Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Dots, hots and haste, Blue posts

Dots, hots and haste
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    We are trying to make haste a slightly more attractive stat for classes that utilize a lot of damage or healing over time spells, specifically Shadow priests, warlocks (though especially Affliction) and Resto druids. We realize other classes use hots and dots too, but I think we can all agree that it's a bigger problem for the ones I mentioned.

I'm going to share with you an idea that the class and item designers came up with for 3.3. This is a work in progress so it's possible we'll end up going a different way after we see how it plays. However I also wanted to explain our logic here in case it wasn't obvious.

We have new tech that will allow specific hots and dots to tick faster -- the time between ticks would decrease. This means more damage or healing per time but also having to refresh those spells more often. Since there is a trade-off, we're not sure the change is a no-brainer, especially in the healing case.

Because of this, we are planning on introducing the concept through glyphs. Glyphs represent a great test bed for new ideas because they are easier to change (and easier on the players when we do change them) compared to core spell functions or even talents. If we like the way it feels and players like the way it feels and the glyphs prove popular or fun, then this may be the kind of thing that shifts from glyphs over time -- not unlike the way some favorite set bonuses eventually become talents.

For 3.3 we are talking about introducing three new glyphs for Shadow Word: Pain, Corruption and Rejuvenation that would allow these spells to tick faster with the more haste you have. There are glyphs of Corruption and Rejuv already, and we're not sure how we're going to resolve those yet. For Shadow Word: Pain, we are likely to rename the current glyph to Glyph of Mind Flay, remove the old Glyph of Mind Flay, and increase Mind Flay by 10 yards in the base spell.

Again, these are not promises (nor ponies). For a variety of reasons, you may see these changes on the PTR or you may not. If you do see any or all of the three glyphs implemented however, we wanted you to have some idea of what we were trying to do. Feedback is certainly appreciated, especially if you get to try them out.
    Emblems of Triumphs in 3.3
    Originally Posted by Bornakk (Blue Tracker)
    General reminder: Things can still change.

The current plan is to make Emblems of Triumph the "base" of emblems so everything that drops Emblems of Conquest would be changed to Triumph and then the new raid content would drop the new highest emblem along with things like the heroic daily and such.
    Icecrown Citadel - Hard Mode "Switch"
    Assuming everything goes as planned, you can switch it back and forth as much as you like. Encounter 1 on hard, 2 on normal, 3 on hard, 4 on normal, etc.

In effect it works out similar to Ulduar but it's with a much more clear method in the UI as opposed to the fairly confusing process of figuring out some encounter mechanics just to activate it.
    Ulduar Change - Thorim disconnect
    Originally Posted by Dresorull (Blue Tracker)
    We've made some changes to the Thorim encounter in Ulduar to reduce the amount of information sent when you initially start the fight. This should reduce the amount of lag and disconnects that some players experience when starting the encounter.

If you have completed the Thorim encounter after today (10/6) and are still experiencing issues when engaging the mobs in the arena, please post in this thread.

Please keep this thread on topic, and only post if you are still experiencing disconnects during the Thorim encounter.
    Blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Headless Horseman in 2009
    I posted this a while back, but he is indeed level 80. (Source)

Missing brewfest coins
    There has been a change to the way holiday tokens and items work. If an item's tooltip says it requires that holiday, that means it will remain as long as the holiday is up and will automatically disappear from your inventory when the holiday ends. That tokens are included in this is intended.

Remember that your in-game calendar will tell you the precise time when the holidays begin and end in server time, so if you're uncertain if you're going to have enough time to complete things in the future, make sure to check your calendar.

[...] We have no plans to restore the coins. The coins going away was something that happened last year as well, and it was not a bug then, either.

If you're looking to get the meta achievement, it does not require you to spend every day doing the dailies, or even half the days of the event. Yes, it will require some dedication, but if you do not have the time to spend to get all the achievements in one year, that's perfectly understandable; the holiday will be there next year, and you can focus on different goals. (Source)

Argent Tournament and Faction Changes
    At this point there is no estimate on when or if we will be altering the paid faction change service to not reset the Argent Tournament questlines. It does set you back a bit but if you are aiming to farm for all the mounts then you can recover from it pretty quickly.

