Thread: AoE threat?

10+ Year Old Account

AoE threat?

I'm new to druids, so if I'm doing something wrong, please help.

I'm generally resto, but have a feral off-set with a few dodge/defense pieces, so I agreed to tank a heroic for a guildy (pugged rest).

I try to Fairie Fire and Demoralizing Roar on all mobs in a pack, then swipe and use Maul with Mangle or Lacerate (when Mangle is on CD), however, I seem to constantly have to tab target to try and keep threat on every mob in a trash pack.

Am I doing something wrong or is druid AoE threat that awful?

Re: AoE threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet
    I'm new to druids, so if I'm doing something wrong, please help.

I'm generally resto, but have a feral off-set with a few dodge/defense pieces, so I agreed to tank a heroic for a guildy (pugged rest).

I try to Fairie Fire and Demoralizing Roar on all mobs in a pack, then swipe and use Maul with Mangle or Lacerate (when Mangle is on CD), however, I seem to constantly have to tab target to try and keep threat on every mob in a trash pack.

Am I doing something wrong or is druid AoE threat that awful?
    don't FF or Demo roar on trash. Demo roar is for hard hitting bosses/trash. FFF is for initial aggro and a debuff to help out the melee. If you have 3+ mobs just spam swipe and maul on every mob, tabbing around. Keep note of the mobs that are going down faster than the others and maybe throw a mangle on it. That is all you need to do. Keep note of where your taunt and aoe taunt abilities are.

10+ Year Old Account

Ok, I'll try that next time. Thank you!

it also takes some practice to taunt individuals back while maintaining your aoe tps.

If you're grouped with ranged DPS forget about pulling with FFF, just bear charge and queue up maul as you do so then proceed to maul/swipe spam while tab targeting. You can also toss up a lacerate on different targets to buff your maul damage/threat.

Quote Originally Posted by bavarcarus
    it also takes some practice to taunt individuals back while maintaining your aoe tps.
    I find binding Swipe to mousewheel makes managing groups when you have to pick stuff up much easier.

Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account

I have also bound swipe to my mouse wheel. It makes it a lot easier.

Another thing which would make your tanking many times easier is to make a single mark on one of the mobs. Then the DPS know which mob to auto attack, or what-not they do, while doing their AOE, as it's often that kind of damage which pulls aggro. It’s also easier for the DPS as they know which mob they can go all out on from the start.

use glyph of maul for heroics aswell :P

10+ Year Old Account

FF is good for pulling, the debuff helps you deal damage and damage = threat.

Other then that, spam Swipe and Maul. Try to rotate your targets so that the maul's hit everything (assuming you're using the Maul glyph to make it multi-target).

A good method is to make a mouse over targeting macro so that you'll maul which ever target you hover the mouse cursor over.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-