Poll: Do you MD

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Do you MD?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Do you MD?

If you don't, I consider you a very shitty hunter, aka huntard.

So remember boys, if you want your tank to think you're good. MD to him every pull.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart
    No tank should ever rely on a hunter's MD for loose mobs for two reasons. For starters, you can taunt the loose mob faster than the time it takes for the misdirect and the following three shots to land. Secondly, it's not a hunter's job to clean up poor threat. If a hunter is high on the threat table, using misdirects as a means to stay below the tank is viable. However, if a tank loses aggro on a mob that the group is focusing on, a misdirect is not going to cut it. It's going to take a taunt for the tank to reestablish aggro. Tanks need to be in control of what they're tanking - it's as simple as that. I can see a hunter misdirecting adds such as the elementals that spawn during the Emalon fight or the Saronite Animus during General, but even then, that's just to help the tank, not do his job for him.

I do think Misdirect is an interesting skill and I don't see any reason to have it taken out. It's not a zomg-must-have skill like heroism, but it's interesting and it really isn't doing any harm.
    I did not mean losing aggro halfway through a fight.

Perfect example would be Emalons adds spawns Ot is out of taunt range The add then proceeds to aggro
    #1 Mt = this is actually ok if you have decent tank/healers
    #2 melee dps = is he smart enough to run closer to the OT ? (doubt it)

But yeah most of you chose the correct answer anyway

Also Kudos to the guy who said he opens with Md on Aoe packs because that helps the tanks out quite A lot specially warriors since they got to get the timing and Location of Thunderclap just right or they are S.O.L for 6 seconds.

Only ever use it on the initial pull in order to dump at least some of the burst threat so as to try to not waste a dps GCD on FD. Threat's just mental at the start of the fight though (thanks, Engi!), usually end up having to FD anyway.

And, unlike rogues, hunters are actually very pressed for GCDs; therefore, as MDs are *still* affected by GCD, they are rarely popped during a fight as it'd be basically like trading DPS in for a measly 10k boss threat. Woo. Pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocstar
    My personal belief is that whoever plays a hunter in the arena testing they have done since season 1 is just a monster, skilled beyond all belief and manages to whomp on the testers playing other classes. They in turn nerf hunters each and every patch to close the gap on this superhuman hunter demigod.... Slow down on the skills man, we don't stand a chance now and we can't take much more of the nerf bat.

On the pull 100% of the time since it's free damage to me without worrying about pulling aggro, and increased DPS for the whole raid. After that situationally from fight to fight - while running to icehowl after a massive crash, on the tank on any fight if people are getting very close to a tank, after aggro wipes, when adds spawn on 25 heroic anub, when a guardian spawns far away from the tank on yogg, etc.

Saying "it's only 5k" is dumb - that's 5k that 15-18 people in the raid each need to exceed by 10-30% before pulling. On most fights you don't need it, true, but on some fights it's very helpful, especially right at the start of attacking a mob.

Plus, it's likely to be quite a bit more than 5k anyway - all of my attacks crit more often than they hit, and even autoshot crits for 4kish, aimed and chimera which I'll try to use MD on crit for a lot more. And before you say it, applying serpent sting uses and MD charge for the full damage of the sting, which mean it's worth about 6k threat, not just the threat of a single tick.

I use it sometimes if needed. TBH there are a few classes that can surpass the tank who goes all out in aggro, it's hunters and warlocks and not much else. We have feign death and warlocks soul shatter. SO no reason to use it singletarget when the tank goes all out and we can just feign death.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump
    Vote Do you use Misdirect.

Posted this Poll because as a tank I see no benefit at all to having a hunter in a raid over any other class other than possibly the Misdirect ability.
    Even as a tank I see the ability as situational ability used for loose add pickup(Situational)
    though more threat is never a bad thing when spammed (on every cooldown)

My issue is the lazy hunter who refuses to use the ability because and I qoute (If a add gets loose the tank can just run after it)
    Well as I cannot dodge/block/parry attacks from behind me so I cannot exactly run 30 yards in a timely manner to save a squishy from a stray mob.
    Well don't take "lazy" hunters with you to a raid. MD is very useful, especially with War tanks who seem to have the most trouble holding agro, especially against large mobs. Not to say all War tanks are bad but it's rare to come across one where I don't have to MD and FD all the time. MD is also really useful for certain fights like Ingis, tank gets in place and I pull for him. A MD macro is the only macro I use, set focus on the tank and 1 button MD to him when ever I need. Helps keep healers alive too when the tank is otherwise occupied.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

I use it on every tank I don't know as a good tank. Then sometimes more. I love the spell actually. Something about boosting my tank's aggro gives me joy.

See, my problem is not using FD enough so when the tank dies, I'm normally the next hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizesu
    I use it on every tank I don't know as a good tank. Then sometimes more. I love the spell actually. Something about boosting my tank's aggro gives me joy.