If we have plans to remove content from the game we will try and give a heads up as early as possible, but right now there are no plans to remove the Argent Tournament. (Source)

Re: Dots, hots and haste, Blue posts

No ponies? :-[
    Random IRC ramblings:
    <Bibi-> you can call me Arthas and I'll play with your Frostmourne
    <FlyOnZeWall> at the point where mouth touches dick, I feel it's safe to say nobody gives a flying fuck about balls

You might want to edit the second part of the news post to also include the part where Bornakk confirms that Icecrown Citadel will have only 2 lockouts unlike TOC's 4 which the official preview seems to indicate.
    4/12/292277026596 15:30:08

Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    BUT WHYYYYYYYYY

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille

Emblems of Triumphs in 3.3
    General reminder: Things can still change.

The current plan is to make Emblems of Triumph the "base" of emblems so everything that drops Emblems of Conquest would be changed to Triumph and then the new raid content would drop the new highest emblem along with things like the heroic daily and such.
    You can't be fucking serious guys.. that would be what id generally call: Really Retarded shit!

I mean c'mon ofc we need casuals to be able to rock with the big tops, but aren't ToCr and Conquest Badge iLvl 226 gear enough..?

am i really the only one who dont want to see idiots run around in full tier 9 after a day of heroic farming, the so far highest tier? ;s i mean really now it still takes atleast some kind of effort to get even a single piece of gear.. but with that.. i don't really know... what's it worth to be in full high ilvl BiS gear if i could get the same gear on a whole new 80 dinged char in a week or so..? i mean what's the challenge and achievement in that..? ???

Dots, hots idea seems nice tbh but rather stupid aswell, not quite sure if i really like it or not..

kind of disappointed by wow atm... :-\

Quote Originally Posted by 989sk8r
    isn't it easy enough to get emblems of triumph as it is?
    Yea.. and the gear will be 2 tiers behind once ICC comes out.. so only bads will be complaining.
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

Quote Originally Posted by Aùssa02
    You can't be fucking serious guys.. that would be what id generally call: Really Retarded shit!

I mean c'mon ofc we need casuals to be able to rock with the big tops, but aren't ToCr and Conquest Badge iLvl 226 gear enough..?

am i really the only one who dont want to see idiots run around in full tier 9 after a day of heroic farming, the so far highest tier? ;s i mean really now it still takes atleast some kind of effort to get even a single piece of gear.. but with that.. i don't really know... what's it worth to be in full high ilvl BiS gear if i could get the same gear on a whole new 80 dinged char in a week or so..? i mean what's the challenge and achievement in that..? ???

Dots, hots idea seems nice tbh but rather stupid aswell, not quite sure if i really like it or not..

you do realize that in 3.3 the 232 gear is gonna be just as outdated as the Conquest gear is now?

IT WON'T AFFECT YOU.

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    We needs moar ponies!

Quote Originally Posted by Relene

you do realize that in 3.3 the 232 gear is gonna be just as outdated as the Conquest gear is now?

IT WON'T AFFECT YOU.

Done.
    it's not quite my point you might realise if you actually read all of my post..?

it's the whole idea of being able to pop into gear that's supposed to be for people who have cleared ulduar 25 and ToCr25 in raids, i don't get the point anymore.. :S

look at it like for the horde or alliance.

if you were able to get it before wotlk came out and everyone was still at 70 you were cool and it should that you had skill. now that everyone is 80 its kinda like have the jenkins title it rly does not mean any thing because there is bigger better things
    (Insert something witty about me being in beta)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaseladen View Post
    Sounds like someone got turned down for a date by a dragon aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asatru View Post
    THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT ME AND MBSAAN'S NEW INTERNET FRIENDSHIP. -hijacked!-

it's not quite my point you might realise if you actually read all of my post..?

it's the whole idea of being able to pop into gear that's supposed to be for people who have cleared ulduar 25 and ToCr25 in raids, i don't get the point anymore.. :S
    I read it, and the general QQ is people popping into current gear that's the highest. Key word is: CURRENT.

If you're going for the "WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT OF RAIDING FOR GEAR I CAN GET NEXT PATCH EASIER", then stop playing.

What's the point of raiding at all if next patch it's gonna be replaced? What's the point of raiding if next expansion pack it's gonna be obsolete?

It's to get people to see the current content. They want more and more people to see the content they design for the players.

