Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: SW: D as an execute

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic
    Every class should have a sub-35% "execute" type ability in my opinion, but not something that is spammable.

For example.
    Paladins: Hammer of Wrath
    Warriors: Execute
    Priests(disc and shadow):_________
    Warlocks: Decimate
    Mages:_________
    Rogues:__________
    Hunters: Kill Shot
    Death Knight:_________
    Shaman:_________
    Druid(boomkin and feral):__________

etc.

The question is how to give each class an ability that behaves like execute but is not spammable and keeping things fair
    Decimate is a talent but drain soul gets its damage increased by a crap ton when the target is below 35% health. Frost Dk's do have a talent that increases damage of all abilities when the target is below 35% health. For several other classes i believe this is the case too but i do think there should be an option like this for all classes.

Quote Originally Posted by xt
    well maybe they should make it more like killshot from hunters?
    This is something that has always bothered me. On my priest I always found that SW: D was pretty lacking compared to other "execute" type spells that are generally to try and finish someone. However, also on my warrior, now what bugs me is that Blizzard nerfed Execute so that it doesn't actually seem like something that finish someone off, and gave a ton of other classes execute type spells. Hammer of Wrath, Killshot, the new warlock talent, and a few others. I highly agree that SW: D could use a nice buff, but also buff execute back to where it was before. Even if you have to nerf Sudden Death, which was most likely the reason for the nerf in the first place.

Decimate isn't meant as an Execute talent. It's meant as a dps boost for boss fights.

When your target is below 35% health, your SW : Death drains all your remaining mana and deals 0.5 point of extra damage per mana lost.

Mages have talents in the fire tree which increases damage once a target reaches a low level.

Anyway... I would rather they fixed the shadow tree before they created stupid, un-needed, gimmick talents. Fix the scaling issues we have... I hate getting newer, better, gear for raiding to only see the effort I put in get lower and lower. Why take a shadow priest if you can bring a boomkin for the very same utility with more damage done? Don't even start with Vampiric Embrace... if your healers need the minor healing from vampiric embrace... then you should just stop raiding now.

And for the love of pete... Stop putting a truck load of haste on our tier sets if you are unwilling to scale ALL of our damage over time spells with haste!

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic
    Every class should have a sub-35% "execute" type ability in my opinion, but not something that is spammable.

For example.
    Warlocks: Decimate or Drain Soul
    Mages: Molten Fury
    Rogues: Dirty Deeds or Prey on the Weak (not an execute, but up 90% of fights)
    Death Knight: ______

etc.

The question is how to give each class an ability that behaves like execute but is not spammable and keeping things fair
    Fixed a few of them for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou
    Decimate isn't meant as an Execute talent. It's meant as a dps boost for boss fights.
    Considering it's only usable on targets below 35%? Yeah. That's generally what's referred to as "Execute" range. It's an execute talent.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Auto-crit and backlash removal would work well enough I suppose, although considering the cooldown it wouldn't be a huge DPS increase.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Fixed a few of them for you.Considering it's only usable on targets below 35%? Yeah. That's generally what's referred to as "Execute" range. It's an execute talent.
    However, it does not do additional damage. Sure, it casts faster, but that's about it, and requires you incinerate first, AND let it hit before the effect procs.

Decimate is no more of an execute than Shadow Word: Death with the glyph is.

If it caused Soul Fire to do more damage on targets under 35% health, then it'd be an execute, but it doesn't. A warlock's execute is Drain Soul, not Decimate. Or did you not see the 4x damage on targets under 20% health they have on Drain Soul?

Myzou, have you only seen the damage of soul fire with decimation ?
    it's beetween 9k(non crit) and 21k (crit) !

Of course there is resilience etc etc but well I don't think it will make ahuge difference.

Warlocks won't use dran soul anymore....

It's not because we like a steack that we want to know who's the cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shad47
    Myzou, have you only seen the damage of soul fire with decimation ?
    it's beetween 9k(non crit) and 21k (crit) !

Of course there is resilience etc etc but well I don't think it will make ahuge difference.

Warlocks won't use dran soul anymore....

Again.

IT DOES NOT INCREASE THE DAMAGE. -.- All it does is increase Cast time by 30% AFTER YOUVE HIT SOMETHING that's ALREADY under 35%, and you have to wait for it to connect.

It makes you cast faster. ZOMG, Borrowed Time does the same thing for disc.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    It's a decent idea for PvP, but I just think it would really clutter our rotation in PvE.
    I would think you guys would welcome a part of a fight where the best spell can be spammed because it's the absolute best thing to do without worrying about "delayed cast time damage" (or whatever that math term is called) and MF "clipping" correctly. S-Priests have it rough since they aren't on a real rotation, but rather a "priority" list, which is what makes S-Priests as difficult to maximize as they are.

Know what I mean? I've never played shadow but I do read up on it when I can.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Again.

IT DOES NOT INCREASE THE DAMAGE. -.- All it does is increase Cast time by 30% AFTER YOUVE HIT SOMETHING that's ALREADY under 35%, and you have to wait for it to connect.

Decimation is an Execute simply because it allows the lock to do more dps than normal. I view execute talents/spells as talents/spells that allows the class/spec to do more dps in execute range than when out of execute range.

In execute range, Decimation allows the lock to replace shadowbolt with Soulfire that costs no soul shards and is casted 60% faster, so therefor, Decimation is an execute talent.

For example.
    Warlocks: Decimate or Drain Soul
    Mages: Molten Fury
    Rogues: Dirty Deeds or Prey on the Weak (not an execute, but up 90% of fights)
    Death Knight: Merciless Combat
    One more.

Again.

Since when does an increase in haste not cause an increase in dps? What about bloodlust/heroism? Oh my bad they obviously don't increase dps at all.

Execute Abilities/Effects - Abilities/Effects named after execute, the original finishing move that warriors have to finish off an enemy quickly once they reach 20%. It is basically anything that increases DPS. It does not need to be a direct damage increase, just something to increase dps, remember than dps isn't damage per spell its damage over TIME.

With the new buff to dev plague you can just spam that.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    It's a decent idea for PvP, but I just think it would really clutter our rotation in PvE.
    Maybe not with haste effecting dots, it's gonna be a whole new ball game. Shadow priests, affliction locks, and resto druids are now going to take the most skill to play IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGann
    Maybe not with haste effecting dots, it's gonna be a whole new ball game. Shadow priests, affliction locks, and resto druids are now going to take the most skill to play IMO.
    Shadow already had one of the most complex rotations in the game.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Shadow already had one of the most complex rotations in the game.
    Oh I know, I have raided as shadow since vanilla, but it was always easy to time when to put up your next vt/dp. With the haste it is all going to change again, and make things even more difficult. We will be a completely freestyle rotation, and even our priority list will have to be looked at.

If target is below 20% health, SW: D does 300% damage.

SW: P has a 5% chance per tick to make SW: D do this regardless of health percentage.

Solid change imo

Again.

One could argue that as soul fire is a huge long casting nuke, and by reducing the casting time by a big percentage on targets at low health, it does act as an execute. Especially if you consider the warlock might not usually be able to get chance to cast it otherwise.

You are arguing semantics :P