See, my problem is not using FD enough so when the tank dies, I'm normally the next hit.
    Umm..see...I didn't want to break your bubble like this, bro, but uh...the reason you're not using FD enough is...well...see, you're a mage, bro. I know, it'll take some time to recuperate from that shock, but once you do, you'll know why the boss goes for you when tanks die. Never fear! Iceblock, MI, and invis are still here to save you (its the warlocks that should do all the dying).

Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    Umm..see...I didn't want to break your bubble like this, bro, but uh...the reason you're not using FD enough is...well...see, you're a mage, bro. I know, it'll take some time to recuperate from that shock, but once you do, you'll know why the boss goes for you when tanks die. Never fear! Iceblock, MI, and invis are still here to save you (its the warlocks that should do all the dying).
    Ever hear of having more then one 80?

Yeah, mmo says only one image in sigs now, so molt-ie doesn't get her time as mr. burn has a better gear score.

Yes, before a pull. I'll only MD in fight itself if FD gets resisted or a tank is exceptionally crappy at aggro or the tank is only kind of sorta crappy at aggro, and we're burning 3D sarth.

Quote Originally Posted by Metian
    At the moment.. No, but maybe after 3.3 (with the change in MD) i'll use it.
    This^^

I use it atm for initial threat but i dont see the need for it after that, If the tank is that bad that he needs MD every time then he shouldnt be tanking.
    There must be no retirement with our backs to the wall, And believing in the justice of our cause, Each one of us must fight on to the end.

We determine the guilty, We decide the punishment.

Only when needed, and always at the pull.

10+ Year Old Account

I miss the option: "Only to sacrifice gnomes".

Anyway, I usually MD at the pull or when add spawn when I play my hunter alt.
    So basicly only when needed.

10+ Year Old Account

always MD when i can
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

As a rogue, I have to say "Yes on every cooldown" because it makes FoKing easier without all that aggro stuff.
    and, on top of it, I only have to vanish once on a boss fight (only have it once on cooldown per boss, anyways)

I used to play a game called "Get the Gnome Mage with the Purple Mohawk Officer Killed."

Misdirected to him every trash pack...

Learned the game from a rogue friend...
    <Decidedly Uncouth> Horde Mal'Ganis

I actually used to use it a lot more in tbc - especially in 5 man instances. I misdirect/distraction shot combo would normally ensure that the tank wasn't going to loose threat anytime soon - at least until they changed distraction shot which meant that you couldn't misdirect it.

But that was back when the game was more than just 'pull everything - AOE everything'.

Now, I'll offer to misdirect at the start of a boss fight - esp. if the tank needs to position themselves correctly to begin with (Ignis and Crazy Cat Lady in Ulduar for example) but I don't normally do it mid-fight. Especially as at the moment there's no guarantee that if there's more than 1 hunter in your raid group, that one of the other ones isn't currently misdirecting to your MD target (and if you're doing it to stop a loose mob attacking the healer - there's a good chance that one of the other hunters might also have the same idea) which will mean that your MD will fail and you've just missed a GCD.

After 3.3 I'll probably be more willing to use it after they fix that issue.

if hunter dont Md than hes noob and dont even deserv spot in the Raid same goes for FD ;D

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho2009
    if hunter dont Md than hes noob and dont even deserv spot in the Raid same goes for FD ;D
    Actually the only time a hunter should MD is at the pull/aggro reset. If the tank can't pick up loose mobs alone then he's pretty bad tbh.

FD is pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump
    Posted this Poll because as a tank I see no benefit at all to having a hunter in a raid over any other class other than possibly the Misdirect ability.
    The problem is your trying to view the hunter through a tanks eyes "What can the hunter do for me?" but the hunter isn't about providing tanks with raid utility and if you try to use them like that then its no suprise you can't see the purpose of the hunter.

Lets flip the coin over = Whats the purpose of a tank-warrior? I don't know why warriors come to raids because they don't improve my dps at all?....

Hunters are a pure DPS class, infact hunters have just about the highest DPS of any class in game. Look at the DPS recount data and you'll see consistently that hunters will be in the top 10 of a 25 man (if they arent the problem is probably the player/gear and not the class). The reason you take a hunter to a raid is the same as any other class - because the player (not the class) is good, within the nowadays very liberal confines of the tank/heal/melee dps/ranged dps mechanic.

Now having got that out the way, I tend to MD on the pull in heroics and raids. I do this to provide a bit of slack for the group since it means if one of the DPS gets a bit eager on the pull, theres less chance of them stealing aggro. I see that happen a lot between rogues and warrior tanks. But I don't MD because the tank needs it, nor should I have to. I think you might be overestimating how effective MD is. All it really does is tells the mob to attack that person, it doesnt provide a workable amount of threat. So for example in anubarak i might use it just to stick a mob on the tank, BUT... even if the mob walks through another players AoE on its way to the tank, that alone will probably be enough to pull threat from the tank. Hopefully the new MD chances in 3.3 will make it slightly more "sticky" but even then, don't expect other classes to provide aggro slack for you. Holding aggro IS a tanks job, in the same way DPS is a hunters job.