Well, that's how it always has been. You shouldn't be raiding for the gear anyways.. you're suppose to enjoy it and have fun clearing it when it was new and hard. Don't bother that people would get your outdated gear.. if you're in any type of raiding guild, you will be way ahead of them in terms of gear.
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

i don't get the point anymore.. :S
    There is no point to WoW anymore.

Any gear you get will be collected by scrubs 4 weeks later.
    Any boss you kill will be killed by scrubs 4 weeks later.

All that matters is Blizzard get their $$$$$, all competitive features of WoW have been finally killed.

World Firsts? Who cares? Stars/Ensidia etc etc all killed Anub hc 25 weeks ago, NO PROBLEM everyone else has seen/killed it now too.

Why be hardcore when being a casual scrub lets yuo get everything and see the whole game aswell.

Zero reason to want to play well in this game anymore, everything gets handed on a silver platter to everyone.

Wow, are they FINALLY fixing Mind Flay by adding those 10 yards? Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiko
    Wow, are they FINALLY fixing Mind Flay by adding those 10 yards? Awesome.
    Looks like it. Seems I'll have to copy my Priest over to the PTR for some testing

Gonna be a pretty huge buff to Spriests since our SW:P gets refreshed all the time so we wont have the tradeoff of having to refresh it more often.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

I just don't know anymore.

I still have as much fun as I did back in 2004. Dunno what stick people have up their ass, but I'm sure glad as hell I don't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tang
    Raiders will be running around in ilevel 258+ gear. ilevel 232 gear (what you can buy with triumph badges) is going to drop from the three new heroics.

If you're really hardcore (doing hard modes in ICC) you'll have access to ilevel 277 or higher gear.

At 50 badges a piece, it would take a week of doing every single heroic every single day to put together a full 5 piece tier 9 set, longer to get the off pieces as well.

Right now, for the same effort, you can get 4 pieces of tier 8 plus a lot of nice off pieces.

So what is so special about T9 compared to T8? By the time it's easy to acquire, there will beT10 and heroic T10 that makes it look like a joke.
    If you're using ilevel 232 gear, you're not any where close to BiS.
    Ya i like the system, lets me level alts well. I just hope they make hard mode loot look better then normal mode loot this raid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Im not usually one too "QQ" about gear/emblems.

But I am strongly opposed to this emblem base conversion, simply based on the fact that getting ilvl 232 gear will be FAR too easy. By this I mean you can have 5/5 T9 within a week, and that is DEFINITELY an issue.

As for the whole "oh well the gear isn't the best anymore", the point of my post is the gear is still quite high-end when taking a look at WOTLK epics.

I'm greatly concerned because this makes a large deal of content obsolete (Not Ulduar QQ).

Now this wouldn't be too much of a problem if it weren't possible to buy ALL OF THE T9 with badges, you can basically gear out too the point of hardmode TOGC 10, through the triumph badge gear (If given the proper amount)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never said Blizzard is making the game too easy, well...because boss fights have only gotten more complex over the years. Just the triumph as the base badge is just......

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by kazmeyer
    What makes more sense, genius? That your uber-security had a flaw, or that someone cracked Blizzard's servers and instead of compromising thousands of accounts, they just singled out you? What did you do, piss off the Joker or something?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cenarius&n=Aredan - 80 Prot Warrior
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cenarius&n=Daxter - 80 MM hunter
    PVP is a matter of overcoming your own weaknesses while exploiting the weaknesses of others.

If you suck, it's because you can't comprehend the previous sentence.

Glyph changes are "band-aid" changes. Seriously, unless they find a way to make it possible to use these new glyphs with out screwing us out of the old glyphs that are needed then I'm not sure I support this as a glyph change. I do like the idea of hots/dots ticking faster though. This would probably make an affliction warlock be nothing but dot spam, life tap and drain life. Shadow priests already have pain refreshed through mind flay so it won't be as bad. Restoration druids should see an over all benefit and a total change in healing style.

I'm all for the emblem change. I normally take a month off every other month and changes like this help me gear up. I have NO desire to raid because I actually like sleeping and having a life outside of the game. With ICC 5 man heroic and the emblem change it should be possible to be in complete 232/245 gear without ever stepping foot in a raid. The actual raiders will still have better gear but so be it.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.