Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is a shadow priest necessary for 10 man Algalon?

I'm getting sat (hunter) for a shadow priest for algalon because they need one. true?

Re: Is a shadow priest necessary for 10 man Algalon?

Very false, I would rather take a hunter over a SP because A) hunter is better dps B) Hunters are good at dealing w/ stars and C) 10mans are the only exception to "take the player over class." The 10m in our guild has the worst make up and we get stuff done.

Edit: Only reason I would take a SP if they lacked Replenishment but you could also go Survival Replenishment spec.

you can use any cd for big bang, we use paladin tanks ardent defender and holy priests guardian spirits for it, there's no NEED for a sp.

Using a shadow priest makes taking big bangs alot easier because the spriest can take the 1st and 3rd one and if you have a holy prierst they can GS the 2nd one. My 10 man group did this for all of our early kills. We don't use the spriest now so we have our prot pally just eat the 1st and 3rd one with his Ardent Defender. We don't have that "oops" anymore if the tank doesn't get heals for a second but with our healing now this is never a problem.

So in short, a spriest is very helpful (especially if your group has not killed him before), but not necessary.

yes its for big bang, unless for some reason you're running with 2 priests for their GS cd's, a dps dk popping his shield wall and stuff mighhht work to soak it, but your tanks need all their cds for tanking algalons hits
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Quote Originally Posted by Evok
    I am being told it's necessary for big bang to mitigate the damage or dispersion or something.
    Harsh reality is that they're probably trying to tell you easily that they just prefer this person, either out of bias or superior DPS. If not those two, then they're just ignorant.

Every Tank can Survive a Big Bang but they have to use Cooldowns, so they cant use these CD's elsewhere if needed.

A shadow is very helpfull but not necessary.

Since they lowered the Cooldown from dispersion and did not change the Glyph, a Shadowpriest can eat every Bigbang if he glyphed Dispersion.

No

we have a shadow glyph for dispersion and soak all the big bangs, I am sure that having a tank soak them with CDs is possible but it would make the encounter a lot harder.

If this is your guild's first attempt at algalon its probably better to just let them take the spreist and learn the fight, you can come in after that... but why are they sitting you and not one of the other 4/5 dps?

No.

There's something wrong if they want to replace their "best dps" to bring that shadowpriest. Even if it was mandatory to have one (it seems not) i'd replace the lower/worse dps and not you.

If you're good friend with the raid leader you can simply ask him why.
    "Seeping crest of turbidity, arrogant vessel of lunacy.
    Boil forth and deny, grow numb and flicker, disrupting sleep.
    Crawling queen of iron, eternally self-destructing doll of mud.
    Unite, repulse. Fill with soil and know your own powerlessness."

Primera - Elemental Shaman - <Vedo La Gente Morta> - Pozzo dell'Eternità IT

10+ Year Old Account

its nice but not needed

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

Spriests are nice to eat the big bangs and they bring down the stars fairly well also and provide spirit/fort if theres a holy pally/druid healing it. If they are sitting him for you dont feel bad they are a nice raid utility for Alg. And not saying a hunter cant drop the stars either as well but usually if you have not downed him yet its necessary for the proper group comp.

15+ Year Old Account

the only reason i'd sit a hunter for a shadow priest is if the group is caster stacked and they would like the replenishment/buffs/3% hit that a spriest would bring to the group over a hunter.

raid synergy>specific class
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Runebreaker
    Harsh reality is that they're probably trying to tell you easily that they just prefer this person, either out of bias or superior DPS. If not those two, then they're just ignorant.
    Or maybe they don't have enough big bang soakers, and having a spriest over a hunter would at least make the encounter possible?

No

Quote Originally Posted by Evok
    I'm getting sat (hunter) for a shadow priest for algalon because they need one. true?
    No

in a caster based 10 man raid Spriest>>> hunter?

Yes

Deleted

I'm suprised that so many people say that a tank using their cooldowns is too risky because they need them for the end of the fight. It just really isn't true, with on-the-ball healers you can get through the fight without any cooldowns whatsoever. A shadowpriest however is nice to soak up the big bangs as said before, but it isn't a neccesity. We just take whoever is available/people who don't have the achievement on the night. With current gear available its a walk in the park.

Deleted

No one mentioned the fact that the healing compliment might be a selection from pala/shammy/durid and they need the fort buff to max up HP after getting a cosmic crash & star going down in close proximity and they don't want to swap out the healers.

This seems like the most logical reason to me.

15+ Year Old Account

OP should post the raid composition