Thread: Alchemy....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Alchemy....

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous
    You guys miss my point. Professions are there to make money, and give you some benefits that are exclusive to you. Alchemy is fueled by herbalism. Right now, because of the price on everything, it is MORE PROFITABLE to just herb and sell them on the AH than it is to make pots/flasks and sell those. For money making, it is fail. I could spend hours farming mats to make flask of the frost wurm to sell for 20g ea, and then end up having to buy most of the frost lotus I need. If I just farmed herbs, I would make more money, without spending a bunch of money on frost lotus.

Gem transmutes are ridiculously terrible. It is more profitable just to BG for honor and buy gems with that.
    If that first comment about flasks selling for less than the cost of mats is accurate, then what you suffer from is a case of idiots on your server. Why would anyone craft a product and sell it at a loss? I realize it happens a bit with cheap junk people make while leveling a skill, but very few flasks should be getting listed for this reason, they are a tail end item and the crafter can just use them himself. Anyways, if true, be patient. Soon the stupid people will stop selling money losing flasks. Ergo, flasks will become rare, and subsequently more expensive.

Don't know about your comment on the gem transmutes. You can only do one a day, but it takes no time and makes generally nets you 100-140G. But maybe epic gems only go for 20G on your server, who knows?

While we are on the subject, which specialization have you all found to be the most useful and/or profitable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehlkatur
    I have died some times for just blinking away from balls and straight in to another pair of balls.
    Nerf teabagging!

What are you smoking? Alchemy is awesome! I dropped mining on my Shaman and picked up Alchemy so now I have 2 Transmution Master speced Alchemists. It's so easy to level...I bought the really low level stuff on the cheap from the AH and used my druid to farm the in between stuff from 270-450.

The increased time on flasks is priceless for raiders.

I burn my transmute daily for making raw epic gems. I just proced 2x king ambers yesterday. That's about 130G I just got for....hitting 1 button in Dalaran.

I never sell off the potions/flasks, except the random stuff from the Northrend research. Too much work. If you want to try to make money of Alchemy consumables, put your potions/flasks up right before raiding time.

In terms of what spec to pick...I've been all 3. When I was playing my mage, I picked Potions. Then I retired him to DEing, so I switched it to Exilirs and then finally, wanting to make even more gold (because I'm greedy), picked transmutation.

If you want to talk about a craptasic profession, ask a question about Tailoring. It was semi-decent in BC with the BoP stuff, but not anymore. I can buy the Frostweave bags at cost from the AH instead of wasting my time making them.

Alchemy is awful at making money. Since 3.2 it has done nothing but cost me tons!

Let me show you with some simple napkin math

Transmutation Mastery Respec 175g
    Scarlet Ruby 40g + Eternal Fire 20g = Cardinal Ruby 180g

Right there I'm in the hole 35g! Oh, what? I'm transmuting every day? Oh yeah! That transmuatation mastery can proc me 2x or 5x of those 180g Cardinal Rubies for 60g mats. The respec was paid for after two days assuming no procs. I've been xmuting every day since it dropped and have used some of the rubies for myself but I've gotten at least 4 2x procs and 2 5x procs. I never had much money before but now I'm making 3-5k a week between my rubies and selling enchanting scrolls from all the worthless burning crusade mats I've been getting working on achievements.

My Alchemy alone makes me somewhere in the ballpark of 2k a week. Again this is all napkin math so please don't rip apart my numbers but I love my alchemy and I am very sorry that you don't. Please drop it for one of the many other professions, hopefully you'll find one you like better.

10+ Year Old Account

its more about saving money (being able to craft your own flasks and crap)

hopefully it will wind up being similar to 70 where they add epic trinkets for one of the final patches / mini patches

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthro
    Alchemy is awful at making money. Since 3.2 it has done nothing but cost me tons!

Let me show you with some simple napkin math

Transmutation Mastery Respec 175g
    Scarlet Ruby 40g + Eternal Fire 20g = Cardinal Ruby 180g
    That's some bad napkin math. It's not realistic to price the respec cost into your example. It's a one time cost no different than the costs you pay to level the craft.

So now your math is 60G cost, 180G sell price = 120G profit per day. That is bad because?

FYI, due to the high price of scarlet rubies, I rarely transmute them. I can get all the other gems for about 10G and the other eternals (except maybe air) for around 3-5G. The results don't sell as high as cardinal's but given the lower mat cost, net profit is usually the same or more. I sold my last 4 dreadstones at 150 per, after buying opals at 8G per and eternal shadow at 3G per.

For what spec, I have never really tried to profit from flask selling, however, from my cursory glances it looks like one can profit about 10G per flask on my server. Of course, you are going to make many more flasks than transmutes due to the transmute cooldown. So it boils down to more frequent procs of low profit items versus occassional procs of high profit items. It's probably a wash either way.

I'd say transmute speciality if you are lazy (like me) and only want to bother with a few items in the AH, or elixir mastery if you like having hundreds of auctions up, scanning for low priced herbs, synchronizing with raid times, etc., etc.

Sorry, I thought the initial sarcasm became obvious as you read through the rest of my post. I absolutely love Alchemy and have been making great money with it. I'm pretty sure I finally earned more than I spent on it.

A few things, a respec is 150 not 175, and that cost needs to be amortized over the life of alchamey. Also people are comparing the mats of a flask to the price of one flask. You make 2 not 1. On my server a Frost lotus goes for 30 gold and a stack of herbs goes for 20-25. So if I buy 4 frost lotus' and 2 stacks of herbs I pay 165 gold and make 8 flasks (assuming you are not elix spec, becuase you should be transmute). A flask of frost wrym goes for 40-50 gold each. So 40x8=320 and mats are 165. Also if you transmute gems (don't do cardinal for profit) you can make a lot. On my server a blue gem is 15 gold, and an air is 10. That's 25 gold, and cut a stam gem which sells for 150-180. That is 125-155 gold profit.

Now I have all professions on alts so I farm the mats myself, and 20 minutes of mining yeilds a ton of gems, plus I make an icy prism every day (what else to do with orbs), and 20 minutes of herbing yeilds a couple frost lotus' and 6-8 stacks of herbs.

But as other said, I took alch for the +47 SP on the frost wrym, and the +1300 health on stoneblood. I not actually selling my gems or herbs/flasks, because as a progression raider I need a ton of them, and I have 2 main raiding toons (Boom/Bear and Pally tank/heals). It is more cost avoidance than money making

EDIT: Just saw Lycanthro's next post, so disregard the comment on respec
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthro
    Sorry, I thought the initial sarcasm became obvious as you read through the rest of my post. I absolutely love Alchemy and have been making great money with it. I'm pretty sure I finally earned more than I spent on it.
    LOL, it was obvious. I got interrupted mid post reading and forgot to go back and finish before entering my reply. Sorry.

It beats mining, that I was originally.

But a part of me tells me I should've leveled JCing.

Buy uncut gem - cut gem - re-list gem, nets me 400-500g a day with so little effort my eyes could bleed, and y'know what, if i wasn't too lazy to level the prof, i would STILL trade it for 2 hour flasks.