Mage Leveling After Level 60

Hello fellow mages,

I have recently started playing a mage when i realized how much fun they are, and now my toon has reached level 60. My question is this, at this point, what spec should I use to just blow through Outland? I have been using fire all the way through Azeroth and its a spec I'm comfortable with, but I've read on several sites that its a good idea to switch to arcane from level 60.

So, should I stay specced into fire or go Arcane? If your answer is going to be arcane please post a build that goes to level 60 for me and you'll get a cookie.

Deleted

Re: Mage Leveling After Level 60

Well just my personal preference, but i really enjoyed leveling as frost, water pet and all the survivability was nice.

Once you learn Arcance Blast arcane is great to level with.
    2min evo for infinite mana quick and easy single target kills and any elites that are slowable can be VERY easily soloed.
    Plus it is competetive for pvp situations as well [not as much as frost though]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

At level 60 you can pretty much pick any spec, although I'd stay frost until 80.

IMO very much depends on your personal preference:

Like going to as many instances as possible? Fire or arcane - frost sucks ass and is dull as

Like soloing group quests? - frost all the way matey - enjoy frost kiting with your pet... something i greatly miss as a raiding mage

Like ploughing through single mobs as quick as possible (but pretty poor for aoe)? - arcane is your friend

Like to see lots of yellow numbers come up on your screen, and like to run the risk of dying horribly? Fire FTW! Living bomb a group of 10-20 mobs... frost nova... run away.... ??? .... PROFIT!

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by scism
    and like to run the risk of dying horribly?
    *cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

I would say frost is always the way to go for leveling, the combined mob snaring and mana effeciency is what you want for leveling

Arcane is alright but you'll end up taking a fair bit of damage from mobs that get to you...i'm not sure how good it is now with the new free Mbarr, might be quite good...combined with glyph evo healing 60% every 2 mins is good i guess

I just prefer frost as you have quite a lot more survivability which makes life a lot easier when things get tough.

Just don't go fire...

Quote Originally Posted by scism
    Like to see lots of yellow numbers come up on your screen, and like to run the risk of dying horribly? Fire FTW! Living bomb a group of 10-20 mobs... frost nova... run away.... ??? .... PROFIT!
    definitely this. just learn the timing, and you won't die often.

Quote Originally Posted by afkalmighty
    2min evo for infinite mana quick and easy single target kills and any elites that are slowable can be VERY easily soloed.
    Once I learned arcane blast I switched to arcane for leveling and never looked back. The extra hit you can get with talents plus the burst damage is great for leveling and with a 2 min evo you'll rarely ever have to drink. I still wonder why they haven't offered a lower level arcane blast yet so you can go arcane pre-64.

Deleted

Arcane is better for PvP while levelling. It has more burst and instants so with no resi, you can kill anyone if you use CDs.

Frost is only better if you dont pick fights yourself and just want to get away. It's easier to escape as frost but arcane can kill pretty much anyone your level.

Quote Originally Posted by ita
    Arcane is better for PvP while levelling. It has more burst and instants so with no resi, you can kill anyone if you use CDs.

Frost is only better if you dont pick fights yourself and just want to get away. It's easier to escape as frost but arcane can kill pretty much anyone your level.
    When I was lvl53 it was funny to see my elemental soloes rogue while im sitting in Ice Block.
    I dunno how the hell you can even consider arcane to be better in pvp, especially @ low levels. Frost gives you tonns of survivability along with nice shatter crits, which imo kills faster than any arcane shit you can imagine.
    Personally I am in love with frost since i first saw 'In frost we trust' video. I think aoe grinding is funniest way of levelling as mage, just cant imagine any other spec for myself till 80.
    But yes, its kinda personal :P

I went Fire to 60, then tried frost for a level and didn't like it so I switched arcane and stayed arcane until 80. I would stay fire until you get arcane blast (64 i think), as pre-AB you'll only really have two spells to use.

specc into frost
    seriously
    go 0/0/71
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage#ffgKY1GSS_1,,10554
    something like this
    i really NEVER EVER EVER drank during questing
    the key is mana gem everytime cd is down
    and then evocate every 4 minutes.
    and KEEP icy veins water elemental and coldsnap ON COOLDOWN
    even it is 1 mob DO NOT think it is a waste
    i helps u alot. better than not using it at all. i see so many dumb people not using their cooldowns while lvling
    questing is the fastest way anyway and its the most efficient lvl build and u will really rarely die.

Armory Link

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Festung+der+St%C3%BCrme&n=Sanctury

Deleted

This. Which means from level 64 on.
    It's a very straightfoward playstyle, and with 2min Evocation you'll never go OOM.

Only thing you really miss from Frost spec is a great AoE option, but if you are levelling through quests you won't miss it that much. Personally, I dual specced Arcane/Frost, so that I can still have that option...

Quote Originally Posted by Gobber
    I would say frost is always the way to go for leveling, the combined mob snaring and mana effeciency is what you want for leveling

Arcane is alright but you'll end up taking a fair bit of damage from mobs that get to you...i'm not sure how good it is now with the new free Mbarr, might be quite good...combined with glyph evo healing 60% every 2 mins is good i guess

I just prefer frost as you have quite a lot more survivability which makes life a lot easier when things get tough.

Just don't go fire...
    Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Fire - Easy to die. No real snare. Not very mana efficient. Good dps.
    Arcane - Slow. 2 minute Evo. Recent increase in mana efficiency. Torment the weak. Good dps.
    Frost - Best mana efficiency. Replenishment. Elemental. Best survivability. Lowest dps. Great snares.

Personally I'd recommend frost 1-80 but with recent changes to arcane it's probably very nice once you get arcane blast. If you have decent gear (boa stuff) pretty much any spec will kill stuff fast and you shouldn't have too much mana problems.