Deleted

why you should not trust rawr

i just started up rawr and i thought: why not let the optimizer work for it.

so i checked off all the top gear and enchants for all slots, started up the optimizer, told it to optimize it all (gems, enchants, gear, buffs) with the highest thoroughness.

after 5 minutes of work, it seems rawr was done.

what it gave me, however, i did not understand...

first off: no enchants. this was weird.

then, i checked the spec, and that was so laughable...

a 13/10/48 spec like in here: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sqq0oZy0oZqrzxRIhhdIbchaZm!! i would not even think that any self respecting paladin would rape his spec that much.

and to top it off: comet's trail where i think darkmoon card: greatness would be better. the other trinket was death's choice, but i have seen them stack on the PTR.

well, is this some kind of sick joke by rawr? or is this really the new kid in town? because that would be so messed up...

Re: why you should not trust rawr

You have clearly not been using it correctly.
    Don't know about optimizer, but it sounds kinda.. Broken in the current build? :

I've had a similar experience with the latest version of RAWR. As I try to re-balance stats with integrating T9 upgrades with my existing T8.5, I looked to RAWR as a reliable source for theory-crafting and stats balancing. As I ran the optimizer and made some manual changes, I finally felt like I was going in the right direction, but those changes actually lowered my overall damage and dps. I don't want to blame the program outright because I am an experienced player that understands game and class mechanics, and I chose to go against my intuition. After this experience and one other like it, I will not use this program in the future. Some people swear by RAWR and good luck to them, but for me, it just isn't the savior it's purported to be in the current build.

15+ Year Old Account

too lazy to make your own set? :P
    never used the optimizer, never going
    it break the fun i get putting a set together and making everything work together

its most likely broken or you are blaming the program because of your ignorance

15+ Year Old Account

What's a rawr?

Also, if you aren't capable of either a. asking someone else what good stat optimization is or b. figuring it out on your own, then you don't need to. c. post about a mod that does all of the work for you and does it poorly.

Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    a 13/10/48 spec like in here: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sqq0oZy0oZqrzxRIhhdIbchaZm!! i would not even think that any self respecting paladin would rape his spec that much
    not speccing into crusader strike and devine storm is way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    What's a rawr?

Also, if you aren't capable of either a. asking someone else what good stat optimization is or b. figuring it out on your own, then you don't need to. c. post about a mod that does all of the work for you and does it poorly.
    Oh great master, please tell me in the 15 seconds I have to roll on a new item whether it's worth breaking my 4 Piece bonus on one set to get an off set item of the next tier? Or, great master, please tell me in the 15 seconds I have to roll on a new item whether it's worth picking up and having to reshuffle other gear (I keep a collection) to get back to hit or exp cap?

Rawr is a very useful tool, but as someone said, it should be tempered by your own intuition and experience.

Optimizer, for example, rarely produces sets that it deems are better than the set I manually put together.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala

Optimizer, for example, rarely produces sets that it deems are better than the set I manually put together.
    QFT

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    Oh great master, please tell me in the 15 seconds I have to roll on a new item whether it's worth breaking my 4 Piece bonus on one set to get an off set item of the next tier? Or, great master, please tell me in the 15 seconds I have to roll on a new item whether it's worth picking up and having to reshuffle other gear (I keep a collection) to get back to hit or exp cap?

Rawr is a very useful tool, but as someone said, it should be tempered by your own intuition and experience.

I do the same with gear, but I'm a whiz with numbers and know what's best for my class setup.

Also, it's best to research gear BEFORE that 15 seconds you need to roll to know what gear upgrades will be best for you. That way you don't even have to worry about that fifteen seconds, you know if you want to roll after the first three.

On a side note, your guild gives you 15 seconds to roll on gear? That's quite generous, most people give 5.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    I do the same with gear, but I'm a whiz with numbers and know what's best for my class setup.

Also, it's best to research gear BEFORE that 15 seconds you need to roll to know what gear upgrades will be best for you. That way you don't even have to worry about that fifteen seconds, you know if you want to roll after the first three.

On a side note, your guild gives you 15 seconds to roll on gear? That's quite generous, most people give 5.
    15 by the time the ML gets to that piece. And by then we're clearing trash on the way to the next boss. :P

I'm very good with numbers too, but I can't be arsed to research every drop in advance. I know in general what I want out of the instance (tier gloves, for example), but I just don't have time to know every available option (non-tier gloves, for example). And, when the drop requires reshuffling of gear to meet caps, I like to use Rawr to play with options.

Just my style. Rawr can't replace intuition, knowledge, or experience but it can add to them.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by lave
    not speccing into crusader strike and devine storm is way to go
    DIVINE - sigh.

On topic: What's a rawr?

rawr is overrated,

use ur brain kktnxbai

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05
    rawr is overrated,

use ur brain kktnxbai
    Rawr is by no means over rated, but some people seem to use it for purposes unintended.

Rawr is nothing but a giant wow calculator. If you use x y and z your dps will be *

I never have used it to compose an entire set of gear/spec for me as thats honestly just lazy, and even more so you wouldnt ask a calculator to answer a essay question so as such I wouldnt ask it to compose a perfect gear set for me. If you use it as its intended IE loading your armory profile, and using it to mine specific information for each individual slot to weigh its impact on your overall dps you will always come out a winner.

For the record a personal illustration of a devices percieved failure does little more than stand as .001% of times it may have messed up. You do nothing to devalue the application or its useage. The only real thing you did here was to show how much of a fool you are in trying to debunk one of wow's most beloved tools for being the best you can be, as well as show your own inability to grasp how to utilize the tool.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Refreshment
    You have clearly not been using it correctly.
    Don't know about optimizer, but it sounds kinda.. Broken in the current build? :
    Don't use the optimizer.

Also, it's like any other program that uses input.

Garbage in, Garbage out.

Garbage in, Garbage out.
    QFT

I can't speak to the paladin model, but the Feral models are pretty solid.

If it's telling you no enchants, that means you didn't go through and mark any enchants as available. It's a common new user problem that I think they're looking at changing for Rawr 3.0. Under 'Comparisons', pull down 'Slot:' and select 'Enchants'. If you want to have it consider any gems not included in the gemming templates ('Tools' -> 'Edit Gemming Templates...'), you can select them from the list under 'Slot:' -> 'Gems'.

For those who haven't seen it: http://rawr.codeplex.com is the homepage of Rawr, a theorycrafting tool. It's developed in C# .Net by a group of volunteers as a collection of separate modules that plug in to the UI. The modules for each class are developed by different people, and some of them can be generously described as shaky. Others are very well done; I've had good success with Rawr.Cat, Rawr.Bear, and Rawr.Mage.
    Feral since 1.4.

u obv dont know what you are talking about. that 1% dodge is boosting your dps by more than you probably think

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    too lazy to make your own set? :P
    never used the optimizer, never going
    it break the fun i get putting a set together and making everything work together

its most likely broken or you are blaming the program because of your ignorance
    Here pretty much. Usually its better for automatically uploading your Armory profile. Typically I do this, and then slot in BiS pieces for each gear tier, and load RAWR before every raid so if a potential upgrade drops, I can tell if it is indeed a worthy upgrade and see how far into the future until I will replace it.

Deleted

seem like some people misunderstood my intentions.

i rarely use rawr for gear calculations. however, some people use sims like rawr and enhsim to calculate what they should be able to do and what their best upgrades are. my intentions were to make this a post for fun, to show that people who are not smart enough to make their own gear decisions, rawr can be detrimental to their DPS.

rawr can be good for determining what upgrades might be good, but you will always make the best decisions for your spec by thinking yourself.

remember, don't let a machine think for you.