack stam on a pally tank you fail" and so forth with any other 80s we might have be it a rogue that is strictly PvE so he says hes bad at PvP. Anyway I wanted to ask about my paladin and stam stacking. Here is my armory link -
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rms&n=Heirloom

So I would just like to get some things straight by asking the community
    1) Is my character stacking stamina and 2) Is stacking stamina even bad on a paladin?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Paladin Question

Quote Originally Posted by Felz
    So I know this guy on vent, that whenever we offend him his first response is to say "well your terrible at WoW, your characters are bad, you stack stam on a pally tank you fail" and so forth with any other 80s we might have be it a rogue that is strictly PvE so he says hes bad at PvP. Anyway I wanted to ask about my paladin and stam stacking. Here is my armory link -
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rms&n=Heirloom

So I would just like to get some things straight by asking the community
    1) Is my character stacking stamina and 2) Is stacking stamina even bad on a paladin?
    As long as you are Defense capped and Block capped (which isn't hard to do) its fine. With the current fights, you best bet is to play to EH ratings against bosses- Thats also why most DK tanks (including my own) are usually Blood specced and not Frost specced (although mine is Duel Spec'd for both )

Your dipstick friend is wrong. As already stated, as long as you have defense cap you're golden on stacking stam. It's even mostly ok to stack stam over avoidance being under the 102.4% cap. Its a balancing act really. If you can get more hp with raid buffs by stacking stamina versus your buffed block rating, you may as well ignore the block rating b/c you'll have more EH without it.

I know a lot of paladins disagree on this point, but there just are not a lot of good reasons to not stack stamina. First, stamina helps versus magic damage/dot damage whereas armor and avoidance do not (and there are a lot of unavoidable and armor ignoring damage sources out there). AD also scales with stamina, not avoidance or armor. So you get an extra 7% benefit for every point in stamina. Your JoL also scales with your hp. 1k+ heal procs for the raid from JoL is nice.

Frankly, there's enough armor and avoidance on gear. Unless you're ridiculously close to 102.4%, just go stamina.

my pally is currently geared for avoidance, but it would be rather silly of me to GEM for avoidance because of DR, i think the best thing to gem is stam once defense capped and gear for either mitigation or avoidance, which ever is your preference and your healers preference.

Quote Originally Posted by rambam
    my pally is currently geared for avoidance, but it would be rather silly of me to GEM for avoidance because of DR, i think the best thing to gem is stam once defense capped and gear for either mitigation or avoidance, which ever is your preference and your healers preference.
    Gearing and stacking are basically the same thing. In a normal raid environment I'll have 55% avoidance with 60% avoidance from procs. I really fail to see why I would want more avoidance than that over, say, my 50k hp.

If you really want to stack avoidance though, shoot for dodge, defense, and parry rating in a 2.4 : 1.8 : 1 ratio after you reach 689 def, 96 dodge, and 64 parry.

Felz you have too much def. rating to be gemming for defense. If you are trying to meet socket bonuses use different hybrid gems. If you're going for stam use +275 health on your chest. Also 2% threat to gloves can be invaluable as an enchant so look into that.

If you would like to get rid of Defender's Code you can enchant your chest with 22 def., your cloak with 16 def. and get a shoulder enchant that has the 15 def. on it. You can also choose to use the def. rating meta gem if you like. You should also put 22 stam on your boots.

i know how to play my class, but thanks for providing useful information to others

also, gearing is different to stacking, eg if i was gearing for block i'd go for 102.4 from gear, but what would i do with my sockets, well i'd either go str or stam depends on how extreme you wish to go, str would be the extreme stacking, stam would be the more sensible one

also in the trinkets lie a lot of "free stats" to move around so from your choices you could put an avoidance trink or a stam trink, or potentially what ever you seem to be the best trinket.

i'm not debating the viability of stamina, avoidance or mitigation, im just saying, gearing and gemming are/can be different and you may aim for the same, similar or different goals from each.

i know how to play my class, but thanks for providing useful information to others

also, gearing is different to stacking, eg if i was gearing for block i'd go for 102.4 from gear, but what would i do with my sockets, well i'd either go str or stam depends on how extreme you wish to go, str would be the extreme stacking, stam would be the more sensible one

also in the trinkets lie a lot of "free stats" to move around so from your choices you could put an avoidance trink or a stam trink, or potentially what ever you seem to be the best trinket.

i'm not debating the viability of stamina, avoidance or mitigation, im just saying, gearing and gemming are/can be different and you may aim for the same, similar or different goals from each.
    True. A lot depends on the boss fight in question too.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Angella
    Your JoL also scales with your hp. 1k+ heal procs for the raid from JoL is nice.
    JoL heal values proc from the Attacker's max HP, not the casters.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

im just saying, gearing and gemming are/can be different and you may aim for the same, similar or different goals from each.
    Gems are a part of your gear, not something separate to it. By extension, your gemming strategy is a part of your gearing strategy. Let's not say that they are/can be different, because they aren't and can't be.

Back to the original point: If you have 540 defense skill, stacking stamina is generally the best approach. High boss damage is a direct result of extremely high avoidance values, and the value of block rating and block value has declined with every major content patch since Wrath of the Lich King was released, since boss damage has been increasing far faster than block amounts.